The Producers remake

00Kevin

Indyfan
good news for you old Mel Brooks fans, the classic film/broadway production is ganna be remade with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick!

From IMDB:

'The Producers' Goes Full Circle

A spokesman for Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane has confirmed a Daily Variety report that the two stars of the Broadway version of The Producers will star in a new movie adaptation that will go before the cameras early next year. Simon Wells, the spokesman for Lane and Broderick, told today's (Wednesday) New York Times that the film will be shot in New York, with Mel Brooks producing and writing the screenplay with Thomas Meehan (who also collaborated with Brooks on the Broadway book). Wells also indicated that the movie will be directed by Susan Stroman, who directed the stage version.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ah, wunderbar!

I was hoping they might do this...even though 'The Producers' (the film) is a classic, I think the stage version will become a classic in its own right, so it is just as well that they film it. It's happened before...Pygmalion comes to mind.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Well, it just set a record as the most profitable production on Broadway, but I am not sure that is adj. for inflation.

Kate

I love the original film, I don't believe that Broderick could top Gene's performance as the accountant.