Indy 5 Villain?

Darth Vile

Benraianajones said:
We've had lots of Brits playing Americans,French and German baddies. Let's have an insane British enemy in Indy 5, at least as a side-kick villan.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

Wugmanmax

Darth Vile said:
It would be easy to do an Indy 5 that didn't involve Marion or Mutt. All they need to do is basically throw Indy in the deep end from scene 1, similar to TOD e.g. he doesn't get chance to return home until the end of the movie.

Completely agreed. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it has to have those two in any sort of prominent role. They could just be mentioned.

blur

rowerguy7 said:
like heath ledger as the joker.... no one saw that coming

Eh? You're kidding, surely? The second I heard he was playing the Joker, I had a very good idea what he'd do with it. Maybe it's because I was more in tune with the actor, having watched him develop over many years here in Australia. But I totally expected that performance from him.

Darth Vile

blur said:
Eh? You're kidding, surely? The second I heard he was playing the Joker, I had a very good idea what he'd do with it. Maybe it's because I was more in tune with the actor, having watched him develop over many years here in Australia. But I totally expected that performance from him.

Agreed... It's not like the character was Michael Corleone or Tommy DeVitto. It was the bloody Joker i.e. play it manic, play it strange, play it funny and there you go... And although I liked HL in the role, it was hardly an acting masterclass and a performance from left field.

Crusade>Raiders

Which is why I think its silly how people think they can't have th Joker in the Batman 3 cuz Ledger died. Most of the greatness of TDK's Joker was the brillaint screenplay.

Muttette

They definitely should have an unknown play the next bad guy...

kongisking said:
I'd **** myself if we had pirates as the Indy villains. Head-over-heels in love with the idea, especially since it worked so damn great in the Sargasso Pirates comic. BRING ON CURSED PIRATE WARRIORS! Maybe 'vampirates', perhaps...:cool: :cool: :cool:

However, I would be most happy with a villain that represented another facet of the 1950's. We've had Russians; what else represented the 50's? I can only think of the paranoia surrounding atomic radiation, but I'm not sure how a villain could come from that...maybe a survivor of Hiroshima who had a strange reaction to the radiation, and was mutated into a monstrous disfigured creature with superpowers? Of course, the fans who are still biting their toes in fury over 'Aliens' and 'nuked fridges' will hate my every atom for suggesting such an idea...*SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH...*

Hahaha! Vampirates would be fantastic! And mutants would be pretty good too... but now that Indy's got himself a kid I'd really like it if one of the old, cool bad guys had a kid who could come back to fight on their behalf! :D Just imagine... Belloq junior or Mola Rette! It could work! :D

Nurhachi1991

This guy would make a great Indy bad guy........... Call it

noCountryForOldMen-1024.jpg

Arizona Smith

Antagonists for Indy V

I think an Italian mafia crime family could make for some good antagonists, not sure if they should use a fictional family or base them off of a real family like the Gambino family.

sandiegojones

Nazi's hiding in South America. Chinese/Vietnamese communists.

Would have been cool if they could have used the Japanese as a villain in a WW2 era Indy film.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Arizona Smith said:
I think an Italian mafia crime family could make for some good antagonists, not sure if they should use a fictional family or base them off of a real family like the Gambino family.

I don't know, Italians might be too crazy.

Hehe, but no, I think that's an idea with some potential. Possibly just for the opening sequence.

Another idea with some real potential: a rogue American colonel or general of some sort. It's the Cold War, so it's an easy story to tell, and one they've already opened the world of Indy to with the untrustworthy army intelligence types in Raiders and the ones who suspect Indy in KotCS. (To say nothing of a general set of unsavory authority figures throughout the films, namely Chatter Lal and the Sheriff in Last Crusade. And Simon Turner in Infernal Machine.)

And Stephen Lang would be the man to play him:

GLORY_-_Stephen_Lang_344.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
My vote is for the Mau Mau...Congo, late '50s.

I think the Mau Mau would get upset at being relocated to the Congo from Kenya. ;) There's an idea there however, but I think it's a little far out of Indy's purview. I'm actually going a little earlier --towards the time era of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The idea is to capture something akin to Temple.

If you want a political crisis in the the Congo, check this out. Patrica Lumumba is considered to be the first CIA-sanctioned assassination. Putting Indy into that backdrop might be interesting.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
Italians might be too crazy.
Lucas agrees, "Italians are too crazy. He could be an Arab. One of those weasel-faced, thin-moustached Arab professors."

If Kao Kan from Temple of Doom returned with a Chinese platoon in tow, national interests could take a back seat to revenge.

Or, some sort of "you wanna talk to God?" anarchist in the nuclear age would really turn the tables on family man Indy.

emtiem

Arizona Smith said:

I've been liking the idea of a mafia gangster set of villains! Might work best for a 30-set Indy, though, but could be good.
Some form of spies might work too- Indy is about to enter the time of the spy craze, after all!

Also, how about a Da Vinci Code-style set of cultists? A secret cult in high places in society? Or perhaps a crazed millionaire building his own private army to wage war against God, or maybe the Devil?

Anything but another straight army regiment- that's been done.