Gwendoline Christie for Indy V

Toht's Arm

Okay, so I realise that folks here think it unlikely Indy V ever happens, but if it does, can I humbly suggest Gwendoline Christie as an actress with which Indy has a fist fight? We know that he's likely to go head to head with someone much larger than him, as is always the case, and how about if that someone was a woman? Might mix things up a bit...

For those who haven't watched Game of Thrones, Christie plays Brienne of Tarth, a female knight. At 6'3", the actress can be quite imposing.

game-of-thrones-brienne-and-cat.jpg

brienne.jpg

Gwendoline-Christie-Tall-Woman.jpg

Thoughts?

Rivers

Toht's Arm said:
Okay, so I realise that folks here think it unlikely Indy V ever happens, but if it does, can I humbly suggest Gwendoline Christie as an actress with which Indy has a fist fight? We know that he's likely to go head to head with someone much larger than him, as is always the case, and how about if that someone was a woman? Might mix things up a bit...

For those who haven't watched Game of Thrones, Christie plays Brienne of Tarth, a female knight. At 6'3", the actress can be quite imposing.

game-of-thrones-brienne-and-cat.jpg

brienne.jpg

Gwendoline-Christie-Tall-Woman.jpg

Thoughts?
(in my best Mike Myers, Doctor Evil voice)..... How about Nooooooo....

Vance

Mickiana said:
I reckon 'why not?'. She might offer a bit more menace, or at least dramatic threat, than did Cate.

Since the average Hollywood starlet is typically a tiny thing, this woman could definately a pulp Amazonian henchmen. She's attractive (when not battle-worn as a knight, obviously), and would be more than imposing for the typical 5'6" firebrand pulp women.

Rivers

Mickiana said:
I reckon 'why not?'. She might offer a bit more menace, or at least dramatic threat, than did Cate.

I do believe He is suggesting her for just a fist fight not the leading villan like Cate was.

So in that case....why??? We have already seen Indy win fist fights with 6'3 men, why would a fist fight with a female be a dramatic threat??....

Toht's Arm

Rivers said:
I do believe He is suggesting her for just a fist fight not the leading villan like Cate was.

So in that case....why??? We have already seen Indy win fist fights with 6'3 men, why would a fist fight with a female be a dramatic threat??....

First off, I should point out that I think the franchise's obsession with featuring certain elements in every film is a bad idea. We don't really need to see him have the college scene/have the baddie killed by the artefact/have Indy square off against a much bigger opponent etc...but we do see it, time and time again.

So, if they were insistent on this particular aspect, I thought it would be a nice variation on the theme. They could play up the idea that Indy would never hit a woman - and then have her pummel the sh*t out of him, eventually forcing him to take her on.

And you're right, I was suggesting her for the part of 'muscly goon', but there's no reason they couldn't make the role more substantial in other ways.

Mickiana

Rivers said:

What Toht's Arm said and maybe a dozen more good reasons. Use your imagination.

Kernunnos

I do not ever want to see Indiana Jones having a fist fight with a woman.

I don't care if he's 80 and she's 10 ft tall.

dlupus

Kernunnos said:
I do not ever want to see Indiana Jones having a fist fight with a woman.

I don't care if he's 80 and she's 10 ft tall.

ROFL! I kind of agree... A younger Indy fighting a woman would be cooler than an &0 something Indy... But no punches he would have outsmart her and trick her!

Randy_Flagg

I don't see why people think Indy would never punch a woman. I could totally see him doing it. If she's threatening to destroy the world or something, why not? I think people tend to always associate "punching a woman" with "spousal abuse," but that's not accurate. If the woman poses a serious threat, sometimes you have to do something. Hell, even goody-two-shoes MacGyver punched a woman in the TV movie, "Trail To Doomsday." Anyone remember that? She was about to launch a missle, and Mac needed to stop her, so punched her and knocked her out. I think that was totally justified.

Lao_Che

She could be effective in the Pat Roach role. If she's the bigger and stronger fighter I don't see the problem with Indy defending himself. He did so in Emperor's Tomb against the Feng Twins.

Heck, if he's reluctant to throw a punch there could be something in Indy having to succeed by other means.

Indy's brother

Just to be a jerk....uh, make that, "Just to *play devil's advocate".....Indy did punch a girl in the beginning of TOD (albeit a stoned case of mistaken identity). Furthermore in the position of devil's jerk, allow me to continue by saying that Indy exists in a very bigoted universe where not only black people don't exist, but other groups (including genders) are painted with a very broad stroke of one-dimensional stereotypes. You want to alienate fans that already couldn't withstand a different slant on the Indy adventure? Have him punch a woman in the face a dozen times onscreen. Whatever your mental image of how an action scene like that could work, it would alienate viewers. Fans and casual filmgoers alike. Indy may not exactly be Dale Carnegie, but he's not really one to use his pimp-hand, either.

Randy_Flagg

Indy's brother said:
You want to alienate fans that already couldn't withstand a different slant on the Indy adventure? Have him punch a woman in the face a dozen times onscreen. Whatever your mental image of how an action scene like that could work, it would alienate viewers. Fans and casual filmgoers alike. Indy may not exactly be Dale Carnegie, but he's not really one to use his pimp-hand, either.

I guess I just don't see how it would alienate people. Of course, it would have to be set up properly-- We'd have to see that the woman poses a very definite threat to either Indy or someone he cares about, or to the world. Obviously no one is proposing that he should walk into the kitchen and say to Marion, "Where's my dinner, b-itch?!" and punch her in the face (that might alienate people), but if the woman is a threatening villain, giving Indy no choice but to fight back, then sure, why not? I think most people would be okay with that. But again, it all comes down to how the scene is set up.

Indy's brother

It's been attempted once in the franchise already. Henry Jones III had his butt handed to him by Spalko, and also got to get pounded in the groin several times while doing so. It didn't seem edgy, or make us think Mutt was any more interesting. That's the type of scenario that would keep audiences from disliking Indy for fighting a woman, but it's not one that I would like to see: Indy losing a fight with a girl/comic foil.

Mickiana

Because of her size, we would expect her to be a physical adversary. If she were presented as being mean enough and butch enough, then I don't see a problem with Indy doing what he has to do in order to scrape through again. He plays dirty in order to play again another day. Like Randy Flagg says, it could work depending on how it's set up.

Mickiana

It wouldn't have to be a fight with fists. It would be much more interesting if it involved wit and cunning. If she were shown to be as threatening with ploy as with physical presence then it could be quite a confrontation for Indy to get out of once again.

Archaeos

That's an interesting individual of whom - until this thread came along - I had never heard before.

Of course all the relevant points have already been mentioned, and I particularly agree with Indy's Brother here.

I could see her included in a Pat Roach-type role rather than a Cate Blanchett or Alison Doody-type of role.

The problem is just that it is a very fine line the screenwriter would have to walk to make Gwendoline Christie look appropriate, as in "fitting into the narrative", have some substance, rather than just being showcased as some freakish hench(wo)man as we know them from the James Bond 007 films. The latter I would disapprove of for Indiana Jones - hence why I am now somewhat worried that Lucas might find that idea appealing and pen an entire plot just around her ;) .

Toht's Arm

Archaeos said:
hence why I am now somewhat worried that Lucas might find that idea appealing and pen an entire plot just around her ;) .

I'd like to think that Lucas comes to places like this for inspiration, but then again, maybe that's why he seems so paranoid, indecisive and offended when talking about sequels of his beloved classics... ;)