Indy 5 Villain?

Lance Quazar said:
That's the only way I could see it working, if it was just in the prologue scene, but not the body of the movie.

Frankly, Nazis are boring at this point and have been done to death in the Indy verse, not just the films, but countless ancillary products, as well.

And the only thing more boring than Nazis would be Nazis in hiding. Without Hitler and without an actual, you know, ARMY to back them up, what's so scary about a bunch of middle-aged loonies hiding in the jungle?

well, if that's the limit to your imaination...yeah sure.

But in the hands of an intellegent, insightfull writer the Nazi idea still has promise.

Like I said, Marathon man was well done, and Jorbex mentions Boys From Brazil...

Clive Cussler's Novel "Atlantis Found" features a storyline about escaped Nazi war criminals who plan to clone Hitler.

Allan Folsom's novel "The Day After Tomorrow" also dealt with a similar theme of resurrecting Hitler.

Irving Wallace's The Seventh Secret features a storyline that Hitler may have survived World War II and arranged for a doppelgänger to be killed to mimic his suicide.

But Spielberg has already killed more Nazis on celluloid then there ever were...

...he's done.

Lance Quazar

Rocket Surgeon said:
well, if that's the limit to your imaination...yeah sure.

But in the hands of an intellegent, insightfull writer the Nazi idea still has promise.

Well, in the hands of a good writer, nearly any idea has promise. But even still, it'd be far better to come up with something NEW rather than a third re-hash of the Nazis.

Clive Cussler's Novel "Atlantis Found" features a storyline about escaped Nazi war criminals who plan to clone Hitler.

Allan Folsom's novel "The Day After Tomorrow" also dealt with a similar theme of resurrecting Hitler.

Those authors should be embarrassed for writing such hackneyed, uninspired plots.

When you mentioned Cussler, my first thought was, "Okay, maybe he was doing Hitler cloning back in the 70's, when it might have been fresh."

But the book you reference was from 1999! How desperate, how utterly UNimaginative.

Irving Wallace's The Seventh Secret features a storyline that Hitler may have survived World War II and arranged for a doppelgänger to be killed to mimic his suicide.

Also hacky and lame. These kinds of feeble ideas are BENEATH the Indiana Jones franchise.

But Spielberg has already killed more Nazis on celluloid then there ever were...

...he's done.

Thank god.

Lance Quazar said:
Well, in the hands of a good writer, nearly any idea has promise. But even still, it'd be far better to come up with something NEW rather than a third re-hash of the Nazis.

As I mentioned, the prologue...and the only theme that should cary through as of now, the "it never ends" or " here we go again"...

Lance Quazar said:
Those authors should be embarrassed for writing such hackneyed, uninspired plots.

Agreed, as I mentioned Marathon Man was good.

I offered no opinion, just the assorted rip off plots from the Wiki of Boys from Brazil, (haven't watched that one).

You left Marathon Man out...no dirision for that one?

kongisking

Dinosaurs would be ****ing amazing, and you know it's true! Tell me you don't drool at the thought of Indy taking on a pack of raptors with his whip and fists! :cool:

time travel is a very intriguing idea, and judging from Ford's comment "it's crazy, but great", this could possibly be what Lucas is thinking of. He DID say that he wanted to go somewhere completely different; that is his one condition on making a fifth film. I say, go for it George! That way we can have Harrison fight Nazis again without the hassle of de-aging makeup and whatnot. See! Sci-Fi in Indiana Jones isn't ALL bad? Right?

Last edited:

Darth Vile

I see no reason why Indy can't face up against his fellow kinsman e.g. corrupt US intelligence/military or deadly bounty hunters. To have an Indy flick set in the 50's, and have the antagonists as Nazi's seems a step backwards (even if written well).

Lance Quazar

Rocket Surgeon said:
You left Marathon Man out...no dirision for that one?

It's moot since we acknowledge Spielberg won't do it.

But I did agree with you that a prologue sequence wouldn't be a bad way to go.

As for "Marathon Man" - yes, that was a good film. But an elderly dentist is hardly a sufficient foil for an Indy film.

I'm not saying that the idea of Nazi survivors NEVER has merit in fiction or drama. Just that I don't want to see it in Indiana Jones.

Dr.Jonesy

Darth Vile said:
I see no reason why Indy can't face up against his fellow kinsman e.g. corrupt US intelligence/military or deadly bounty hunters. To have an Indy flick set in the 50's, and have the antagonists as Nazi's seems a step backwards (even if written well).

I would agree with that.

Re-tread the Raiders style and tone, not the villains.

Darth Vile said:

Thats a great idea...after all, J Edgar Hoover's ascent, (and The FBI's) was on the broken bodies of the falsly accused.

Ties into the whole Red Menace thing....

Lance Quazar

Darth Vile said:

I think Indy dealing with corrupt G-Men is a cool and fresh idea. I'm not sure if TPTB would want a more "black and white" Indy film, but I think such an idea would add a lot of complexity and sophistication to the story.

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
I think Indy dealing with corrupt G-Men is a cool and fresh idea. I'm not sure if TPTB would want a more "black and white" Indy film, but I think such an idea would add a lot of complexity and sophistication to the story.

Corrupt G-Men could be interesting. They don't even have to be corrupt, just 'serving' US-interests. The United States has a well published history of meddling in the affairs of the sovereign nations of the Lower Americas.

The next film could be set in around El Salvador & the Honduras. Chatter Lal's comment about Indy being persecuted for grave robbing could be explored...

Col. Detritch

Indy 5 Villain! Who?

What has always made these movies for me is the villains. They are just awsome! But what sort of villain should Indy face off against in V?
First of all Indy always faces off against a regime of sorts (The Fascist, The Communists, Cultist).
In the time period set previously in CS there is a variety of regimes the US were aposing: Communist China, North Korea, The Soviet Union, even surviving Nazi's- if you will.

Then there has to be the main foe- There could be a 'nemisis' type foe like Belloq or Magnus (with a history), a swarve villain like Donovan or Belloq, the devoted military type- Irina,Toht ect. The trator Donovan, Mac, Elsa or a new variety of villain that hasn't been really covered yet!:cool:

I would love to konw what everyone has to say about their choice of villain for Indy V; 'cause every good hero needs a great foe!:hat:

Darth Vile

I?ve always thought the suave cad type to be more successful i.e. Belloq and Donovan. However, there is something to be said for going in another direction. Mola Ram was the brutish pantomime type villain (that?s not a criticism by the way), whilst Spalko tried to bridge the gap between the brawn and the brain.

Personally, I?d like Indy V to have some corrupt government type official as the main bad guy. Mainly because it would be a slight twist to what we?ve had thus far, and it would also lend itself to a Hitchcock?esque ?Indy on the run? type story... which some of us would like to see. :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Merged them all under a new-ish title.
Still hope they bring back Ric Young!
MV5BMzMwOTk5NzM4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgxNDc5MQ%40%40._V1._SX450_SY300_.jpg

That's 2007... here he is in uniform in 1997.

Last edited:

Jack Nelligan

How about a rouge revolutionary in the early 60?s from a small island just off the coast of Florida. He could wear army fatigues, a little flat topped army hat and have a beard. Indy could be saving treasures from a museum that he didn?t want to be lost to a new communist Dictator?????

It works with the time line if we keep moving forward. ;)

Insomniac

Mark Hammil!

Villain Experience (y) Check
Scar (y) Check
Old (y) Check
Otherstuff (y) Check

Hell he would make a great washed up desperate Russian that would do anything to win back the respect of his comrades!
Basically a more sane Bond villian!

E9C15BCBE7CCD9738A90D49030B0D7.jpg

Last edited:

Ironclaw

They did something with a Reich-in-hiding in the Danger Girl comics.

Basically you need an enemy you can beat the crap out of and not feel bad about it. It's impossible to make them sympathetic.

Insomniac

Ironclaw said:
They did something with a Reich-in-hiding in the Danger Girl comics.

Basically you need an enemy you can beat the crap out of and not feel bad about it. It's impossible to make them sympathetic.
May I ask why you should not a have a villain you can feel sympathy for?