Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Indy's brother inspired me in another thread so here are some more snowy ideas (which may or may not have been mentioned before):

1) AVALANCHE! An avalanche is a standard of the old serials and we haven't seen one in an Indy film yet. I would love to see Indy try to outrun a cascading torrent of snow! (The 1935 version of H. Rider Haggard's "She" has a cliff-side, snow avalanche which ends up revealing the entrance to a tunnel.)

An act of nature revealing something lost is one can be one those lucky accidents, an open clue that does without a lengthy pre-amble. A sudden tempting invitation to the inner world, into which the character ventures without any prior knowledge or insight. The finer details of what lays inside remain just as much a mystery for the audience, as it does for the adventurer.

Stoo said:
2) CRACKING ICE! Remember the part in "The Lost World" (Jurassic Park II) where Julianne Moore is in a deathly situation on the slowly, cracking glass? For me, that tension-filled scene was the best part of the movie. Imagine a similar situation with Indy on a thin sheet of cracking ice, ready to break at any moment!

This turning into this:

Moedred said:
How about a frozen lake which is revealed to have no water beneath, just a long drop to the rocky ground? I've actually heard of this phenomenon: a reservoir is built and filled with water, trees in the former valley are topped at water level, the surface freezes, and rests on the many treetops when the reservoir is drained. Sequoias would be too far apart, but 100 foot lodgepole pines are plausible. When it starts to collapse and tilt at odd angles, the chase and escape (on aerosani and snowmobile) up the long valley begins.

A waterless carvern beneath the ice is a fantastic idea. Half falling, half grabbing/climbing down into a once pitch black strange subterranean world - now with shafts of dim eerie light penetrating to it's floor through the cracked ice ceiling. From there an entrance could descend even further downward into a lost underground world, doubly isolated from the outside.

Stoo said:
3) SWEPT UNDER ICE! Just like in "Damien: Omen II", where a guy falls through a weak spot of a frozen river and gets swept away by the current. His friends can see him under the ice being carried away and follow his path trying to break it with their hockey sticks! Scary stuff.:eek: How could Indy escape from something like this? I don't know but it's one hell of an idea!:whip:

This is a tricky one to portray. Leave the character too long in the frozen water and it becomes like nuking the fridge, as they'd soon go into a coma from the cold. Once out they'd need to be warmed up quickly to prevent hypothermia. The time under water is therefore tense and horrifying.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
This is a tricky one to portray. Leave the character too long in the frozen water and it becomes like nuking the fridge, as they'd soon go into a coma from the cold. Once out they'd need to be warmed up quickly to prevent hypothermia. The time under water is therefore tense and horrifying.

Well, it doesn't need to be Indy. Could be a companion, could be a bad guy, could be a long-trapped and newly discovered corpse...an underwater Heimdall.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Well, it doesn't need to be Indy. Could be a companion, could be a bad guy, could be a long-trapped and newly discovered corpse...an underwater Heimdall.

Suddenly stepping over a face staring up from the ice! Creepy.

Like the corpses in Tolkien's Dead Marshes.

A twist would be for Indy's companion to be trapped, and Indy actually fail to rescue them. If it was later in the movie, with the character already established, that would have come as a surprise.

Then Indy would be questioning his abilities and the danger he poses to those who follow him on his crazy journeys. A set up for Indy to redeem himself heroically and strike a blow for the older generation.

Moedred said:
How about a frozen lake which is revealed to have no water beneath, just a long drop to the rocky ground?
Great idea! Tension and danger would be greatest if a friend/party member had frozen/drowned a bit earlier at another lake/tributary.

Indy's bro: tried to PM you but 100 fills fast too, eh? Here's a script I did for the Radio Drama about a year ago.

The tree line was finally starting to thin, if not for the coming storm Indy could have seen for a hundred miles. Saplings could find sunlight between the enormous age old trees and that meant deeper snow drifts. The big thaw was coming which also meant flying sheets of ice. From the looks of things it snowed up here ALL the time. ?Not much further? he thought, then looked down the mountain slope and cringed ??as the crow flies.?

?JONES!? echoed in his ears from above, and jolted Indy from his thought. There weren?t many ways this could end well. If he were caught by ?The Agent? or his hired lumbermen it wouldn?t be much better if he were tracked down by The Hidatsa or trapped by the Crow. Unless he could get it back to his guide and old friend it would be war?all that would matter is that HE had it.

The wind set snow and ice to flight and Indy was mercilessly pelted, ?Better watch it, if I don't keep my head, Mother Nature may take it!? With that Indy lost his footing and tumbled down the side of the mountain before his body stopped with a thump by a tree.

This cleared a few branches of their accumulated snow and landing on his head, partly snapped him out of his daze.?Uuuhh, oooohhh?...Indy moaned and suddenly snatched a hold of his wits frantically reaching under his jacket padding himself down. He stopped and sighed,? still in one piece!? He thought of his father, most likely sitting by a fire in his cable knit sipping his tea, well maybe SOME of it was tea, nose in a book. Indy smiled and for a moment wishing he were there too...the wind caught his fedora and lifted it a bit, "nah..." Indy said audibly. Indy pulled himself up and felt something tear along his rib cage, "one piece" he moaned.

The snow was blinding, the wind biting, Indy knew he had to keep moving or it was for nothing. The thought that his pursuers were lost too comforted him until he felt it and then heard the gun shot. "Damn!" Indy's hand shot to his face feeling his "wound". The bullet sent a section of bark which hit his face and startled him. Another rang out and then he felt it: an earth shaking rumble. Thunder was the first flash of thought which was quickly discarded. Two more rounds gave Indy the direction he needed to run from. Earthquake was the next discarded thought as Indy quickly scanned for the biggest tree he could.
Then he heard it slowly overtaking the baying wind, ?AVALANCHE!? Indy scrambled...?Up!? Each time he extended his left arm shot a sobering pain through his body. Indy thought he wouldn't be feeling anything anymore if he didn't: "Move! Go go go go go!" he screamed at himself. Indy's luck held out and he had picked a tree that had been weathering the forces of nature for a hundred years. His pursuers were not quite as lucky. Indy heard the snapping of trees and branches, felt rocks propelled down the mountain crash against his tree and wiping out the existence of others. Among the drowned out screams were the short sharp shocks of gun toting thugs learning firsthand what they should have remembered from 4th grade science class, if they had gotten that far?Indy thought, ?the unstoppable force vs. immovable idiocy?. Indy was still climbing, scrambling just above the snow as it continued to rise. "I guess all that education buys me another minute of air and sun". Then Indy's eyes flashed. He reached to his belt grabbed his whip and scoffed, "one more time?" as he lashed himself to the tree trunk. ?How much longer could this last?? he wondered. Those last few moments Indy lived hours, his adrenaline rush made him acutely aware of so much at once, his mind racing to stem the deadly tide, or at least keep his head above it. This is what Dr Henry Jones Jr was thinking as the frail top section of the ancient tree he clung to snapped off and hurled down the mountain side.

Indy?s head pounded as though it were filling up and about to burst. The tree top had come to rest among quite a bit of rubble, half buried by a mix of snow and earth. As Indy regained his focus he realized why his arms were over his head, and his head thumped. Indy let out a gasp of a chuckle, he was alive, and upside down! ?Luck?? Indy thought... ?I guess it's as good a name as any for being prepared when opportunity, or in this case tragedy struck?. Indy worked for a while trying to free himself, the whip had saved him again but was beginning to feel like a tourniquet. The cold reminding him that he was alive, for now..."Still have miles to go before I sleep" Indy realized grimly. "Oh, no! my hat", Indy moaned, feeling the wind whip through his hair. He couldn't keep the thought from striking; maybe my luck has finally run out. Indy tried to scan the area but soon gave up surprised at his uncharacteristic superstitious moment. "First things first" he said as he became the sensible educator, wrestling with the whip for a moment. With that the whip gave way, and Indy fell about three feet, hitting his head hard. He finally sat up rubbing his beard and looking for blood but he couldn't see a thing. The world had become dark and as the blood drained from his head back to the rest of his body he laughed. The tightness in his head was no longer just gravity vs blood, which made him happy it was still inside him. No, Indiana Jones raised both his hands and pulled his fedora off his head! He had fallen right into it! Indy smiled to himself, quickly brushed the snow off, reshaped it pulling it gently down on his swollen head. He wrapped his scarf around his ears and face, put his collar up and quickly recovered his whip. He made a quick inventory of his gear and its condition. If anyone?s going to hear this tall tale, WE still have to get out of here! He shook his head, smirked and muttered, "Sometimes, sometimes..."

Here's the rest...

Indy strained to see the sun, but though the storm was still over the mountain, it had shifted and the sun was still obscured..."still light out but no telling for how long". Indy was stiff with years AND mileage now. The tree had taken Indy on a wild ride and taken him far, but the going now was slow, snow was deep, and Indy didn't take well to being a rag doll. It was not long before he realized the Storm was picking up. "Great, when it rains it pours" Indy muttered then surprised himself yelling, "I'm not done yet!" Indy turned back down hill and stumbled. He just didn't pick his foot up quite enough, maybe it got caught on a branch and head over heels he rolled. ?UGH, AH, OH!? He got up and whispered feebly but angrily, "I'm NOT done YET!"
Indy looked to the top of the mountain which had thrown almost everything at him...it had almost defeated him. "Be careful where you step Jones", he could hear the sarcastic but sweet voice ringing in his ears. "Marion?" Indy shook his head, remembering the cadence of her voice and words from long ago. ?Get a hold of yourself. This is not my life flashing before my eyes?, but he wondered for a moment, why he had heard Marion.
Indy was snapped back to reality as he saw a large patch of snow shake and fall. Too small to be a person he started towards it. A small black paw, stark contrast against the pristine white blanket dug its way through the top level. A bear cub! Indy's smile faded quickly as the mound behind it shook violently and Mother Bear erupted from her buried den. The avalanche was enough to wake them, want of air enough to scare them and my wonderful odor was clear if not over ripe: a hot meal! The Mother was on two legs bellowing and barring teeth large enough to belong in a museum! "Holy...Smokey" Indy said. Indy grabbed his whip; it had taken a beating saving his life not long ago and was almost in tatters. Indy swung his whip around and its motion stole the bear?s attention away, she swung her paws in unison with the fluid motion of the energy transfer, almost hypnotized. "Where are the bad guys when you need them?" Indy thought.

And then CRACK! Indy got one close enough and Mother Bear reached out enough to catch one on the soft side of her paw. GROWL- ROOARRR! "Nice job Indy" but it was Marion's voice he pecked himself with. This spurred Indy, (Crack-Crack) and the whip broke the skin across her nose as the last two feet of the whip came off and startled the bear landing on her face. Compounding the searing pain, shock and surprise, after all the bear was no friend of snakes either, was Indy himself, howling and screaming. The exertion of cracking the whip overcoming the adrenaline as the pain in his side finally put him on his knees. That was that. It was over; he looked at his gun and thought about the size of the bear, ?Even if I could get a clean shot...? Indy looked up and left, then right. He could just make out the Bear and two cubs lumbering but quickly through what remained of the forest. Ha! Ha ha ha! Indy started to chuckle and it grew into a laugh and into a deep belly laug---Owwww! Indy's side was killing him! He slowly stood, and reverently collected the end of his whip. He wondered if this was it for him too when he heard a low distant rumbling...
"What now?" But this wasn't a sound like the others. Growing steadily and constant Indy's eyes lit. "A train? No. Indy looked up, in the sky and saw a bird. A plane? No. Indy smirked at a long buried memory. The engine?s echo finally gave up its direction. ?A CAR!" About a hundred yards away and coming closer Indy could make out the shape of," a TRUCK!" It seemed to carve its way through the white sheet, but Indy knew he would have to be MUCH closer to make out the roadway. "A ROAD!" Indy felt new life as he leaped and bounded through the snow. The Flatbed pick up was having some trouble, or was it the driver, and they would never see him OR hear him in the weather. Indy looked to the right and there was: an outcropping of rock, a high wall which he might get to and signal the driver.

If not for the snow the speeding truck would have come to its final crumpled end many times over. Whoever it was, they were in a hurry and Indy was about to further complicate their day. ?No? Indy thought as he realized, ?no, he was supposed to go the other way!? No sooner did Indy recognize the truck and driver he saw the red sedan, (doing no better on the road) he noticed the truck was careening towards the only hard surface near the road within sight! ?Oh boy? Indy winced as the truck barely avoided a short stop, but still smashed the wall. Indy, just reaching the brink, was torn between preparing to jump and bracing for impact when the truck grazed the outcropping and helped the ice send Indy slipping off the edge.

No cat, but one life closer to nine, Indy landed on his back in the bed of the pick up a foot of snow making this his softest landing of the day. It took a moment but he rolled over and promised himself he would spend the next year teaching, ?no more adventures!? and added, ?still have to get out of this mess.? He got up and scrambled over the side, the impact had gotten his old friend to slow down if nothing else. He opened the driver side door and saw the closest thing to surprise on Grey Clouds face he would ever see. ?Move!? Indy yelled angrily, ?slide over! Come on, come on!? ?Grey Cloud stammered, "but you were?? Indy cut him off pushing the pipe into his hands, ?Yeah, yeah I know?and you were supposed to be leading them the other way!? ?I was? Grey Cloud countered. Indy threw a thumb up between them pointing behind them, ?the OTHER, other way! Grey Cloud examined the pipe and replied, The Great Spirit guides! For four hundred years my people?? The truck swerved violently cutting off Grey Cloud?s veneration and he almost fell into Indy?s lap. ?Good lord! This isn?t how you said it would be?? Grey Cloud exclaimed. Indy replied, ?I got it back for you didn?t I??

Stoo

Attlia the Professor said:
One thing that would help this happen is for somebody to start whispering "Doctor Zhivago" in Spielberg's ear.
Heh. Either that or Kurosawa's "Dersu Uzala", a beautifully-shot, snowbound masterpiece.
Moedred re: an avalanche said:
The only escapes that come to mind are outrun, ride, natural shelter, unnatural shelter. Maybe Spielberg's ball of life preservers from the Raiders transcripts... or he's buried, and following his whip tied to a makeshift buoy on the surface is the only way he knows which way is up... or behind a tree that creaks against the blast then snaps off right above Indy's head, whilst the villain who hid behind a large semicircular root system of a felled tree is crushed when the tree rights itself again, buried for good like a mafia victim under a sapling.
He could also get saved via aerial pick-up à la Amelia Earhart in "IJ and the Shrine of the Sea Devil". Jock could fly over in a Bell heliocopter with a lowered rope ladder, Indy whips hold of the bottom rung and gets pulled to safety.:whip:

I figured the avalanche idea would have been brought up already and should have read through the thread again. You mentioned "Never Cry Wolf". Good flick worth a re-watch because the frozen water scene is only a vague memory. I also really like your ice layer over a drained lake (even though it's a tad similar to the 'J' stone gag in "Crusade"). Anyway, hearing about that phenomenon is news to me. Very interesting, Moe.:)
Indy's brother said:
Now you're talking, Moe! If done right, the visuals from under the ice would be fantastic. Of course I can't help but imagine a cgi-fest of yet unseen proportions, with a corresponding legion of complaining fans.
Have you ever seen "Eight Below" about the sled dogs? Some great under-the-ice visuals in that one.
Montana Smith said:
An act of nature revealing something lost is one can be one those lucky accidents, an open clue that does without a lengthy pre-amble. A sudden tempting invitation to the inner world, into which the character ventures without any prior knowledge or insight. The finer details of what lays inside remain just as much a mystery for the audience, as it does for the adventurer.
Well put and is exactly why finding a hidden passage in the aftermath of an avalanche would fit very nicely with Indy's extreme-luck-factor.
Rocket Surgeon said:
Here's a script I did for the Radio Drama about a year ago.
When you first told me that it dealt with a snowbound Indy, I had a feeling it was a "Mystery of the Blues" backstory. Gotta love it!(y)

I'm not usually one for 'wish threads' or fan-fic but this is fun!:D

Le Saboteur

Axis Mundi

This could come in handy.

mount_kailash_10.jpg

There are several points in the world that can be considered to be the "Axis of the World," but perhaps none more so than Mt. Kailash in Western Tibet. At the Western edge of the Himalayas, it is not one of the higher peaks, but it has the distinction of being considered sacred by four different religions. And as such it has never been climbed.

For the Hindu, it is the seat of Lord Shiva and a place of eternal bliss; to Buddhists it represents a gigantic mandala of Dhyani-Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, as described in the famous Demchog (Chakrasamvara) Tantra; the Jain consider it to be the place where the first Jain Tirthankara, Rishabhadeva, attained liberation from the earth. And for the Bön, it is Tagzig Olmo Lung Ring, the seat of all spiritual power.

Why? It's four faces align with the four cardinal points of the compass; four of the world's major rivers have their headwaters at its base; and its southern face is famously marked by a long vertical cleft punctuated halfway down by a horizontal line of rock strata. This scarring resembles a swastika (yungdrung), a Bön symbol of spiritual strength.

1.1275415908.tarboche-with-mt-kailash.jpg

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
There are several points in the world that can be considered to be the "Axis of the World," but perhaps none more so than Mt. Kailash in Western Tibet.
Sounds good, Sir Sab. I think many people would like to see Indy back in that part of the world.

Another good, snow-bound idea could be mined from the largely-forgotten, 1974 Disney movie, "The Island at the Top of the World". It's a Jules Verne-esque story about explorers searching for The Whale's Graveyard in the Arctic and encounter a lost, Viking civilization. Great adventure flick with only very, small doses of kiddie humour.

For those who may wish to see the film and not spoil anything for themselves, I've blackened out the text.

Anyway, there is a cool scene where the heroes are trying to evade the Vikings in pursuit and find an opening in the ground. They climb down a massive ice formation into the bowels of the earth where they find a subterranean river which they follow along a ledge. The river finishes into a huge whirlpool at the dead end of the tunnel and they become trapped. The glacial formation they climbed down evenutally shatters & collapses down into the river so that the ice shards temporarily form a dam, cutting off the flow of water. The riverbed goes dry and the whirlpool drains away. Before the dam can burst, the heroes make their way down into the empty whirlpool cavity and escape through an opening below!

A fitting scenario for someone with Indy's miraculous luck!

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Sounds good, Sir Sab. I think many people would like to see Indy back in that part of the world.

Another good, snow-bound idea could be mined from the largely-forgotten, 1974 Disney movie, "The Island at the Top of the World". It's a Jules Verne-esque story about explorers searching for The Whale's Graveyard in the Arctic and encounter a lost, Viking civilization. Great adventure flick with only very, small doses of kiddie humour.

For those who may wish to see the film and not spoil anything for themselves, I've blackened out the text.

Anyway, there is a cool scene where the heroes are trying to evade the Vikings in pursuit and find an opening in the ground. They climb down a massive ice formation into the bowels of the earth where they find a subterranean river which they follow along a ledge. The river finishes into a huge whirlpool at the dead end of the tunnel and they become trapped. The glacial formation they climbed down evenutally shatters & collapses down into the river so that the ice shards temporarily form a dam, cutting off the flow of water. The riverbed goes dry and the whirlpool drains away. Before the dam can burst, the heroes make their way down into the empty whirlpool cavity and escape through an opening below!

A fitting scenario for someone with Indy's miraculous luck!

This could very well have been the film (when it was shown on TV) that introduced me to the weird world of pulp.

island05.jpg

Always had a fondness for snow-bound adventure.

With reference to the heroes' descent, the idea of a full-blown hollow earth, accessed at the poles, complete with a hidden civilization, is a fascinating idea for adventure. A journey Indy could still take on film, though preferably not booked as a family package holiday.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:

You are very kind, Gentle Stoo. ;) It would certainly give reason for A.) Marion to be around/talked about & B.) resolve the disappearance/death/whatever of Abner.

That said, I'm not particularly excited by a "snow bound" adventure. It could be done well, but would end up exchanging one set of monochromatic color for another. The series is in desperate need of a palette swap, and the northern reaches of China, Mongolia, and Siberia would do quite nicely.

There have been far too many earth tones thus far, and something needs to be done about it.

What would be really impressive if the adventure started out in the Winter and snowfall gradually increased throughout culminating in the escape through a furious blizzard!

Stoo said:

I remember that movie! I'll have to see if I still have my old VHS copy and give it a look see!

Mickiana

I just watched it on youtube. Not bad. Thanks Stoo. Freyja provided good exercise for the optic nerve!

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Suddenly stepping over a face staring up from the ice! Creepy.

Like the corpses in Tolkien's Dead Marshes.

A twist would be for Indy's companion to be trapped, and Indy actually fail to rescue them. If it was later in the movie, with the character already established, that would have come as a surprise.

Then Indy would be questioning his abilities and the danger he poses to those who follow him on his crazy journeys. A set up for Indy to redeem himself heroically and strike a blow for the older generation.

This would be wonderful, and a return to some serious drama for the series. I loved KOTCS's goofy, fun-loving tone and everything, but the next movie HAS to be more dark and edgy, to keep the series from becoming a parody of itself.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
the next movie HAS to be more dark and edgy, to keep the series from becoming a parody of itself.

Definitely. That's a reason why I liked the 'hellish' scenes in Doom . A second movie that immediately went for something different in tone and structure. Whether or not Lucas and Spielberg will be brave enough, or willing enough, to move away from the lighter family style is another thing.

I have a feeling that Lucas would rather turn Indy into National Treasure...

Stoo

@Montana Smiff: Awesome poster!(y)
Le Saboteur said:
That said, I'm not particularly excited by a "snow bound" adventure. It could be done well, but would end up exchanging one set of monochromatic color for another. The series is in desperate need of a palette swap, and the northern reaches of China, Mongolia, and Siberia would do quite nicely.

There have been far too many earth tones thus far, and something needs to be done about it.

What would be really impressive if the adventure started out in the Winter and snowfall gradually increased throughout culminating in the escape through a furious blizzard!
I agree with you about a 'palette swap' (nice term;)) but I wouldn't want the story to be entirely snow-bound. Only a portion of it. We've had glimpses in "Raiders" and "Doom" (and "Mystery of the Blues") but they were fleeting moments. 15-30 minutes of the white stuff in a possible Indy 5 would be enough to satiate my thirst.

Getting back to Moedred's idea of a drained body of water covered with ice: Perhaps my favourite moment in "Skull" is when Indy & Dovchenko break through the glass into the chamber below.(y) If Spielberg could channel the tension he built up in the scene from, "The Lost World - Jurassic Park", where Julianne Moore is on the breaking glass, it would make for a nail-biting scenario.
Mickiana said:
I just watched it on youtube. Not bad. Thanks Stoo. Freyja provided good exercise for the optic nerve!
It's on YouTube? Surprised it hasn't been removed.:eek: Glad you enjoyed it, somewhat, Mickiana and, yes, Freyja is a doll.:) The ice & whirlpool scene is just a perfect idea where a natural event produces the lucky chance Indy might need for a given situation (similar to an avalanche revealing a tunnel, as in the 1935 "She").

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
Just became available at Netflix.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/60011200

Stoo

Cool, Moedred!(y) Anyone interested in a good, snowy adventure film, watch "The Island at the Top of the World".:whip:

Indy's brother

I ran across this sweet baby in a documentary about monster trucks, of all things. It's a U.S. military arctic vehicle called a LCC-1, also known as the Sno Train:

298_789431416.jpg

The big rolling sections could make a decent action set-piece!

In the past if you had needed to transport massive loads to some of the most inhospitable places on earth you could rely on the creative Texan concern of RG LeTourneau.
This firm made load carrying 'truck trains' of up to 572ft long that could cope with Arctic cold or blazing desert heat.
link

They went into production in 1956, and remained in service until 1962.

LeT_mainunit-1-1.jpg

letourneaulogisticalcarva5.jpg

link

This was an amazing machine: gas-turbine-electric hybrid drive, 150-ton payload, a crew of six provided with bridge, bunkhouse, and galley and a self-tracking steering system. Additional power cars and cargo cars could be added as needed
link

qb4f243d83.jpg

ni4f243d92.jpg

Also, while searching for the appropriate thread for the above vehicle, I found this post I made in another thread over 2 years ago, but it belongs here more than it does there:

Indy's brother said:
While nothing can beat the russian aero-sled, there is another experimental soviet vehicle that offers a little bizarre visual pizzaz and potential for the gory demise of evil henchmen/soldiers:

(This one is from 1970, but read on...)
519476632_d86069b56d.jpg

capture1005200490559_am.jpg

The GPI-16 for example is circa 1967, according to this page which cites the craft as the inspiration for a remote control toy.

The truth is, Germany, the former Soviet Union, and the US have all dabbled in this technology at some point, beginning with the Germans in as early as 1944.

Here's a link to see one of these bad boys in action. If you actually checked out the video, you'll see that it doesn't look as retarded while it's actually moving. Well, you might think so, but I don't.

Here is a short but very informative summary of these vehicles along with pics and videos.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
I ran across this sweet baby in a documentary about monster trucks, of all things. It's a U.S. military arctic vehicle called a LCC-1, also known as the Sno Train:

What a great find! (y)

I love those snow vehicles that have a living space. I could imagine living quarters on each of those sections. There's something cool about the warmth and (semi) comfortable life out in a hostile frozen landscape. That was a major attraction for me with John Carpenter's The Thing. (And I have a DVD of Whiteout which I'm looking forward to watching).

This machine could replicate a train environment, as you state:

Indy's brother said:
The big rolling sections could make a decent action set-piece!

An ice camp in motion.