Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

Forbidden Eye said:
I really love "Mystery of the Blues". To be honest, I wish they did make a snow-themed Indy movie as Indy 4 instead and had made KOTCS Indy 5.

Looking back, the biggest flaw of KOTCS wasn't anything about the movie itself, but rather the fact they waited too long. A lot of missed opportunities through the 90's-early 00's. They can obviously still do Indy 5, but you can't deny Ford is getting up there in age.

I think a prequel could still be considered as a possibility. If the fifth film was set in 1954, for example, Indy wouldn't need to look any younger than what he actually looked in "Kingdom".

But if that was the case, Lucas would better hurry up the things 'cause Harrison is now nearing his 70s!! And the more time will pass, the more difficult will be for him to be convincing in the role of a fifty-something year old adventure hero...

Anyway, I would really love to see a snowy location, as long as it is impervious and spectacular!! But I also agree with Darth Vile, the film shouldn't be too centered on it. Just 20/30 minutes, at the beginning or climax of the movie.

On a side note, those snow-mobiles look REALLY intriguing... ;)

James

The Stranger said:
I think a prequel could still be considered as a possibility. If the fifth film was set in 1954, for example, Indy wouldn't need to look any younger than what he actually looked in "Kingdom".

It would be cool to see a repeat of the original trilogy's pattern: A darker sequel set in 1956, followed by a swansong set in 1959.

James said:
It would be cool to see a repeat of the original trilogy's pattern: A darker sequel set in 1956, followed by a swansong set in 1959.

I hear you!! It would be great!!!
And it would also turn up being a sort of tribute to the original saga!! :gun:

Shame is, possibilities of other TWO films being developed are sadly close to zero. :(

Darth Vile

The Stranger said:
I hear you!! It would be great!!!
And it would also turn up being a sort of tribute to the original saga!! :gun:

Shame is, possibilities of other TWO films being developed are sadly close to zero. :(

Although it breaks with tradition... What about 2 movies shot back to back i.e. 2 movies, 1 story (with a cliffhanger after the first part)?

Indy's brother

James said:

+1!!!!

Darth Vile said:
it breaks with tradition... What about 2 movies shot back to back i.e. 2 movies, 1 story (with a cliffhanger after the first part)?

Back the Future 2+3, Kill Bill 1+2? No thanks. If there is an example you can think of that didn't fall flat on it's face somewhere in the second flick, I could be persuaded, though.

GL and SP are such creatures of habit with the IJ franchise that I doubt they would shake up the format of one of these movies that much anyway. These movies are made in such a certain way, and each one is so obviously self-contained, that I don't think they'd stray from their formula this far into the series.

James

Darth Vile said:
Although it breaks with tradition... What about 2 movies shot back to back i.e. 2 movies, 1 story (with a cliffhanger after the first part)?

I once thought this might be an interesting option for Indy 4, since I didn't expect them to still be considering a sequel afterwards. But even though Indy is famous for cliffhangers, I just don't think audiences enjoy them as an ending. When I saw The Matrix Reloaded, the audience actually cursed the screen as the "to be continued" appeared. :D

Indy's brother said:
These movies are made in such a certain way, and each one is so obviously self-contained, that I don't think they'd stray from their formula this far into the series.

The other aspect is that each film essentially has its own unique flavor and style. I think you would lose that by trying to film two at once.

Darth Vile

Indy's brother said:
+1!!!!

Back the Future 2+3, Kill Bill 1+2? No thanks. If there is an example you can think of that didn't fall flat on it's face somewhere in the second flick, I could be persuaded, though.

GL and SP are such creatures of habit with the IJ franchise that I doubt they would shake up the format of one of these movies that much anyway. These movies are made in such a certain way, and each one is so obviously self-contained, that I don't think they'd stray from their formula this far into the series.

Off the top of my head... 'The Lord of The Rings'. I actually like both the 'Back to the Future' movies and 'Kill Bill'... but that's just me. ;)

Anyways, not saying it would work or that they'd even do it... but it is a solution to get two other movies out in fairly quick succession.

James said:
I once thought this might be an interesting option for Indy 4, since I didn't expect them to still be considering a sequel afterwards. But even though Indy is famous for cliffhangers, I just don't think audiences enjoy them as an ending. When I saw The Matrix Reloaded, the audience actually cursed the screen as the "to be continued" appeared.

I know what you mean with the 'Matrix Reloaded'. That was annoying...

As far as back to back Indy's are concerned (I should have been more clear)... I wasn't necessarily thinking of a story split over 2 movies (without a conclusion in part 1) a la 'Matrix Reloaded', but rather each movie self contained with an underlying theme, with one adventure leading directly into the next (more akin to Star Wars).

James

Weren't the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels also shot simultaneously? This one reason why I initially thought it might be an option for Indy, since the practice has become more commonplace in recent years.

Darth Vile said:
Anyways, not saying it would work or that they'd even do it... but it is a solution to get two other movies out in fairly quick succession.

I thought it would be a smart move on Ford's part, since they could film two, then release them over a period of 3-5 years. Or simply film a portion of one, much like Lucas did with the prequels. (Even though the latter was, I believe, just a few short scenes on Tatooine.)

But even though there's precedent for it, I don't really think it would ever happen. Still, if it were the only way for us to get two more Indiana Jones films starring Harrison Ford, I would absolutely be in favor of it. :whip:

Darth Vile said:

Uhm... nah, I would sincerely prefer two different stories, completely not linked from one another.

I'm still secretly hoping for a prequel to "Kingdom"!! And I would be ok with that. ;)

Indy's brother

I just read through this thread again, and Stoo, you are the man. I heavily agree with you on:

Stoo said:
Obviously, it?s a matter of preference but I think a snow environment holds enough potential to sustain the majority of the film (equal to the Egyptian and island portion of ?Raiders?). Whether it ?gets quite bland? or not all depends on how it?s handled. Apart from colour, or lack thereof, it isn?t that much different from a desert. Both are bleak but photographing either of them well can yield some stunning visuals.

As for perilous situations to be found with ice'n'snow, there are plenty of those so a cold locale could work well for a large chunk of a story. Of course, jungles & deserts are the mainstays of Indyland but a wintery climate would make a welcome, refreshing twist and is perhaps the most logical direction for the series should take to avoid retreading old ground.

and

Stoo said:
I'm seeing red on white.

I'm by and large very pleased with the direction this thread is going. Any and all input/ideas for snowy Indy are welcome here!

James

The Stranger said:
I'm still secretly hoping for a prequel to "Kingdom"!! And I would be ok with that. ;)

The great thing about the Indy series is that it really doesn't matter.

It could be a prequel- even as the 'final' entry in the franchise. Or it could be a sequel that finds Mutt and Marion featured as cameos- if at all. Or it could be a sequel has all three factoring in somehow.

The only cardinal rule- for me at least- is that Harrison Ford has to be wearing the fedora.

Darth Vile

James said:
The great thing about the Indy series is that it really doesn't matter.

It could be a prequel- even as the 'final' entry in the franchise. Or it could be a sequel that finds Mutt and Marion featured as cameos- if at all. Or it could be a sequel has all three factoring in somehow.

The only cardinal rule- for me at least- is that Harrison Ford has to be wearing the fedora.

I think you are right in that it doesn't really matter with Indy, as his adventures are not that linear.

However, like KOTCS, one thing they can't do is avoid Ford's age. And for that reason, I believe that they will always need a younger second lead as a foil (a la Mutt), to ensure the movie can appeal to a wider audience. So it makes sense to me that, unless they want to bring in as yet unseen daughter/niece of Indy, Mutt is probably the best option... and therefore Indy V would probably be a straight follow on from KOTCS (for better of worse).

James

Darth Vile said:
And for that reason, I believe that they will always need a younger second lead as a foil (a la Mutt), to ensure the movie can appeal to a wider audience.

It's an issue, but one that was probably more critical prior to KOTCS. Paramount began to cool on the idea of Indy 4 several years ago, especially as the old age jokes began to increase. However, they were reportedly very impressed with Ford's ability to carry the film at the box office, and the fears over Shia replacing him did not escape their attention. It's also becoming more common to see an aging actor headline a hit film (ie. Rocky Balboa; Die Hard 4; Gran Torino; Taken).

I suspect that Ford may have bought himself a few more years with KOTCS. Paramount is open to another Indy film, and I doubt they would balk if the cast ended up being comprised of actors over 30 or 40.

But even assuming they did want a younger face, it could always be a sidekick other than Mutt. I just don't believe any Indy film could ever be limited to the events of its predecessor. There's always a way to get Indy out of a bind. :D

Darth Vile

James said:
It's an issue, but one that was probably more critical prior to KOTCS. Paramount began to cool on the idea of Indy 4 several years ago, especially as the old age jokes began to increase. However, they were reportedly very impressed with Ford's ability to carry the film at the box office, and the fears over Shia replacing him did not escape their attention. It's also becoming more common to see an aging actor headline a hit film (ie. Rocky Balboa; Die Hard 4; Gran Torino; Taken).

I suspect that Ford may have bought himself a few more years with KOTCS. Paramount is open to another Indy film, and I doubt they would balk if the cast ended up being comprised of actors over 30 or 40.

But even assuming they did want a younger face, it could always be a sidekick other than Mutt. I just don't believe any Indy film could ever be limited to the events of its predecessor. There's always a way to get Indy out of a bind. :D

I agree that Ford will always be the main attraction of an Indy movie (assuming it’s not a re-boot). But I’m pretty sure some of the box office success of KOTCS was a direct result of pairing Ford with the "bright young thing", Shia. At this moment, I’d be willing to bet my home that Shia’s contribution to KOTCS, almost guarantees the inclusion of an under 25 year old leading character in an Indy V movie. Whether that’s Mutt or not, I’m not that fussed... It’s just that he was quite a good sidekick, and there is still plenty of untapped father & son banter/emotion left to be had. So why invent that particular wheel with someone else? :)

Indy's brother

Here's an absolutely insane idea for 5 & 6 that I cooked up today. Nazis have been done, and Russian Communists have been done. Problem, they're both great. Who else is there without the idea getting stale? Hmmm. Why not ramp it up a notch? Commies vs. post-war Nazis in Antarctica, with Indy caught between them both!! A small outpost that never needed to disband or surrender because their location was so well hidden. The commies find out about their presence while searching for one of the lost "Hall of Records". Some brutal hatred between these two countries during the war, you know. Anyway, we can let the nazis lose for good down by the south pole. The "Hall of Records" then yields the information on how to access "Even ha-Shetiyah.", located a mile or two under the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.

For Indy 6? Who would Indy fight after Nazis and Communists? His own government. That's right, you heard me. For his swan song, Indy has to battle a rogue faction of U.S. soldiers bent on harnessing the power of The Ark of The Covenant for their own evil purposes. Indy, rather than running, hiding and being chased himself, becomes the active pursuer! The rest of the movie viewing world would probably appreciate the Indyverse finding some bad guys within our own country. In the end, (and I know I've said this elsewhere), the ark destroys the bad guys, and Indy hides it himself to assure its' safety until God is ready for it to be found again and placed in the "Tribulation Temple". In doing so, our hero's true mission on earth as the ark's protector is revealed. The world weary adventurer is then consumed by the power of the ark and gloriously ascends into the next life.

Last edited:

WilliamBoyd8

Since KOTCS establishes that Indiana Jones can find space aliens,
he can join an arctic expedition which finds a flying saucer buried in the ice.

A saucer passenger is brought back to the settlement frozen in a block of ice.

Someone throws an electric blanket on the ice because he doesn't want to
look at the creature.

The blanket is still warm.

:)

WillKill4Food

Indy's brother said:
For his swan song, Indy has to battle a rogue faction of U.S. soldiers bent on harnessing the power of The Ark of The Covenant for their own evil purposes.
Who says they have to be rogue?
Why couldn't Indy (in the 1960's) face off against the US Government, which wants to use the Ark to bring the war in Vietnam and Communism to a quick end (somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Manhatten in Watchmen)?

Indy's brother

WillKill4Food said:
Who says they have to be rogue?
Why couldn't Indy (in the 1960's) face off against the US Government, which wants to use the Ark to bring the war in Vietnam and Communism to a quick end (somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Manhatten in Watchmen)?

I say "rogue" just to give Indy the opportunity to maim and kill without appearing unpatriotic. There are plenty of american fans that wouldn't be able to reconcile their own feelings about this country and the sight of Indy harming U.S. soldiers. I just think it would be a way to side-step this obvious writing pitfall.

Besides, Watchmen is set in an alternative 1985, this gives the Watchmen story a little more leeway for creative license. Indy, however, is set in the real world, and in our past. Therefore Indy's actions towards his government have to be held to a somewhat higher standard--and not contradict our own history at the same time.

Moving on, how would you like to see Indy face off with one of these!!! After all, natural disaster* type stuff has been a part of the Indy tradition: Whitewater rapids, flood (TOD), earthquakes (LC), Waterfalls, quicksand, *nuke* (KOTCS).

*[EDIT] which is to say "disaster", period.

Last edited:
Indy's brother said:
I say "rogue" just to give Indy the opportunity to maim and kill without appearing unpatriotic. There are plenty of american fans that wouldn't be able to reconcile their own feelings about this country and the sight of Indy harming U.S. soldiers.

Well it worked for Rambo in 'First Blood'. If we can just est. that these guys are EVIL, I don't think the audience would have a problem.