What year should Indy 5 be set?

Gobi-1

I say set it between 1958 and 1962. Harrison Ford at 65 played Indy at 58 in KotCS so I don't see why Ford in his 70s couldn't play Indy in his early 60s.

Duaner

1967 - 10 years after KOTCS. Mutt is absent from the film as he is serving in Vietnam.

If they were to go the route of a younger Indy also being a part of the film I think it should be somewhere around 1927. Long enough after Young Indy and also after the first relationship with Marion. I really don't need to see that story on film.

emtiem

'62 or '63 seems about right. The sixties hadn't started swinging by then so it feels more right for some reason.

Raiders90

Last edited by a moderator:

The Lone Raider

I've been working on a story since last December that would've been Indiana Jones 5 until they announced an actual Indy 5 movie. I initially had it take place in 1959 and with Mutt, but it has since been changed to 1961 and with all new characters instead. It would be believable to have it take place four years after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, as Ford was 38 in Raiders and 47 in Crusade, though the two movies are supposed to take place two years apart.
So I would personally think that it would be the most fitting for the movie to take place in the early sixties, while it's still plausible for Indy to be active and still has a more 50s vibe like Crystal Skull.

Raiders90

The Lone Raider said:
I've been working on a story since last December that would've been Indiana Jones 5 until they announced an actual Indy 5 movie. I initially had it take place in 1959 and with Mutt, but it has since been changed to 1961 and with all new characters instead. It would be believable to have it take place four years after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, as Ford was 38 in Raiders and 47 in Crusade, though the two movies are supposed to take place two years apart.
So I would personally think that it would be the most fitting for the movie to take place in the early sixties, while it's still plausible for Indy to be active and still has a more 50s vibe like Crystal Skull.

I could go with '61. I just hope they do not set it any later than 1965.

AndyLGR

I think the 60s are a logical assumption. But I don't think it matters too much as I don't believe they necessarily need to show a lot from that era. Especially if they set the film out of the way somewhere remote for instance.

Mickiana

1970?! I find this kind of funny, as it makes me think Indy was still adventuring when I was 2 years old! :D

I'm not disagreeing with it as an idea. It's just the cross over of my life time with his.

michael

It just feels like there is less to be discovered in the world when it gets to the 60s, 70s, ect.

I highly doubt they will touch the 70s.

I'm guessing it will be 50s.

Mickiana

Attila the Professor said:
<I>Not</I> 1963, at least insofar as I don't want this getting anywhere near the Kennedy assassination and mystique.

No mystique, except in the official narrative. I can see Indy listening to JFK's famous speech appealing to the press to uncover the monumental conspiracy he describes and who could disagree with his appeal?

There are major government departments involved, the Illuminati, the Mob, current power brokers in the background, heck, even Woody Harrelson's father was named as one of the shooters! Get Woody in for a short role! :D There has got to be a plot in there somewhere.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Mickiana said:
No mystique, except in the official narrative. I can see Indy listening to JFK's famous speech appealing to the press to uncover the monumental conspiracy he describes and who could disagree with his appeal?

There are major government departments involved, the Illuminati, the Mob, current power brokers in the background, heck, even Woody Harrelson's father was named as one of the shooters! Get Woody in for a short role! :D There has got to be a plot in there somewhere.

But the assassination is such well-tred territory in fiction; its concerns, frankly, seem rather remote from those of the Indiana Jones series.

Mickiana

Attila the Professor said:
But the assassination is such well-tred territory in fiction; its concerns, frankly, seem rather remote from those of the Indiana Jones series.

I do agree. Indy doesn't get into conspiratorial political stuff too much. It sits on the outskirts perhaps of what he does. Solving the wily machinations of JFK's assassination probably wouldn't require too much adventuring anyway.

But then again, Indy became embroiled in Cold War politics and McCarthyism in CS in a big way. It came looking for him of course.

Udvarnoky

This is why I'm saying the movie needs to take place overseas, in remote locations. If you're not in the U.S. you don't have to deal with politics or cultural events or anything topical if you don't want to. Ancient ruins and mountain temples looked the same in '69 as they did in '59 (or '39).

Duaner

I am agreeing with the majority on here. Even though it may be set in the 1960s, we don't want to have Kennedys, astronauts, Hippies, or Beatles.

WilliamBoyd8

From the Los Angeles Times April 1, 1970:

Leisure Acres Retirement Community sells first home to retired archaeology professor Henry...

:)

temple_runner

I watched an episode of Expedition Unknown last night that talked about Angkor Wat, a 12th century temple in Cambodia that has a large role in the Vietnam War. There were tons of land mines planted during the war, people being enslaved, and interesting and potentially magical powers at work (see King Jayavarman).

I instantly thought it would be interesting to see Indiana trying to reach the temple and restore the power, all the while fending off someone who is trying to steal the power for him/herself.

dr.jones1986

temple_runner said:
I watched an episode of Expedition Unknown last night that talked about Angkor Wat, a 12th century temple in Cambodia that has a large role in the Vietnam War. There were tons of land mines planted during the war, people being enslaved, and interesting and potentially magical powers at work (see King Jayavarman).

I instantly thought it would be interesting to see Indiana trying to reach the temple and restore the power, all the while fending off someone who is trying to steal the power for him/herself.

I like that show as well and when I saw that episode I thought it would make a great Indy adventure set during the Vietnam War. We have yet to see Indy in South East Asia, which would make a great setting for the film. It would certainly have the type of locals that Indy would feel at home in.