Predators

deckard24

So the reboot of the Predator Franchise is getting ready to start filming soon, and this time it's Robert Rodriguez behind the camera. Now for those of you who don't know Rodriguez's work, he's the guy behind Sin City, From Dusk Til Dawn, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Rodriguez definitely is talented, but his films are really hit-or-miss in my opinion, and whether or not he's the right one to reboot this franchise is up in the air. One thing is for sure though, this series really needs a comeback. The original is a terrific sci-fi/horror film, and one of Schwarzenegger's best. The sequel was not nearly as good as Arnie's installment, but still delivered some good scenes. I'm really interested to see what Rodriguez will do with the film, now titled Predators, and for those interested here is a video clip describing in detail the script: Warning Major Spoilers http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42545

One thing that I can give away that's not spoilerish, is the basic premise of the film, which apparently has a group of warriors from Earth being abducted and brought to the Predator's homeworld (a giant game park so to speak) for hunting purposes. Think The Most Dangerous Game on an Alien world, with plenty of blood and gore!

So what do you guys think?

Dr Bones

Heard it all before about how this Pred movie will be better this time...:rolleyes:

I also don't care much for Rodriguez over the top action and gore in the films you mention. I found Sin City very overrated.

Hope the new pred film is good as I have a lot of love for the original.

deckard24

Dr Bones said:
Hope the new pred film is good as I have a lot of love for the original.
You and me both!

As for Rodriguez's films, I really liked From Dusk Til Dawn and Desperado, Sin City had its moments, and Once Upon A Time in Mexico was a total mess. Planet Terror was so-so, but I thought Death Proof was the better of the two Grindhouse flicks. He definitely has the ability to handle action and horror well, it's still too early to tell whether he can do sci-fi too.

Montana Smith

No doubt Predators will be predictable, but that's the nature of these films. There's popularity in the familiar, and I always look forward to seeing the Xenomorphs or Yautja re-appear.

So far there have been 8 Alien or Predator movies and they've followed a pattern:

One Alien (Alien)
Lots of Aliens (Aliens)
One Alien (Alien 3)
Lots of Aliens (Alien Resurrection)

Predator in wilderness (Predator)
Predator in city (Predator 2)

Aliens vs Predators in wilderness (AvP)
Aliens vs Predators in city (AvP 2)

Still waiting for Alien 5, which was supposed to follow the story of the Space Jockey ship in Aliens, and where they picked all the eggs up from.

Montana Smith

Peru1936 said:
This whole rebooting thing is getting/has gotten completely ridiculous.

I know, it's one remake after another. Has to be a legacy of the Hollywood writers' strike. At least with the Aliens and Predator series each one adds a bit more to the chronology.

Dr Bones

Montana Smith said:
So far there have been 8 Alien or Predator movies and they've followed a pattern:

Yep.......really good, good, then disapointingly garbage, then more garbage..(n)

Chewbacca Jones

deckard24 said:
So the reboot of the Predator Franchise is getting ready to start filming soon, and this time it's Robert Rodriguez behind the camera. Now for those of you who don't know Rodriguez's work, he's the guy behind Sin City, From Dusk Til Dawn, Desperado, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

I think... I'm going to ignore this movie with a great deal of enthusiasm. I'm sure plenty will disagree, but the list of movies above are nothing to rejoice over. :sleep:

Peru1936 said:
This whole rebooting thing is getting/has gotten completely ridiculous.

I'm totally with you on that. This stupid trend of making useless reboots and/or remakes of classic films, one after the other... I really can't stand it anymore. It's almost like they all suddenly became incapable of working some new ideas, their own possibly.

But in this specific case, well, the film is actually a sequel to the first two. Or at least, this is what Rodriguez stated some time ago.

The Man

<object width="720" height="455"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/19594"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/19594" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="455"></embed></object>​

caats

Montana Smith said:
No doubt Predators will be predictable, but that's the nature of these films. There's popularity in the familiar, and I always look forward to seeing the Xenomorphs or Yautja re-appear.

One Alien (Alien)
Lots of Aliens (Aliens)
One Alien (Alien 3)
Lots of Aliens (Alien Resurrection)

Predator in wilderness (Predator)
Predator in city (Predator 2)

Aliens vs Predators in wilderness (AvP)
Aliens vs Predators in city (AvP 2)

Still waiting for Alien 5, which was supposed to follow the story of the Space Jockey ship in Aliens, and where they picked all the eggs up from.

didn't the first AvP happen in a temple or something? like a pyramid? not really the wilderness.

i'm not sure Alien 5 is that story. Where'd you read that? I can't see how people wouldn't be a bit interested in alien 5. ridley scott returning to direct!!?? heck yeah.

i'd like to point out that Robert Rodriguez isn't directing, just hands on producing.

And this isn't a reboot per se, just a return to the original feel of flicks. There wasn't anything linking the movies except the predators anyway. so reboot complaints (which are understandable) don't really float for me here. honestly if it's good (ie Star Trek), i don't care.

Montana Smith

caats said:
didn't the first AvP happen in a temple or something? like a pyramid? not really the wilderness.

And the temple was under the remote Bouvetøya Island in the Antarctic ocean - a wild place away from civilization.

caats said:
i'm not sure Alien 5 is that story. Where'd you read that? I can't see how people wouldn't be a bit interested in alien 5. ridley scott returning to direct!!?? heck yeah.

The Alien 5 thing was here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-prequel/

It's still meant to be a prequel, but now there's not supposed to be Space Jockeys.

Ridley Scott Talks Alien Prequel
Alien 5 News | Posted by Darkness on 29 Oct 2009 00:22 GMT

Ridley Scott has finally spoken about the upcoming Alien prequel for the first time in an interview with Empire. The article implies that they won’t revisit LV-426 or the space jockeys in the prequel. The story will take place about 30 years before Alien, however.

Since the prequel was announced, it’s been assumed that it would tell the story of how those nasty, slavering xenomorphs came to land on LV-426 in the first place. But after listening to Sir Ridley, suddenly we’re not so sure…

“It’s a brand new box of tricks,” said Sir Ridley. “We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It’s very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior.”

Interesting. And damned intriguing, to boot. Presumably, rather than make a film about how those massive elephantine aliens (remember the giant pilot with his chest blown outwards in Sir Ridley’s original?) were decimated by the acid-blooded bastards, Sir Ridley and his writer, Jon Spaihts, have decided to reboot the story in an attempt to give it a human focus.

“I never thought I’d look forward to a sequel,” said Sir Ridley. “But a prequel is kind of interesting. I’m looking forward to doing that.”

Last edited:

AndyLGR

I'm quite looking forward to this movie. Granted thats probably based on my love of the first movie, which is an 80's classic and despite the last 2 movies featuring Aliens being pretty terrible.

I guess Im just looking for something that returns to the spirit of the original.

Dr Bones said:
Larry Fishburn looks a bit of a chubster!
I thought that when I saw him in CSI, hes certainly added a few pounds.

vf wing

I have mixed feelings. It comes off a little too much like the first one and I feel there were opportunities from the last AvP that bear further exploration, ie the Predator homeworld. Still looking forward to this tho!

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
The Alien 5 thing was here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/alien-prequel/

?I never thought I?d look forward to a sequel,? said Sir Ridley. ?But a prequel is kind of interesting. I?m looking forward to doing that.?

To my knowledge Scott has never done a sequel or a prequel... I kinda thought he was above that. It'll be interesting to see what Ridley does with a prequel to an almost flawless "Alien" that he himself directed.