Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

WilliamBoyd8

A U.S. Air Force plane that disappeared 60 years ago in Alaska has been found on a glacier, 14 miles from where it originally crashed into a mountain.

The C-124 Globemaster and its crew of 52 servicemen were lost when the plane crashed in November 1952. A military spokeswoman said that a recovery team is still working to officially identify debris found on Colony Glacier, about 45 miles east of Anchorage, but that the military believes it to be from the long-missing place.

"They weren't seeing human remains. They were seeing wreckage. But it wasn't recoverable. It was frozen in ice," Dobson said.

Members of the recovery team descended into some of the glacier's crevasses to look for additional remains but were not able to recover further debris.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/air-force-plane-crew-missing-60-years-discovered-184738988.html

:)

Stoo

Summer is Over - Thread Bump!

Indy's brother said:
I just read through this thread again, and Stoo, you are the man.
Indy's brother said:
Stoo, I wish cusswords didn't get censored, because I would love to tell you (in no uncertain terms) that pic is F*cking Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Indy's brother, you are too kind. (Even if you don't feel the same way, today in 2013.:()

Four years ago, in 2009, I mentioned Alistair MacLean's, "Bear Island", in post #19 A few months later, in 2009, Moedred brought up Alistair MacLean's, "Where Eagles Dare", in post #60. Yet nobody has mentioned Alistair MacLean's, "Ice Station Zebra"! After many, many years, I've just watched it again and there is a particular scenario which would make for a great 'cliffhanger' in a potential Indy 5!

What is this snow-bound, 'cliffhanger'? Watch it and find out!:whip:

By the way, the secret agent in the film is named, Jones.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
...Alistair MacLean's, "Ice Station Zebra"! After many, many years, I've just watched it again and there is a particular scenario which would make for a great 'cliffhanger' in a potential Indy 5

Ice Station Zebra is a good one. I picked it up on DVD earlier this year - there was even an overture and intermission. (I've noticed that on a few DVDs of '60s films).

Ice_Station_Zebra_%28film%29_poster.jpg

Well-paced thriller with a wonderful sense of Arctic isolation.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Ice Station Zebra is a good one. I picked it up on DVD earlier this year - there was even an overture and intermission. (I've noticed that on a few DVDs of '60s films).

Well-paced thriller with a wonderful sense of Arctic isolation.
It's an O.K. film but I prefer, "Bear Island", by an Arctic mile. (Regarding the overture & intermission for "Zebra", I think it also had exiting music in theatre but am not sure.)

Anyway, the cliffhanger in "Zebra" that I was referring to was the sequence featuring a snow-covered crevasse, with men falling into it while dangling on ropes, threatened to be squished by moving ice drifts. It's a classic, wall-crushing scenario but one that is natural, rather than man-made.

'Twould fit fine in a snow-bound, Indy 5 adventure!(y)

P.S. Great poster, Smiffy!

Toht's Arm

These are great examples of where an Indy V could go. I'd like to see a good portion of the film confined to a ship at sea, then the aforementioned remote, snowy setting. As people have said, it would presumably be set in the 60s, and therefore the more remote the locations, the less likely it will look too 'modern day' for an Indy film. Also an excuse for a bearded Indy might be a good thing, considering Ford's age.

(PS: there's a great panel from one of the Dark Horse comics featuring Indy dangling from a cruise ship's anchor at night that I've always wanted to see in movie form. Perhaps someone more resourceful than me could post it here.)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Getting back to Moedred's idea of a drained body of water covered with ice:

Yes, getting back to this idea for a moment. While continually researching my own project, I came upon this quote:

In the centre of the wheel we are told is the point where there is no expansion or movement; it is Meru, the axis mundi, the spot of silence and stillness.

It's that spot of 'silence and stillness' that intrigues me. Here could be a sound oriented puzzle/trap/whatever; due to mistranslation by somebody, the lake begins to melt/shatter/whatever. People and equipment fall to their death and destruction while Indy & Co. scramble to safety and their ultimate reward.

Sea Monarch

Ice Station Zebra looks like my kinda movie. Been getting more into watching movies from the 60's and 70's lately. Just watched Poseidon Adventure for the first time a few months ago.

In the centre of the wheel we are told is the point where there is no expansion or movement; it is Meru, the axis mundi, the spot of silence and stillness.

Le Saboteur said:
It's that spot of 'silence and stillness' that intrigues me. Here could be a sound oriented puzzle/trap/whatever; due to mistranslation by somebody, the lake begins to melt/shatter/whatever. People and equipment fall to their death and destruction while Indy & Co. scramble to safety and their ultimate reward.

I like that idea a lot Le Sab. Been thinking for a long time it would be cool to see Indy in some snowy terrain in a movie (besides what's already been shown). I envision it as being intertwined with a half frozen, half lush Irish/Scottish Highland, or in similar hills in England while, searching for Excalibur, or something of that nature.

Stoo

Toht's Arm said:
I'd like to see a good portion of the film confined to a ship at sea, then the aforementioned remote, snowy setting. As people have said, it would presumably be set in the 60s, and therefore the more remote the locations, the less likely it will look too 'modern day' for an Indy film. Also an excuse for a bearded Indy might be a good thing, considering Ford's age.
Good point, Toht's Arm, about avoiding the "modern day" look.:) It's a perfect circumvention.
Le Saboteur said:
Brilliant idea, Sab. (Although, I seem to recall something similar before in a movie; a sequence dealing with sound & a cracking ice floor. Could it have been one of the made-for-TV, "Librarian" movies?:confused:)
Sea Monarch said:
I envision it as being intertwined with a half frozen, half lush Irish/Scottish Highland, or in similar hills in England while, searching for Excalibur, or something of that nature.
Personally, I'd like to see Indy somewhere in Northern Canada. With this scenario, Grey Cloud, from "Mystery of the Blues" (who lives in Alberta), could make an appearance.(y)

BRING BACK GREY CLOUD FOR INDY 5!:whip:
Sea Monarch said:
Just watched Poseidon Adventure for the first time a few months ago.
Egads!:eek: I grew up with the original, "Poseidon Adventure", and have seen it more times than I can count. Love it!(y)

Sea Monarch

Stoo said:
Personally, I'd like to see Indy somewhere in Northern Canada. With this scenario, Grey Cloud, from "Mystery of the Blues" (who lives in Alberta), could make an appearance.(y)

BRING BACK GREY CLOUD FOR INDY 5!:whip:
Egads!:eek: I grew up with the original, "Poseidon Adventure", and have seen it more times than I can count. Love it!(y)

Yeah, well, what can I say. Haha. The original Poseidon, was made before I was even alive. I actually saw the remake first, in theaters. But I still find the original to be superior, of course. I bought it sight unseen, and loved it. After watching it, I now wanna see The Towering Inferno, and some of the less popular disaster movies, such as Avalanche.

Yes, I agree Northern Canada would be great, for part of the movie, and I'd be down for seeing Grey Cloud again. He's an interesting sidekick.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Brilliant idea, Sab. (Although, I seem to recall something similar before in a movie; a sequence dealing with sound & a cracking ice floor. Could it have been one of the made-for-TV, "Librarian" movies?:confused:)

I'm positive it isn't original, but it could be handled well; i.e., forcing everybody has to use sign-language. See: Rififi's 30-minute heist sequence.

The Librarian?! Now there's something I haven't thought about since they aired. To be perfectly honest, I can only remember TNT's(?) extensive marketing campaign. That, and the battle in that mock temple/pyramid/whatever from the first entry. I don't even recall the third movie. Now if I could forget Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Sea Monarch said:
I envision it as being intertwined with a half frozen, half lush Irish/Scottish Highland, or in similar hills in England while, searching for Excalibur, or something of that nature.

While I'm down for a snowbound Indy adventure, please, Allah, no. Let's leave the Scottish Highlands* to Heathcliff & Catherine. In the words of Robert Byron,

Drink the high air. Stroke the stone
with your own soft hands. Say good-
bye to the West if you own it. And
then turn, tourist, to the East.​

*Besides, Lara Croft already found Excalibur.

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
While I'm down for a snowbound Indy adventure, please, Allah, no. Let's leave the Scottish Highlands* to Heathcliff & Catherine.

*Yorkshire Moors.

Somebody on the internet was wrong. ;)

Snowbound Indy just needs to get him away from the trappings of modern technology. So if it's an 'ice station', the radio has to be out. Return him to a pre-war situation, level the playing field, make him relevant. Old-fashioned adventure versus technology-driven action.

Sea Monarch

Le Saboteur said:
I'm positive it isn't original, but it could be handled well; i.e., forcing everybody has to use sign-language. See: Rififi's 30-minute heist sequence.

The Librarian?! Now there's something I haven't thought about since they aired. To be perfectly honest, I can only remember TNT's(?) extensive marketing campaign. That, and the battle in that mock temple/pyramid/whatever from the first entry. I don't even recall the third movie. Now if I could forget Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

While I'm down for a snowbound Indy adventure, please, Allah, no. Let's leave the Scottish Highlands* to Heathcliff & Catherine. In the words of Robert Byron,

Drink the high air. Stroke the stone
with your own soft hands. Say good-
bye to the West if you own it. And
then turn, tourist, to the East.​

*Besides, Lara Croft already found Excalibur.

Did you mean Sallah?;) He doesn't travel much outside of Cairo, due to his digging company, and his large family. ;)

Awww, what's wrong with Highlands?
Btw, I just love Lord Byron! You can say and do, no wrong, when quoting Lord Byron, or ending a sentence with him.(y)

Montana Smith

Sea Monarch said:
Did you mean Sallah?;) He doesn't travel much outside of Cairo, due to his digging company, and his large family. ;)

Awww, what's wrong with Highlands?
Btw, I just love Lord Byron! You can say and do, no wrong, when quoting Lord Byron, or ending a sentence with him.(y)

I think there's a little confusion here.

Robert Byron the travel writer (1905-1941).

George Gordon Byron, a.k.a. Lord Byron (1788-1824).

Don't know much about Robert, but there's a big old bronze bust of the latter on the mantelpiece!

Lord Byron said:
Mont Blanc is the monarch of mountains;
They crown'd him long ago
On a throne of rocks, in a robe of clouds,
With a diadem of snow.

This looks like a great location:

The Aiguille du Midi (3,842 m) is a mountain in the Mont Blanc massif in the French Alps.

The cable car to the summit, the Téléphérique de l?Aiguille du Midi, was built in 1955 and held the title of the world?s highest cable car for about two decades. It still holds the record as the highest vertical ascent cable car in the world, from 1,035 m to 3,842 m. There are two sections: from Chamonix to Plan de l?Aiguille at 2,317 m and then directly, without any support pillar, to the upper station at 3,777 m (the building contains an elevator to the summit). The span of the second section is 2,867 m measured directly, but only 2,500 m measured horizontally. Thus it remains the second longest span width, measured directly. The tramway travels from Chamonix to the top of the Aiguille du Midi ? an altitude gain of over 2,800 m ? in 20 minutes. An adult ticket from Chamonix (as of July 2011) is ?42.50 return.

The Aiguille summit contains a panoramic viewing platform, a cafe and a gift shop. The Vallée Blanche ski run begins here, and the nearby Cosmiques Refuge is the starting point for one of the routes to the Mont Blanc summit. From the Aiguille another cable car (summer months only), the Vallee Blanche Aerial Tramway crosses the Glacier du Geant to Pointe Helbronner (3,462 m) at the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Massif. Pointe Helbronner is served with a cable car from La Palud, a village near Courmayeur in the Aosta Valley (Italy).

The name ?Aiguille du Midi? translates literally as ?Needle of the South?.

aiguilledumidi5.jpg

aiguilledumidi4.jpg

aiguilledumidi3.jpg

aiguilledumidi2.jpg

aiguilledumidi1.jpg

http://www.imustgothere.com/aiguille-du-midi/

Stoo

Sea Monarch said:
After watching it, I now wanna see The Towering Inferno, and some of the less popular disaster movies, such as Avalanche.
The '70s, "Avalanche", is laughably bad. (There's also, "Avalanche Express", which came out a year later and is a tiny bit better.)
Sea Monarch said:
Yes, I agree Northern Canada would be great, for part of the movie, and I'd be down for seeing Grey Cloud again. He's an interesting sidekick.
Indy & Grey Cloud can get chased by a mob of angry, harpoon-throwing Inuits!
Le Saboteur said:
"Rififi"! Yes!(y) I really like the idea of a sound-activated peril (something other than an avalanche). It would fit right in with the light trap from "Raiders".
Montana Smurf ;) said:
Snowbound Indy just needs to get him away from the trappings of modern technology. So if it's an 'ice station', the radio has to be out. Return him to a pre-war situation, level the playing field, make him relevant. Old-fashioned adventure versus technology-driven action.
Agreed but I'd still like to see some aero-sled action.
Montana Smiff said:
This looks like a great location:
Man, I was just at Mont Blanc 2 weeks ago driving through the St. Bernard pass! I've been driven by (and flown over) so many times but have never been up it. Those stunning pictures are giving me idea of what to do this weekend.:)
www.imustgothere.com said:
The name ?Aiguille du Midi? translates literally as ?Needle of the South?.
It actually means, "Needle of Noon".

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Agreed but I'd still like to see some aero-sled action.

That's okay, aero-sleds are old-school.

Stoo said:
It actually means, "Needle of Noon".

Ha!

I copied and pasted and didn't notice it. But how did they let that one slip through the editing process? :D

Edit: Wiki has 'South' and 'Noon'.

Translation:

Needle of the Noon
Needle of the South (French)

:confused:

The cable car terminus in 1972, which will probably be close to the year when Indy 5 is set(!):

464px-Aiguille_du_Midi_cable_car_terminus_1972.jpg

Last edited:

Toht's Arm

Great location. And the aero-sled looks awesome.

Tie in a location like this with the idea that Indy's facing the 'winter' of his life, and the movie practically writes itself*!

(*it doesn't really, George. Seriously, get cracking.)

Kai Hagen

Darth Vile said:
I certainly like the idea of a snowy locale, and also a quest for Atlantis is an obvious choice (now KOTCS has taken us away from the more routine quest for religious artifacts).

The only thing I'd say is that I wouldn't want to see an Indy movie where the main locale was just snow and ice... simply because it gets quite bland, and fast. Perhaps 20/30 minutes in the snow/tundra would do before moving to a warmer climate. :)
Or the film could start in a warmer climate. Obviously, the university would be in one of the earlier scenes. The Indy movies don't start at the final discovery location right away. These films take the viewer to different locations where the clues are to be discovered. Maybe Indy could find more clues where the Piri Reis map was discovered. According to wiki, the map was discovered in a Turkish palace in 1929 by Halil Edhem on Gustav Adolf Deissman's request. Maybe one of them took an artifact with an additional clue to their own home. If Deissman took it, then Indy would have to fly to Germany to find it. Or it could just be Deissman's diary or notes. Other locations that Indy could explore are Christopher Columbus's home in Valladolid, Spain and Zheng He's secret cellar somewhere in the Temple of Mazu in Nanjing, China.

Spurlock

This would be a pretty cool setting, changing up Indy's look. The only thing that I would ask George Lucas or whoever writes it would be to not use Shangri-La to get him there. Shangri-La is an overused plot device, used in the third Mummy movie, as well as things like The Librarian.

If you don't know what Shangri-La is, it is a supposed valley within the Himalayas that's comparable to the Garden of Eden, with warm atmosphere and flourishing wildlife, even though it's among the Himalayan peaks.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Ha!

I copied and pasted and didn't notice it. But how did they let that one slip through the editing process? :D

Edit: Wiki has 'South' and 'Noon'.

:confused:
Strange. In French, the word, 'south', is 'sud' so it's hard to imagine how 'midi' is being translated as such.
Me said:
Man, I was just at Mont Blanc 2 weeks ago driving through the St. Bernard pass! I've been driven by (and flown over) so many times but have never been up it. Those stunning pictures are giving me idea of what to do this weekend.:)
Just one day after writing the above, I went up there!(y) Since I had to go to Geneva and was about a 45 min. drive from Chamonix in France, the sunny weather was begging for a trip to this wonderful location. Quite simply, it was a spectacular view and the highest place that I've been to, so far (3900 m / 12,795 ft). A humbling experience.

There are tunnels within the peak and an elevator which takes you up to the needle. The chalet houses a labyrinth of staircases.

Stoo at the Needle of Noon!

StooMontBlanc_A_zpsd8f4305b.jpg

StooMontBlanc_B_zpsfa9369ab.jpg

Third photo from the bottom has the Bosson Glacier in the foreground. The last one has a halo prism around the shadow of our cable car.

The Mont Blanc massif is a dangerous area, though, and it's common for climbers to die there (with about 3 or 4 deaths just last month alone :eek:) which makes it a snowy locale suited for Dr. Jones.

Montana Smith

Incredible photos of a fantastic location, Stoo. (y)

Stoo said:
The Mont Blanc massif is a dangerous area, though, and it's common for climbers to die there (with about 3 or 4 deaths just last month alone :eek: ) which makes it a snowy locale suited for Dr. Jones.

"Alps... very dangerous. You go first, Mutt."

It's far more impressive than Blofeld's lair, the Piz Gloria on the Schilthorn in Switzerland (which was a very cool lair in itself):

3687214_orig.jpg