Indy 5 Villain?

Indy's brother

Who do you think should play Indy's next nemesis? My thinking is a virtual unknown, like the guys who played Belloq and Toht. Easier to suspend your disbelief without celebrity baggage, ya know? I was also thinking a slightly flamboyant male villian would be kind of neat--a sort of "Anti-Indy", if you will.

Dr.Sartorius

If we do get an Indy 5 (and I mean with Ford as Indy not Mutt with Indy the sidekick) instead of having Soviets or Nazis, Indy should be up against a group of deadly artifact hunting mercenaries or pirates.

|ZiR|

I honestly have no idea but I'd like someone over the top and theatrical, like Mola Ram. Spalko was almost there. Almost. I like my pulp villians with a heapin' side order of CRAZY.

EDIT: There's probably been a thread about this already (come on-- what haven't we discussed?), so it might be worth search doing search.

Indy's brother

it might be worth search doing search.

I did search before posting this thread, and found nothing specific... Just a short-lived thread on what's next after nazis and russians. Also one or two discussing favorite villains we've seen, and comments about their effectiveness. If I missed something, I apologize.

weaponx24

i definitely think they need to go "darker" with the next villan...Spalko just didnt cut it for me...she didnt seem evil enough. I would like to see a male villan like toht, belloq, or mola ram. Donavan was pretty much useless until the end when he shot Henry Sr. You need to have someone that is just evil, that will stop at NOTHING to get whatever they are after. I agree that it should be an unknown, someone who you have no preconcieved notions of...someone who will take us all by surprise.

kongisking

Dr.Sartorius said:
If we do get an Indy 5 (and I mean with Ford as Indy not Mutt with Indy the sidekick) instead of having Soviets or Nazis, Indy should be up against a group of deadly artifact hunting mercenaries or pirates.

I'd **** myself if we had pirates as the Indy villains. Head-over-heels in love with the idea, especially since it worked so damn great in the Sargasso Pirates comic. BRING ON CURSED PIRATE WARRIORS! Maybe 'vampirates', perhaps...:cool: :cool: :cool:

However, I would be most happy with a villain that represented another facet of the 1950's. We've had Russians; what else represented the 50's? I can only think of the paranoia surrounding atomic radiation, but I'm not sure how a villain could come from that...maybe a survivor of Hiroshima who had a strange reaction to the radiation, and was mutated into a monstrous disfigured creature with superpowers? Of course, the fans who are still biting their toes in fury over 'Aliens' and 'nuked fridges' will hate my every atom for suggesting such an idea...*SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...*

Last edited:

Mickiana

It's a good question who will be the bad guys in Indy 5, or who we would like them to be, but I think first we have to decide on that central plot device, the macguffin. Sort of like When What Who and How. Maybe Why... In Raiders plausibility was possible as, apparently, Hitler was interested in the Occult, but was Stalin interested in the powers of alien intelligence, especially for world domination? What I'm getting at is that there has to be a link between the macguffin and the bad guys. In LC and KotCS, the link was tenuous. I'd like it if it was more obvious. The Ark and its powers wanted by Hitler is obvious. Someone suggested the Tower of Babel in another thread, which isn't a bad idea, although it's not something you can put in a museum if you do find it. And what are the powers? I'm drifting here with no solid suggestions. I gotta have a think...

Benraianajones

Indy's brother said:
Who do you think should play Indy's next nemesis? My thinking is a virtual unknown, like the guys who played Belloq and Toht. Easier to suspend your disbelief without celebrity baggage, ya know? I was also thinking a slightly flamboyant male villian would be kind of neat--a sort of "Anti-Indy", if you will.

They weren't that unknown in the UK though, but still, not Hollywood status or anything! I agree, I think Cate was fine with Spalko because she seemed so passionate about it and the role meant something to her. I'd like another unknown as an Indy 5 baddy too.

I must admit when I see Belloq I always imagine him in Cagney and Lacey when he played a French man that offered Mary Beth Lacey some extra-marriage activity. Ha!

As for Stalin, he may not have been interested in aliens as such, but psychic/mind powers were something desired and wondered about by Soviets at some stage. So yea, thou interested in the idea, it wasn't actually involved with aliens was it, the crystal skull idea was kind of pinned on to it.

I said in antother thread, I think the search of Atlantis in a Nazi time period would have been so good, especially as Nazi's were interested in finding it at some stage for real, as they were sure they were related to Atantis because it sounded so superior.

There was a Donovan mention earlier too, I actually liked him. He was such a "nobody" it could have been anyone really, and then at the end when he shoots Henry you see the true greed and nasty personality he has hidden away, it becomes quite a shock.

Last edited:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Mickiana said:
It's a good question who will be the bad guys in Indy 5, or who we would like them to be, but I think first we have to decide on that central plot device, the macguffin. Sort of like When What Who and How. Maybe Why... In Raiders plausibility was possible as, apparently, Hitler was interested in the Occult, but was Stalin interested in the powers of alien intelligence, especially for world domination? What I'm getting at is that there has to be a link between the macguffin and the bad guys. In LC and KotCS, the link was tenuous. I'd like it if it was more obvious. The Ark and its powers wanted by Hitler is obvious. Someone suggested the Tower of Babel in another thread, which isn't a bad idea, although it's not something you can put in a museum if you do find it. And what are the powers? I'm drifting here with no solid suggestions. I gotta have a think...

If Indy 5 ever gets made one thing is for sure: it should be made as a prequel to Kingdom so we can see Indy without any family ties. I'd hate to see a lame excuse to dispose Marion or Mutt out of the story like most movie sequels do. Or ever worst, to clone that family theme again. What I really want to see is Indy again as a dark, loner figure, raiding treasures in every terrain possible, from snowy mountains to deserts and tropical forests and giving a descent bullwhip fight!!!

EddyW

Yes, I agree. Indy's marriage has taken away the believability af any future adventures. No man, with the responsability of a wife and son at home, will go out all by himself to risk his life for some stupid artifact. Prequel! Dark!

The Man

EddyW said:
Yes, I agree. Indy's marriage has taken away the believability af any future adventures. No man, with the responsability of a wife and son at home, will go out all by himself to risk his life for some stupid artifact. Prequel! Dark!

Kill Marion and Mutt. Sequel! Darker!

clorrificus

i would go for a prequel. a very very very dark one. only maybe one sidekick and make the story more about (just) indy going up against someone seriously evil. like more evil than enslaving children evil. have something happen in that story that gets brought up again in the 6th movie...

some serious wishful thinking there...but if they aren't going to make a 6th then i dont want the 5th to be a prequel. i would need closure from the last indy chapter that kotcs didnt really give. ok he's married, but now what?

Dewy9

I'd want one over the top, like Spalko. She was like something right out of an old comic book. Easily my favorite villian from the four films. I was fine with a famous actress playing the part because I couldn't recognize her at all due to the wig and accent.

Indy's brother

I was fine with a famous actress playing the part because I couldn't recognize her at all due to the wig and accent.

Well, you're right. Blanchett was a great casting choice, not only was the material easily within her ability, (or because of her ability, she makes it look easy) but she is not an overly exposed actress. By this I mean that despite her obvious talent and numerous roles, much of the KOTCS audience would not immediately say, "Hey! That's the gal from 'The Good German'!" Such is not the case with the easily recognizable janitor from "Scrubs" (Neil Flynn) interrogating Indy. Before anyone decides to argue this, Mr. Flynn can be seen at almost any time of day on tv, depending on how many channels you get. Cate...not so much.

Wugmanmax

I'd like to see over the top evil as well. My favorite Indy villain is Mola Ram.
I think they have to make a sequel. A prequel would confuse too many people and it wouldn't jive with the plot of Indy 4. It was his first real adventure since the war, he thought he was on the decline after the loss of those close to him and had resigned himself to pretty much just being "Professor Jones". Meeting Mutt and Re-uniting with Marion gave him back his old spark of life again, as evidenced by the end "gag" of him grabbing the hat. Indy isn't dead yet.

Darth Vile

It would be easy to do an Indy 5 that didn't involve Marion or Mutt. All they need to do is basically throw Indy in the deep end from scene 1, similar to TOD e.g. he doesn't get chance to return home until the end of the movie.

As far as villains go, I think it's largely irrelevant as long as they are good. Think we'd all agree with that one. ;) I must confess though that I prefer a Belloq or Spalko type character who are not so black and white with their evilness... Also - We've had British actors play French and American villains, but we've not yet had a good ole' Brit playing a British villian a la Governor Tarkin (ANH).

Benraianajones

We've had lots of Brits playing Americans,French and German baddies. Let's have an insane British enemy in Indy 5, at least as a side-kick villan.