The Haters thread

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
But what was it, why should <strike>WE,</strike> the characters in the film care?

THE fatal flaw was the Skull.

Indy didn't particularly care, and he had to be forced into the adventure, by both Spalko and the Skull.

It was important to her, for whatever edge finding Akator would give the Soviet Union. And from that Indy did what he could to hinder the operation. Therefore KOTCS lacks from not having Indy's impetus. He wanted the Ark out of pride; at first he wanted fortune and glory from the Sankara Stones; and he wanted to save his father (the Grail was a side issue, and therefore just as irrelevant as the Skull to Indy).

KOTCS failed because there was no concerted effort to make the audience believe that anything really mattered: and that was betrayed through the characters.

Udvarnoky said:
How effectively conveyed were the wants and fears of Indy4's characters?
Montana Smith said:
KOTCS failed because there was no concerted effort to make the audience believe that anything really mattered.

Ultimately the creative talents could not craft a compelling story around the Crystal Skull of Akator.

What do you do when the film's director doesn't like the macguffin?

You make Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Udvarnoky

I think Darabont orchestrated something way better under many of the same constraints that the final screenwriter was bound by, but that's just me. To be fair though the story obviously changed in the intervening years. The point is, I'm more inclined to blame the talents.

Also, it sounds like Spielberg wasn't particularly enamored with the McGuffin of Temple of Doom, either, but the end result still feels like he was behind the production in a way that wasn't true of Crystal Skull.

Montana Smith said:
Indy didn't particularly care, and he had to be forced into the adventure, by both Spalko and the Skull.

I don't think Indy being drug into the adventure against his will is a problem - I liked that aspect, and it doesn't mean the heroes could not have had a real investment in the adventure, whether it was for the skull or simply to save their own skin. The movie simply isn't interested in providing motivation beyond lip service. In a theoretical sense, Indy had to help the Russians in order to save Marion and the kid, but why should we take those stakes seriously when the movie doesn't? The characters in this movie only fear death when it is deemed convenient. In essence, the **** never gets real.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Ultimately the creative talents could not craft a compelling story around the Crystal Skull of Akator.

What do you do when the film's director doesn't like the macguffin?

You make Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

It's certainly not good when the director isn't comfortable with the material he's given, and virtually admits he only did it because George was an old friend.

Udvarnoky said:
I don't think Indy being drug into the adventure against his will is a problem - I liked that aspect, and it doesn't mean the heroes could not have had a real investment in the adventure, whether it was for the skull or simply to save their own skin. The movie simply isn't interested in providing motivation beyond lip service. In a theoretical sense, Indy had to help the Russians in order to save Marion and the kid, but why should we take those stakes seriously when the movie doesn't? The characters in this movie only fear death when it is deemed convenient. In essence, the **** never gets real.

What I didn't like was Indy's constant lack of free will. That was fine to begin with, but he never really got to break the shackles. In the end he was even shackled to Marion!

But there was a problem with fear of death. Who in their right minds drives a vehicle full of family and friends over a cliff and hopes a tree will lower them to safety? I know it was a literal cliffhanger, but given the options I think it would have been safer to face the Russkies!

Udvarnoky

Montana Smith said:
What I didn't like was Indy's constant lack of free will. That was fine to begin with, but he never really got to break the shackles. In the end he was even shackled to Marion!

I think this could have been corrected simply by exploiting the many opportunities in the film's final third for Indy to do some classic problem-solving that were completely squandered in favor of having the skull/Oxley cannabilize all potential conflict. Why not have the natives capture the heroes, tie them up to be sacrificed/eaten, and have Indy use his wits to organize the escape effort? Why not let Indy figure out the obelisk puzzle instead of just saying, "You figured this out in your cell, didn't you, professor?" Why couldn't gaining entry to the throne chamber have been more complicated? I don't think the storyline bound Indy's hands in this regard so much as a lack of imagination.

Montana Smith said:
But there was a problem with fear of death. Who in their right minds drives a vehicle full of family and friends over a cliff and hopes a tree will lower them to safety? I know it was a literal cliffhanger, but given the options I think it would have been safer to face the Russkies!

Absolutely. The issue with that scene isn't the plausibility of the rubber tree, but the fact that Marion is grinning from ear to ear in the confidence that it will work. The impossible saves Indiana Jones many times in the earlier movies, but when it's not by dumb luck it's a desperate gambit. It's not like he was HAPPY about having to jump out the plane or cut the rope bridge - that's part of the fun. I also don't think this issue is moot due to the fact that "you know the central heroes are going to survive in an adventure movie." They shouldn't know that.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:

It was important to her, for whatever edge finding Akator would give the Soviet Union. And from that Indy did what he could to hinder the operation. Therefore KOTCS lacks from not having Indy's impetus. He wanted the Ark out of pride; at first he wanted fortune and glory from the Sankara Stones; and he wanted to save his father (the Grail was a side issue, and therefore just as irrelevant as the Skull to Indy).

KOTCS failed because there was no concerted effort to make the audience believe that anything really mattered: and that was betrayed through the characters.

They tried to make us fear it by tellng us how the Russians would use it for mind control and gain power over over their enemies..... "We will turn you into us.And the best part?..... you won't even know its happening." That is the motivation though poorly conceived. I also think the Skull is not the movies big problem. It fails due to weak storytelling, trying to hard to surpass the action in the first three films, CGI'ing the movie to death and trying to follow a formula that is now over used. The McGuffin could be about the glory of the find or just the value even. There are tons of movies that work as just an old fashion treasure hunt. I also think it would make a more interesting plot to go another route with the sought after prize being about fame and fortune. Indy is after all an archaeologists and not all finds have a mysterious power. Let's try a fresh approach. I don't hate KOTCS or think it flat out sucks but could have been thought out better for sure.

Udvarnoky

Henry W Jones said:
They tried to make us fear it by tellng us how the Russians would use it for mind control and gain power over over their enemies..... "We will turn you into us.And the best part?..... you won't even know its happening." That is the motivation though poorly conceived.

It's not poorly conceived, but it never seems to be on Indy's mind any time after that.

Henry W Jones

Udvarnoky said:
It's not poorly conceived, but it never seems to be on Indy's mind any time after that.

Yeah. More like poorly executed. But if if it had been conceived and fleshed out better that would have fixed itself. :hat:

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
It just seems way too dismissive to me to chalk up most of the movie's problems as being inherent to the format. What culpability does the format have in limp set pieces, weak characterizations, murky plotting, disorienting pacing and pedestrian dialog, which were my problems with the movie?

Obviously, we came away from the movie perceiving different weakness, but since the weaknesses you found were tied strictly to the format, I'm curious to hear more.

I don't think I'm being dismissive, I'm simply offering my reasoning as to why I think there is sometimes a disparity between the actual quality of the movie (because I don't think it's a bad movie at all) and the criticism it gets (I brought it up in a recent thread when I talked about the acclaim Thor gets in comparison).

I'll happily accept that KOTCS has some real issues around characters not being fully developed, or indeed that there were too many characters fighting for space... but as I always say, it doesn't seem to have hurt TOD and TLC that much (excepting that KOTCS suffered to a greater extent). But again I still believe the root cause of most of the issues with KOTCS is a tired format that Spielberg/Lucas are not that willing to change.

I'm now mildly bored of seeing the character have to swing from something (with Indy fanfare) in the course of the movie... or jump from one vehicle (horse) to another. I'm bored of Indy being on a race to find something before someone else does... and when he does, the villain explodes, melts, crumbles to dust before everything collapses around him. Knowing how each and every facet of the movie (in terms of format/structure) will play out, regardless of the actual plot, leads to a sense of "been there done that".

The warehouse scene, for example (is to me anyway), very reminiscent of the mine chase/fight in TOD. I think that the warehouse scene is actually the better one... however that doesn't negate the fact that we've seen it before some 25 years previous. So in terms of context, if not terms of technicality, TOD was better because at least it was positioning it as a level of action that couldn't be matched elsewhere (at the time). In contrast, it can be argued that the action in KOTCS (although technically good) wasn't anymore challenging than the action scenes in Iron Man, Batman, Transformers etc. etc. (although I thought it was 'smarter'). Raiders and TOD were ahead of the curve, TLC on the edge and KOTCS behind. Strip away the amount of characters, give Mac a better death, give Marion more to do, get rid of the CGI monkeys etc. and I still think you'd be left with a tired format.

Udvarnoky

Interesting. You seem to be of the mind that if Indy4 had been released in the 80s, assuming the same storytelling problems but changing its position in the timeline of the action/adventure genre, its issues would not be as relevant. That you consider the majority of the movie's problems to not be transcendent of its release date or installment number means that you simply do not see the same script problems that I do. You see tiredness as cause; I see it as effect.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Interesting. You seem to be of the mind that if Indy4 had been released in the 80s, assuming the same storytelling problems but changing its position in the timeline of the action/adventure genre, its issues would not be as relevant. That you consider the majority of the movie's problems to not be transcendent of its release date or installment number means that you simply do not see the same script problems that I do. You see tiredness as cause; I see it as effect.

Nope - it would have the same shortfalls... just not as significant given the context of the day. I also think the movie would feel a lot different with a younger Ford - but that's a different topic. It's a bit like manufacturing a car in 2011 without a CD player, power steering or automatic windows just because you wanted to replicate a car (perhaps an Audi Quattro for Gene Hunt fans) that everyone loved in the 80's. That car may have been good back then (if you could go back in time), but in 2011 it would be somewhat lacking no matter how good/similar the mechanics were. Crap analogy I know but it's been a long day. :)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
As promised...

Udvarnoky said:
But that resonance was conjured by the storytellers, not the Grail itself. That different artifacts imply different storytelling possbilities doesn't change the fact that the possibilities are always there.

This is a pedantic road to go down, but I don't think that's quite true. You wouldn't choose the Crystal Skull of Akator to tell Last Crusade's story about a father-son relationship being more important than obsessive quests. And I don't know what stories you'd tell about Thor's toothbrush - the essentially human nature of the gods? <I>There's</I> an Indy V to bolster Montana's preoccupations...

Udvarnoky said:
To what use was the crystal skull's stature and notoriety put that it could not have been replaced? Whether the artifact has a real world equivalent or is product of someone's imagination (as the Sankara stones were), the mythology behind them is always a work of originality, so the relevance of it being familiar to the public doesn't really go beyond being a superficial hook. To be sure, real world history and legends are entwined with the make believe in constructing the artifact's backstory - that's one of the most enjoyable aspects of all the Indiana Jones films - but it's not like changing the crystal skull to the jade pectoral would have precluded that.

Obviously, I'm playing devil's advocate here - I would not have switched the crystal skull out with another artifact. It's a cool, somewhat well known diety carving that should have worked wonderfully with the movie's story. But I think it's pretty clear that whatever implicit merit that any given artifact supposedly packs is negligible against what the writers actually do with it. There's thematic relevance with the grail to the father/son story, but it still took a competent writer(s) to make it resonate.

As you suggest, the ark of the convenant itself probably wasn't important to a lot of people outside the context of the movie. The movie made it important and compelling. That's Kasdan, Spielberg and Lucas who summoned the intrigue - the golden box with the cherubs on it was nothing more than a tool. What's that expression about a poor carpenter?

It feels like there's a shift in the attitudes of Lucas, et al. towards the MacGuffin at some point following Temple of Doom. What I meant by the remark about the Ark's stature and notoriety is that the film relied on little more than that for its purposes. That is to say, it was a MacGuffin in the true sense of the term, as something of which the particular attributes are more or less irrelevant, so long as "importance" is one of those attributes. Not merely "importance," perhaps, but also "dangerous," as with, say, most Hitchcockian or James Bondian MacGuffins that have a role to play in war or secret destructive plots. The barely shaded in Sankara Stones are more or less the same, and we can probably argue that the story beat of Indy threatening to blow up the Ark and threatening to drop the Stones are more or less the same. (I'm stunned this has never occurred to me before, in fact, and am sadder for it.)

But then we get the Grail. The Grail has three primary attributes, as I see it: 1) It's associated with Christ and the story of the passion, 2) It's had heavy involvement in chivalric romances over the centuries, and 3) It's something that's been drunk from and can be again. Redemption and moral purity are thus themes irretrievably bound up in it, and father-son relationships aren't so far from it either. Yes, a lot of the Grail's properties were ported over from the Monkey King's immortal peaches, a myth I confess no familiarity with other, but what we get in Last Crusade is fairly organic to the Grail even if a number of its properties are newly created. Henry Sr's line about the quest for the Grail being "a race against evil" doesn't make much sense, and would be better suited for a more generic MacGuffin, but the healing power and the eternal life aspects are fairly compelling.

The crystal skull seems to have been planned to work similarly, and in this case Koepp's script is an improvement on Darabont's "choose your own adventure" climax, being more focused. I've babbled on about this plenty in the past, and still stand by it. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is obsessed with knowledge, with people going crazy, with research and mind control and repositories of knowledge and collective action. However, unlike the Grail, the skull's "plot key" qualities aren't really well integrated into this thematic structure; the Grail healing Henry Sr.'s wound is a big moment with a lot of meaning, while the Skull opening doors or scaring off ants and natives aren't.

Udvarnoky said:
There were a number of intriguing ideas associated with the skull, but ideas are worthless if they're not corralled into something with more focus than Indy4 proffers. While I'm no fan of his attitude, replican't's underlying point that the skull became an all-purpose conflict resolver is valid. Yeah, you can get away with just deciding to let the crystal skull repel ants, scare away killer natives and open chambers, but in addition to such laziness robbing those problems of more inventive and character driven solutions, it also serves to devalue the skull as an interesting artifact, because it makes its "rules" feel improvised. There's a point where skull stops being nebulous in the sense of "This is cool and mysterious!" and becomes, "Wow, they never did actually figure out what they wanted to do with this, did they?" Darth, justifying that laziness by pointing out that no one raises believability issues with the ark's powers is a false premise - it is not an issue of suspending disbelief, and the ark is not put to comparable use.

And on this I must agree with you. It was far too much of a skeleton key, there to easily fill in any plot holes. I must further concede that my appreciation of the skull's more interesting attributes and relationship with the film's other concerns (obsessions?) is one that leaves aside its electromagnetic and crowd control abilities.

I'm beginning to think what we really need is some sort of checklist so each of us can check off what we think worked in Crystal Skull, what didn't work in Crystal Skull, and what was irrelevant to it working or not.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
It feels like there's a shift in the attitudes of Lucas, et al. towards the MacGuffin at some point following Temple of Doom. What I meant by the remark about the Ark's stature and notoriety is that the film relied on little more than that for its purposes. That is to say, it was a MacGuffin in the true sense of the term, as something of which the particular attributes are more or less irrelevant, so long as "importance" is one of those attributes. Not merely "importance," perhaps, but also "dangerous," as with, say, most Hitchcockian or James Bondian MacGuffins that have a role to play in war or secret destructive plots. The barely shaded in Sankara Stones are more or less the same, and we can probably argue that the story beat of Indy threatening to blow up the Ark and threatening to drop the Stones are more or less the same. (I'm stunned this has never occurred to me before, in fact, and am sadder for it.)

There's a lot of merit in what you write.

The Last Crusade is very much concerned with obsession: Henry Sr's; Elsa's; Donovan's. And the obsession that drove a wedge between Indy and his father after his mother died.

As you've illustrated, KOTCS is very much about the search for knowledge, but also about obsession.

Going back to where Indy's journey begins, chronologically speaking, TOD uses the Sankara Stones as an attempt to cure Indy of his obsession for "fortune and glory". Though that didn't last for long. By 1938 he's still obsessing over the Cross of Coronado which slipped through his fingers a quarter century before. However, Indy is more interested in rescuing his father than he is is about acquiring a legendary artifact (though the Grail was never his personal obsession).

By 1957 Indy may actually be cured. He's content to be collecting potsherds from a dig site, and was less than enthusiastic about following the trail of a crystal skull.

For Indy V they would have to re-invigorate Indy's desire for "fortune and glory". Driven by the frustration of married life the discovery of something, referred to colloquially by an old colleague as 'Thor's Toothbrush', would therefore take him into the Arctic Circle to solve a riddle about a man frozen in a block of ice (and if George procrastinates much longer it'll be global warming revealing the body in the ice). Cue an ancient subterranean city which likely gave rise to the hollow earth theories, and a deadly secret hidden therein...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
By 1957 Indy may actually be cured. He's content to be collecting potsherds from a dig site, and was less than enthusiastic about following the trail of a crystal skull.

And maybe that's another big problem with the film. In the trilogy, Indy wanted something. The Ark would have made his career, given him lasting notoriety. The Sankara Stones seemed like an easy in to fortune and glory. And he definitely wanted to find his father.

He got excited about the skull, and then he was controlled by it, but it wasn't a strong motivation that forced him into strong action. As I said earlier in another thread:

Montana's talked about Indy's lack of free will in the plot, and there's a lot of that too, because it's not merely the skull that serves as a plot coupon at various points, but also Oxley's prior research and Mac's third act betrayals. There is no big moment on the level of threatening to blow up the ark, or cutting the bridge, or the stellar three trials/choosing the Grail/"Let it go" sequence in Last Crusade. Indy just doesn't have enough - or much of anything, really - to do once they go over that cliff and those waterfalls. For all the good bits that Koepp had in his script, nothing in it would fix that problem.

That's the real third act problem of the film.

Montana Smith said:
For Indy V they would have to re-invigorate Indy's desire for "fortune and glory". Driven by the frustration of married life the discovery of something, referred to colloquially by an old colleague as 'Thor's Toothbrush', would therefore take him into the Arctic Circle to solve a riddle about a man frozen in a block of ice (and if George procrastinates much longer it'll be global warming revealing the body in the ice). Cue an ancient subterranean city which likely gave rise to the hollow earth theories, and a deadly secret hidden therein...

Cruel of you to play on my Hollow Earth favoritism, but this isn't bad.

Montana Smith

And maybe that's another big problem with the film. In the trilogy, Indy wanted something. The Ark would have made his career, given him lasting notoriety. The Sankara Stones seemed like an easy in to fortune and glory. And he definitely wanted to find his father.

He got excited about the skull, and then he was controlled by it, but it wasn't a strong motivation that forced him into strong action. As I said earlier in another thread:

That's the real third act problem of the film.

To put it another way, we became accustomed to viewing Indy as a driving force. He was the one who galloped after a German convoy without a plan; and later leapt into the sea after a U-Boat that was potentially going to submerge. His impetuous nature got him into trouble, and it gave us great scenes of action and wry humour.

With KOTCS that driving force was gone. As I wrote before, Indy's degraded position at the beginning of the film was a fine inclusion. We see him at a low point. Yet the film-makers kept knocking him down. He was fired from the college, and he went pretty quietly. There was no scene of rage where he vowed to take back his life. The Skull at first didn't even offer him a worthy challenge. He dismissed it, just as he played down the Ark. But with the Ark his interest was piqued.

Without the impetuosity, I think we also lost the magic that accompanied it.

Cruel of you to play on my Hollow Earth favoritism, but this isn't bad.

I love the idea of a subterranean adventure. It's the essence of hidden things!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
To put it another way, we became accustomed to viewing Indy as a driving force. He was the one who galloped after a German convoy without a plan; and later leapt into the sea after a U-Boat that was potentially going to submerge. His impetuous nature got him into trouble, and it gave us great scenes of action and wry humour.

With KOTCS that driving force was gone. As I wrote before, Indy's degraded position at the beginning of the film was a fine inclusion. We see him at a low point. Yet the film-makers kept knocking him down. He was fired from the college, and he went pretty quietly. There was no scene of rage where he vowed to take back his life. The Skull at first didn't even offer him a worthy challenge. He dismissed it, just as he played down the Ark. But with the Ark his interest was piqued.

Without the impetuosity, I think we also lost the magic that accompanied it.

Yes. And his resignation played very well, I thought, for awhile. He managed to take action pretty well in the fight/chase sequences at Marshall, and the fight at the cemetery, but then he still fell into his collaboration mode with Spalko, which was an interesting note for them to play with. I am, by extension, also happy with Mutt being the one to take action in fleeing the camp.

But your "take back his life" phrase is telling. Sure, the bazooka is sort of meant as a big Indy moment, I think, what with Marion lampshading the "making it up as he goes along" nature of it, but that's not enough. It sort of seems as though we are meant to accept some entirely off-screen developments - his being officially taken back in by his country, his university, and his family - as a stand-in for some actual work on Indy's part within the story. It places what should have been the emotional climax of the film in an ellipsis between the end of the storyline and an epilogue. Sort of makes you feel like those cut lines I've grown attached to in the Stanforth scene...

You know, when you?re young you spend all your time thinking ?Who will I be?? And for years you?re busy shouting at the world ?this is who I am!? But lately I?ve been wondering -- after I?m gone, who will they say I was?

...were eliminated because they never had Indy offering any sort of answer to that question himself. Saying this implies that, likewise, they never made good on the promise of Indy entering the film by being roughly dragged from the trunk of a car. A couple of half-notes were sounded in the final act "they were archaeologists" and "I do believe, sister, that's why I'm down here", but they weren't enough. That damned final reel didn't have any drama, and nailing the landing on Mac's death wouldn't have been enough on its own. Indy needed to do more himself.

Montana Smith said:
I love the idea of a subterranean adventure. It's the essence of hidden things!

I'm tellin' ya, you've got to get ahold of those Bantam novels!

Udvarnoky

This is a pedantic road to go down, but I don't think that's quite true. You wouldn't choose the Crystal Skull of Akator to tell Last Crusade's story about a father-son relationship being more important than obsessive quests. And I don't know what stories you'd tell about Thor's toothbrush - the essentially human nature of the gods? <I>There's</I> an Indy V to bolster Montana's preoccupations...

You might not choose the crystal skull to tell your father/son story, but I don't think that was the order of operations in Last Crusade's development process. Lucas seems to start with the artifact - he had the Holy Grail selected before he and Spielberg found the father/son angle to hang on it. Once they made that breakthrough, the artifact could then be further tailored for optimal thematic relevance.

I don't think the thematic possibilities of the artifact have to be immediately obvious. It's not like the "thirst for knowledge" stuff is more inherent to the crystal skull than something else - Lucas took the paranormal beliefs about the skull and ran with it to suit his purposes vis-a-vis Indy's arc, the Red Scare, etc. I think it works very well on a conceptual level, and I think a tapestry owes more to the weaver than to the fabric.

It wasn't so much my intention to argue that any story could be seamlessly or desirably cast to any given artifact, even if I do believe it's possible for Last Crusade's story beats and themes to have worked with something other than the Holy Grail. What I'm getting at is that given a McGuffin, there is probably a good story to be found for it. Whether the Beards or their screenwriters can find it and, once found, execute on it with the kind of deftness that makes for great cinema, is another story. But god damn it, Attilla, Thor is just as susceptible to gingivitis as the rest of us.

It feels like there's a shift in the attitudes of Lucas, et al. towards the MacGuffin at some point following Temple of Doom.

This is absolutely true. Actually, I think there's a shift in their attitudes toward the franchise on the whole at that juncture. After the critical response to Temple of Doom, the Beards saw fit to lose the original James Bond model and make Indy's world a little smaller, his adventures a little more connected.

Last edited:

AlivePoet

Among my least favourite aspects of the film was the ending--getting a promotion at the university, the church wedding, hat, family man image etc.

None of that sat (and still doesn't sit) well with me. Reason being, Indy's life in the previous films (particularly the first two) is really quite antithetical compared to what we see him become at the end of this film. His image was one of an adventurer, a go-getter, a wild card; who ever considered him the hang-up-the-hat-and-settle-down type of character? I would far rather have seen the film end after the spaceship scene, walking off into the sunset or something of that sort. Derivative of Crusade, sure; but surely that would be among the least offensive elements borrowed from the other films.

The happily ever after ending is no good. It answers too many questions and closes too many doors: questions you'd rather have left unanswered, doors you'd rather have flung open at least for the imagination to run wild with speculation. Will he stay with Marion? Get his job back? How many more adventures will he have? Where will he go next? While the ending doesn't put a permanent adventure-less stamp on the aftermath, it ties him down too much.

Since that can't be undone, here's what I hope would happen from there: Marion dies in a car accident (or in some freak incident); Mutt is angry and leaves Indy; Indy starts drinking again and quits or is fired from his job; he's taking it hard and turns sour; but something happens whereby Marcus' (hypothetical) daughter (if he had one) gets ahold of Indy to let him know that she is in danger and is being closely monitored by the feds, due to the belief that Marcus knew about a (insert macguffin here) artifact, resulting in Indy reluctantly going through Marcus' old things, finding the secret letter he intended for Indy but never came to him. This gives Indy motivation to embark again, this time to Europe/Asia and find this while fleeing the corrupt US feds. Tie in something about the cold war, development with Indy and Marcus' daughter (romance?), plenty of humour, maybe return of Sallah, add another new character and principal villain (a corrupt US fed), mystery, and legitimate danger (maybe a torture scene with Indy getting captured by the feds)...actually make us feel that Indy could die.

Just an idea...:whip:

Darth Vile

AlivePoet said:
Among my least favourite aspects of the film was the ending--getting a promotion at the university, the church wedding, hat, family man image etc.

None of that sat (and still doesn't sit) well with me. Reason being, Indy's life in the previous films (particularly the first two) is really quite antithetical compared to what we see him become at the end of this film. His image was one of an adventurer, a go-getter, a wild card; who ever considered him the hang-up-the-hat-and-settle-down type of character? I would far rather have seen the film end after the spaceship scene, walking off into the sunset or something of that sort. Derivative of Crusade, sure; but surely that would be among the least offensive elements borrowed from the other films.

The happily ever after ending is no good. It answers too many questions and closes too many doors: questions you'd rather have left unanswered, doors you'd rather have flung open at least for the imagination to run wild with speculation. Will he stay with Marion? Get his job back? How many more adventures will he have? Where will he go next? While the ending doesn't put a permanent adventure-less stamp on the aftermath, it ties him down too much.

Since that can't be undone, here's what I hope would happen from there: Marion dies in a car accident (or in some freak incident); Mutt is angry and leaves Indy; Indy starts drinking again and quits or is fired from his job; he's taking it hard and turns sour; but something happens whereby Marcus' (hypothetical) daughter (if he had one) gets ahold of Indy to let him know that she is in danger and is being closely monitored by the feds, due to the belief that Marcus knew about a (insert macguffin here) artifact, resulting in Indy reluctantly going through Marcus' old things, finding the secret letter he intended for Indy but never came to him. This gives Indy motivation to embark again, this time to Europe/Asia and find this while fleeing the corrupt US feds. Tie in something about the cold war, development with Indy and Marcus' daughter (romance?), plenty of humour, maybe return of Sallah, add another new character and principal villain (a corrupt US fed), mystery, and legitimate danger (maybe a torture scene with Indy getting captured by the feds)...actually make us feel that Indy could die.

Just an idea...:whip:

I think that would make for a rather bleak movie... given that the character/actor is much older now. I think the challenge is that (within a mainstream movie) you can get away with beating up on your character, both pysically and mentally, much more when they are younger and the audience have the belief that the character can turn it around/win it back. Do it with a much older character and the risk is that they inadvertently make him look weak and old. I don't particularly want to see Indy looking looking like that.

If any Indy V is to see Indy removed from the shackles of surburban life (which I'd be up for), I think that can easily be achieved by having him away on an expedition etc. rather than killing off Marion or estranging him from Mutt again. In fact, it would be nice to know (given that we are dealing with an older character who should have progressed in life) that after a big action packed, dangerous adventure he can return back to his oridinary, but rather pleasant suburban life. :)

AlivePoet

Darth Vile said:
I think that would make for a rather bleak movie... given that the character/actor is much older now. I think the challenge is that (within a mainstream movie) you can get away with beating up on your character, both pysically and mentally, much more when they are younger and the audience have the belief that the character can turn it around/win it back. Do it with a much older character and the risk is that they inadvertently make him look weak and old. I don't particularly want to see Indy looking looking like that.

You make some fine points Darth. Also it would be a bit depressing to see him lose everything at such a late point in his life, and then turn to the drink to top it off. Such a storyline would be a fair slap in the face to this film's ending though, which I wouldn't mind... :)

Darth Vile said:
If any Indy V is to see Indy removed from the shackles of surburban life (which I'd be up for), I think that can easily be achieved by having him away on an expedition etc. rather than killing off Marion or estranging him from Mutt again. In fact, it would be nice to know (given that we are dealing with an older character who should have progressed in life) that after a big action packed, dangerous adventure he can return back to his oridinary, but rather pleasant suburban life. :)

Well, sure he's progressed in life...but to the point where he only stands to lose what he has. What is there left for him to gain? Your idea for him going away on an expedition of sorts while retaining family man status doesn't sit well with me...I imagine he'd be less of a risk-taker ("making this up as I go"), and even more subdued than he was in KotCS. While this might naturally come with age and experience, I feel that the family man image would further hold back the Indy we want to see.

But, that Indy rode off into the sunset a good 20+ years ago, so maybe it's best we stop hoping that he'd come back the same. He already didn't...