mel gibson's the passion

hffan2000

hi,
been reading about the new movie mel gibson is making on the last hours of christ's life and i'm really excited to see it. looks like it'll be a great film. possibly the most accurate film on the passion that's been done. what do you guys think about this movie?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah yes...another film about Christ and the crucifixtion. Well, I haven't heard much about this one, except that it's expected to increase anti-Semitism.

hffan2000

well as far as it possibly being anti-semitic, i don't think it will cause i think he's got the good sense not to cut anything that could be percieved as such. i mean you couldn't make a movie about Jesus and do it right by being anti-semitic cause he was a jew. i guess we'll see when it comes out.

bob

Even though i am not religious i am intrigued by this film, it seems incredibly daring to make such a unique personal vision....

As for the Anti-Semitism you must walk a fine line between making the movie accurate to the Gospel accounts and not making it anti-semitic one which can be pulled off by a little common sense...

But i do admit i am a little confused about how Gibson can claim to be wanting to be extremely accurate when a 3 hr movie is being made out of a couple of thousand words

Venture

Commenting on this one without seeing it could get me in a lot of trouble. Needless to say, I'll be in the ticket line.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Cain said:
Commenting on this one without seeing it could get me in a lot of trouble. Needless to say, I'll be in the ticket line.
Here here.
My pastor (Ted Haggard) was honored to be chosen to see this film. He has his head on straight, and rest assured there is nothing that is anti-Jew or anything of that sort in this film. After all, Jesus was a Jew...

hffan2000

i simply can't wait for this movie. i think it will reach alot of people and maybe even some will come to know christ. i'm just glad to hear there's no anti- jewish scenes in it. i'm going to the theaters to catch this one.

Finn

Staff member
Wasn't this the movie where all the characters will be speaking only Hebrew, Aramaic and Latin?

And as far as I've heard, Gibson intends not to even subtitle it... "this solution is good for the soul".

There wouldn't be many people on this Earth who would catch every spoken word in this flick...

[Edited by Finn on 10-06-2003 at 12:59 am]

Yolegoman

If that rumour is true, Mr Finn, then I will be very shocked...

Hmm.

"Go's to dig up link to trailer he saw some time ago"

Be right back!

The Fan Website: http://www.passion-movie.net/

The Trailers: http://www.passion-movie.net/english/trailer.html

Wow.

Found this in the FAQ:

Q. Is THE PASSION really going to be in Hebrew, Latin, and Aramaic?

(A) Yes, all spoken language in THE PASSION is either in Latin, Aramaic, or Hebrew. It is still under discussion as to whether or not there will be subtitles in the theater release. Rough cuts of the film that have been seen do contain subtitles throughout the film.

[Edited by Yolegoman on 10-05-2003 at 03:03 pm]

Finn

Staff member
BTW, this gives me a good occasion to rant about the correct spelling of antic Latin.

The way Pilatus says the famous phrase "Ecce, homo" (Look, he's a man") said with an American accent ("Eche Oumou") sounds so terrific, that it makes a latinist shiver.

The correct way to pronounce the phrase in antic Latin would be something like "Ekke, hoomo".

Maybe Gibson has given a language course to his actors, but he should have chosen his teachers more carefully.

Marcus Petrius

Be carefull when talking about transliteration and pronounciation of classis languages. If you say something wrong the modern Greeks and Italians will get mighty pissed.

Finn

Staff member
Thanks for advice, but...

No need to warn me about that, I am a Latin student (among with my other professions) and should know something about these things... ;)

Blofeld

I can't wait!!!

I can't wait to see this movie.

Even though I'm an atheist/agnostic(I don't believe in any of the world's religions and I've just about tried them all but ultimately I don't know if there is a higher power)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, it seems I'm agreeing with you again, Ren.

Literature...a real shame people don't know it better. We really must discuss it sometime...some pretense of a thread, I suppose...or the Mercenary Lounge.

Finn

Staff member
Guys, I wasn't complaining about their language.
I was complaining about the <i>spelling</i> that would make any Roman think that the speaker is a barbarian...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Finn said:
Guys, I wasn't complaining about their language.
I was complaining about the <i>spelling</i> that would make any Roman think that the speaker is a barbarian...

Yeah, I know...but they brought up literature, somehow, so I had to jump on the bandwagon.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I understand the to issues that surround this film are the Anti-semitism accusations and the breakdown of the Vatican II theological work. I am sure this will be the second thread in the film classics that gets locked, but not after we all get a chance to discuss it after seeing it. If you don't think it is big news, check this out....

Passion

[Edited by apalehorse on 02-10-2004 at 09:12 am]