What year should Indy 5 be set?

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
I agree with all of this. But I feel like the period from 1945 to 1963 is its own era, and the 60s as we think of them don't really start in earnest until after Kennedy, that is, after 11/22/63. It's about hope and optimism and idealism of a sort that are symbolized as collapsing with the assassination - and I think nothing we've ever heard from Spielberg and Lucas gives us reason to think they wouldn't go along with precisely this interpretation.

I like your interpretation of '45-'63. There was probably the euphoria of rebirth from the ashes of the war. Yet at the same time, though, there was a dark shadow: the cold war, the iron curtain (a term which Stalin apparently coined a few months before Churchill), and the political corruption behind the scenes - the suspicious death of Marilyn Monroe in 1962, a woman who yearned for and had the talent for more, but seemed crushed by the expectations of others. 1962 was also the year of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

After Kennedy came the drug-fueled era of hippy culture, like an escape or a reaction to a negative reality. And we're a long way from that mythical golden age of the 1930s-that-never-was.

Bond arrived on screen in 1962, and it was a time when super-villains really could hold the world to ransom. Two-fisted Indy with his potsherds at the beginning of KOTCS is now a truly anachronistic figure. Sadly, it's now the age of Mutt (and for me, that's the end of Indy).

Which is exactly what you already wrote:

Attila the Professor said:
It's true that there's room for a lot more exploration and adventure pre-'45 and as has been said, the Doomtown sequence dramatizes this very well, showing Indy as a relic who doesn't fit into the 1950s notions of suburbia. But post-1963, I'm not sure there's room for Indy's brand of heroism at all. So there's a declension of heroic ages, I suppose.

1954, with the beginning scene set some years prior, as it was in "The Last Crusade". It would be awesome to see Indy come back to Asia, with the main story taking place all throughout China, Tibet, Japan or similar exotic places.
They could also reference the War of Korea that was raging at that time, then the film would have all the right attributes to potentially become one of the most original adventure stories of all times (not many of them take place in eastern Asia).

Sadly, this is pretty much impossible...

mattzilla2010

This has all got me thinking - I'm pretty sure we're all expecting the fifth film to be the last (correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, should it be a definitive conclusion (i.e., Indy dies or retires) or more of "just another adventure" where he rides into the sunset at the end? I'm definitely leaning towards the former.

Indy 5 has the potential to be really sad and heartbreaking... as many have said, by the 1960s perhaps the world doesn't allow for an Indiana Jones. Maybe the plot could further develop the theme of Jones not fitting into a changing world. If the movie went that route there could be some very emotional stuff going on, especially for us Indyfans. I don't know if Spielberg and Lucas would have the guts to go with such a downer ending though.

Indy's brother

The Stranger said:
1954, with the beginning scene set some years prior, as it was in "The Last Crusade". It would be awesome to see Indy come back to Asia, with the main story taking place all throughout China, Tibet, Japan or similar exotic places.

I'm all for this. Digital/prosthetic makeup for a nice glimpse at Indy in his 30's again then do the "real" Indy reveal a-la LC showing our current-aged Indy already in an adventure in some exotic locale. Not necessarily Asia though, anywhere relatively untouched by America's changing times would be fine. Aside from vehicles, weapons, and things like that, I don't need any real references to the period. I think we all know well enough by now that it's the 50's/60's, not the 30's. A bunch of period references in Indy 5 would seem too familiar to KOTCS and would be an unnecessary distraction from the adventure itself. Know what I mean? Keep the action tight, and keep Dr. Jones off continent; KOTCS already spent the necessary time reintroducing Indy to the movie viewing public, along with acknowledging his age and era.

Matt deMille

I have a few thoughts . . .

1966 - *if* they got making it now. Meaning, for a release in 2011, which won't happen. That'd make it the 30th anniversary of Raiders both in real-time and movie-time. Also, if set in the '60s, it *could* be more of an espionage movie. That would play to Ford's age, but moreover, it would harken to what inspired Indy -- James Bond. The script I wrote has a large section of it taking place in Cuba, under Castro's new regime, and Indy having to go there in disguise.

2012 - Heck, set it in modern times. Have the "teaser" be WITHOUT Indy, but rather, have Mutt, now a grandfather (and thus a minor, soon-to-be-gone character), telling tales about Indy, and ending with "whatever happened to him? Nobody knows. He disappeared seeking . . ." Then someone takes the idea to heart and tries to track down the last adventure Indy never completed. And, on the way, they find Indy . . . he hasn't really aged since the late '50s due to some supernatural force in the ruins (fountain of youth, perhaps? Maybe a time-displacement from the Bermuda Triangle?) Anyway, Ford's age would be a non-factor at that point as it'd be remarkable that he'd be around at all. Plus, Indy in the 21st century would open up some really interesting possibilities. Since Indy V will be the last movie for certain, just go for broke!

Just another thought: Given what has been done with TRON 2, that of making Jeff Bridges appear 35 years younger (and it works well, believe me), would Lucas do that with Ford? Maybe Indy V could be set in the '30s after all. I know it sounds blasphemous, but what I've seen of Bridges in TRON LEGACY makes me a believer that is the new direction of film, at least to make stars look younger or older. Makeup has been one-upped to say the least.

Last edited:

TheLastCrusader

The Stranger said:
They could also reference the War of Korea that was raging at that time, then the film would have all the right attributes to potentially become one of the most original adventure stories of all times (not many of them take place in eastern Asia).

Sadly, this is pretty much impossible...
Yep this won't happen, but I like your idea the most out of this thread (y)

Yure

TheLastCrusader said:
I'd love a prequel. So 1955 or something.
That definitely won't happen though, because of the mutt, Mutt.

100% Quote.

I'd very much like a prequel in the mid Fifties, with Indy looking slightly younger and less "old man" puns. Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen because of the Mutt problem.

I'll go for 1962 or 1963, he could meet JFK...

...or Forrest Gump. The timing is right.

Also, I don't know if I want to see him fight the commies again (and that includes Korean as well)... on the other hand, Nazis have been greatly exploited, unless they go after some mad Hitler resurrecting plan in a secret Nazi base in Antartica :D

Major Eaton

Yure said:
on the other hand, Nazis have been greatly exploited, unless they go after some mad Hitler resurrecting plan in a secret Nazi base in Antartica :D

:whip:Forget the exploitation of the Nazi's. I wouldn't mind seeing them again in Indy V, even if the time period is set between 1959-1962. I'd like to see Indy go to Argentina for an expedition only to stumble upon a plot involving former Nazi's previously aided from Odessa. Toht's brother being among them, of course. :D Indy could initially struggle with local adversaries(similar to The Hovitos in Raiders or The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword in Last Crusade) before, once again, encountering his true enemy, the former Nazi's. It really wouldn't bother me a bit. Far fetched? Maybe. Promising? Who knows. Entertaining if done the right way? Certainly.

Note: The Nazi character concept could come from something like...
41.jpg

or, perhaps, maybe this for a henchman concept...
21.jpg

or, a female henchman concept for Spalko droolers...(remove the 30's cut to a 60's cut maybe)
75.jpg

:D :eek: :D

Montana Smith

Major Eaton said:
:whip:Forget the exploitation of the Nazi's.

Yes! (y)

Major Eaton said:
I wouldn't mind seeing them again in Indy V, even if the time period is set between 1959-1962.

Yes! (y)

Major Eaton said:
I'd like to see Indy go to Argentina for an expedition only to stumble upon a plot involving former Nazi's previously aided from Odessa. Toht's brother being among them, of course. :D Indy could initially struggle with local adversaries(similar to The Hovitos in Raiders or The Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword in Last Crusade) before, once again, encountering his true enemy, the former Nazi's. It really wouldn't bother me a bit. Far fetched? Maybe. Promising? Who knows. Entertaining if done the right way? Certainly.

Yes! (y)

Major Eaton said:
Note: The Nazi character concept could come from something like...

Yes! (y)

I love Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but I'll only play the catacombs if the lights are on! :eek:

Major Eaton

Montana Smith said:
I love Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I remember playing this a long while back and thinking about an Indy movie with some of the concepts. Needless to say, I laughed my tail off while in these crazy thoughts.:D

Montana Smith said:
I'll only play the catacombs if the lights are on! :eek:

So true. So very, very true.:D

No Ticket

Time travel. Indy goes back to 1940 something to save Sean Connery's character before his dad dies only to find out he can't save his dad. Sad :(

Indy Scout 117

Calo said:
I'd like to see the next movie in the early 60s or late 50s.
i agree, but lets not stick to the sci-fi alien theme. i know aliens were a big aprt of that time period, but one movie with aliens is more than enough (n)

Major Eaton

Indy Scout 117 said:
i agree, but lets not stick to the sci-fi alien theme.

I couldn't agree with you more. :D Everything has to be fresh(with the exception of Nazi's who escaped the crippling of the
Third Reich), especially if it is set in 1960 or later.

I am thinking Lucas will make it 1962 just because it would bring him almost full circle in his career in refrencing American Graffiti, its also a significant year because as someone else already pointed out it was the year Dr. No was released starring Sean Connery as James Bond.

I know it would most likely be super corny but if it was done really well where there is some reference to Indy noticing a resemblance between his father and Sean Connery. Or perhaps Indy sees a geneologist who informs him there is some relation between him and an up and coming actor named Sean Connery on his father's side. It would be even more cool if Sean Connery was actually in the movie as Henry Sr. and not dead, geneology seems like something his character would be into. Maybe there could also be some obscure reference to the Jonses being related via his mother's side to a Ford family in Chicago.

Calo

chicago103 said:
I know it would most likely be super corny but if it was done really well where there is some reference to Indy noticing a resemblance between his father and Sean Connery. Or perhaps Indy sees a geneologist who informs him there is some relation between him and an up and coming actor named Sean Connery on his father's side. It would be even more cool if Sean Connery was actually in the movie as Henry Sr. and not dead, geneology seems like something his character would be into.

Actually, I like the sound of that. Sounds very intriguing.

Mungi

Indiana Jones, which was inspired by James Bond, comes to an end when the time of James Bond began. I'm sure there's a lot of possibilities here, if you think of the great Bond movies setting in the Cold War ("Octopus-y" for example).

Raiders90

I vote that the film be split between 1964 and sometime between 1921 and 1923. Have Indy's quest in the present be connected in someway with an adventure of his past - Perhaps Indy in "the present" finally brings an adventure from his past to a proper conclusion.

I vote for 1964 as it is still in the pre-Vietnam and pre-Hippie era, and Indy would only be aged 65 - in-universe, not all that old, still able to credibly to engage in action; yet it is far enough from 1957 to account for Harrison's aging since 2008. Mutt need not cameo - after all, (retroactively), Short Round wasn't in Raiders or Last Crusade and we were never given an explanation for his absence in the films.

The younger segment I'd set somewhere between 1921 and 1923 as it would be post the YIJC, thus allowing for that series to still exist in continuity, while laying the groundwork for a new post-Harrison series that explores an unexplored (at least on-screen) era of his career.

What about you?