Favorite western

Finn

Staff member
Well, the topic is self-explaining.

I must say that I really liked "the Searchers" and "Once upon a Time in West", but my all-time favorite must be the original "the Magnificent Seven".

The theme music is excellent, and there really are some great lines to repeat again and again.

"What about that fellow? He's got a lot of scars."
"I'd rather find the one who's made those scars."

"Once in El Paso, I saw a man to jump all naked in the middle of cacti. When he got out and I asked him why, he replied: It seemed like a good idea at the time being."

But then again... what is <i>your</i> favorite western?

<small>(Attila, I bet you have something to say here.)</small>

DrJones56

IndyFan
The Searchers,

High Noon,

Tombstone,

True Grit,

The absolute greates westerns ever made. Well, that and just about every other John Wayne western out there... :D

00Kevin

Indyfan
sadly, I havn't seen many westerns, I want to, but havn't seen any yet, but I have seen some good western comedies :D, my top 5 favorite western spoofs/comedies:

5)City Slickers 2
4)3 Amigos
3)Bazing Saddles
2)Shanghai Noon
1)Shanghai Knights

ask attila, He is probubly the western expert on the raven.............................................................

Attila the Professor

Staff member
First off...I haven't gotten around to The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Tombstone, or The Magnificent Seven yet...but I will.

Anyway, and this is directly quoted from another thread:

*High Noon - great psychological and suspenseful western, about a town marshal (Gary Cooper, in one of his best performances) who must get help from the townspeople against 4 outlaws coming to town, but all of the people have their own reasons for not helping; a fascinating examination of morals, and one of my favorite films

*The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - excellent western taking place during the civil war with Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef, and Eli Wallach as 3 outlaws forming an uneasy allaince to recover gold; the great score and fantastic camerawork of the Old West (actually filmed in Spain) make this film - watch for the 5 minutes leading up to the gunfight at the end

*The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - I can't say enough about John Ford, but his last great Western really takes everything he did before and builds upon it in this fascinating study of the skewing of the line between fact and legend, and civilization and wilderness; I recommend seeing some other John Ford Western's before this though, including Young Mr. Lincoln, My Darling Clementine, and Fort Apache, before seeing this one - you'll be able to appreciate it better that way; stars John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Lee Marvin as the 3 title characters (if you've seen the film, you know what I mean)

*Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - classic buddy film about 2 bank robbers, Paul Newman the intelligent planner who has never killed a man, and Robert Redford, the gunslinger, who need to flee to Bolivia to avoid capture by the Superposse, a group brought together by the president of the Union Pacific railroad; one of the very best passing of the West films (the Superposse is a symbol of the advancing times and technology)

*Red River - John Wayne stars as an early prototype for his later Ethan Edwards character, and Montgomery Cliff is his adopted son; the best of the cattle drive films; in a way, this is a western version of Mutiny on the Bounty, but this time Fletcher Christian is Bligh's son; Wayne vows to kill Cliff, but once he finally catches up with him...well, the ending is a bit weak, but everything else is great

All of these films, as well as The Searchers, are often contenders for the title of the Greatest Western Film Ever. I highly recommend all of them.

However, currently, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence gets my nod...I'll mention the scene where Strother Martin, in that weird voice of his, says "I'll get it, Liberty!", regarding a steak that John Wayne wants Liberty to pick up, and Wayne kicks him in the face.

wolfgang

Lets see, my favorite western...I am not such a fan of western movies, but I love the "Escape from New York" movie with its magnificent sequel "Escape from L.A" if you can consider them western. I also give the Clint Eastwood movies a chance.

swords

You can consider them Sci-fi Westerns. John Carpenter is a fan of a lot westerns, especially the no name trilogy. He says a lot of his work was influenced by them. The original is awesome, great flick, good atmosphere.

Pilot

In addition to those already mentioned, I like the following: The Professionals, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, the two Lone Ranger Movies with Clayton Moore, McKenna's Gold, Big Jake, Five Card Stud, and the Hopalong Cassidy movies. I'm sure there are others, but I can't recall them just now.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I been meaning to respond here for a couple of months now, but haven't gotten around to it, but anyway...

I have finally seen Once Upon a Time in the West, and I must say, it is incredible. I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it certainly would be near the top of my list.

Some points:

-Henry Fonda as Frank ("now that you've said my name..." ;)) was extraordinary. Really briallant, having one of the great Western stars play against type as one of the most cold-blooded villains ever to cross the Western plains. Incredible he wasn't on the AFI 100 Heroes & Villians List

-Ennio Morricone's score...perhaps his best work, particularly "The Man with the Harmonica" ("play for your ever-lovin' brother)...though I'm rather fond of Cheyenne's theme as well

-Monument Valley's brief appearance - another "reference" to the "old" Western movies, John Ford's old stomping-grounds take on a whole 'nother director

-the opening scene, a pretty obvious reference to High Noon, is wonderful, without the dialogue...although I would have preferred it with Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef, and Eli Wallach (the good, the bad, and the ugly), as Leone originally wanted

The French Indy

-Unforgiven(the ending just rocks)

-Pale Rider

-The Outlaw Josey Whales

-Desperado

-Once upon a time in the west

-Young Guns

-The Good, the bad and the ugly

As you can see, i'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan :)

EvilNazi

my dad considers
"the seven magnificent" "high noon", "shane" and "the alamo" the best. he has a more valuable opinion, since he is an old man of the generation of the 50's.

i dont like westerns that much but "the good, the bad and the ugly" is my favourite

actually, "pale rider" is sth like a remake of "shane", i didnt like it that much

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I should mention that Once Upon a Time in the West is now out in a 2-disc DVD set, with some documentaries and an audio commentary. It's a pretty good set, in case any of you are interested.

"What are we gonna do with this one, Frank?"

"Now that you've called me by name..."

grumpus

im going to have to say "the man with no name" trilogy. the good the bad and the ugly, the shootout at the end is great

EvilDevo

tom selleck plays matthew quigley
quigley down under, tombstone, city slickers (1 and 2) and back to the future 3 (hah hah) are my favorites!