Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreGoingToDie

I really hope this means a video game, new novel(s) and documentaries are releasing to coincide with the release!

Wonder if we can get that Staff of Kings thing rolling again, try to get Disney and Lucasfilm to finally publish it.

EvilEmperorZoRG

I really hope that we will finally get a next gen Indiana Jones game along with the movie. But with different story, maybe set back in the 30s again. And H. Ford Face/Voice of course.

The cancelled 2007 game really looked great and I wonder why they cancelled it...

kongisking

Kongisking hath returned! Just saw the news mere moments ago.

I deserve every insult imaginable for losing faith that this would happen.

Oh, what a day. WHAT A LOVELY DAY.

Mike00spy

Obviously, it will be interesting to see what direction they take.

If we look at Indy history, the only other time an Indy movie was met with some criticism was Temple of Doom, and the Big 3 changed directions to mimic Raiders.

I would be shocked if they didn't follow the same route this time, based on the underwhelming response to Skull. Of course, we can look to Star Wars to see where Indy 5 might be headed as well. Ep 7 threw out the prequels and gave people fans what they wanted, which was the original trilogy. This supports the idea we are getting a film in the same vain as Raiders (and/or Temple or Crusade) as well. Does this mean a return of Sallah? Short Round? Connery cameo? (he really needs a good bye role- League of Extraordinary Gentleman isn't exactly fitting)

Possible Long Shot: Disney gives Indy fans a big kiss in the form of Fate of Atlantis?

Hopefully, in the end, the course correction involves the following the things:

A: Practical Effects
B: Greater Scope with more on location shooting.
C: Darker Tone (Doesn't mean it has to be "DARK" but a bigger sense of danger would be great.

James

Finn said:
I'll have that dish once we know to what extent Mr. Ford will feature. Full course, bookends, flash forwards, two stories running parallel in the past and the present?

I'd be very surprised if the same dynamic seen in KOTCS and The Force Awakens* isn't used as the template. Ford may not be expected to carry every single set piece but Force Awakens clearly demonstrated he's capable of headlining a blockbuster.

(*It also won't surprise me if Indy is paired with a young female sidekick this time around- or even if Ridley or Boyega are considered for roles.)

Mike00spy

As for the possible 1960s time period,

Does Spielberg take things full circle and draw some inspiration from the 1960s Cold War/Spy craze?

Lambonius

Finn said:
I'll have that dish once we know to what extent Mr. Ford will feature. Full course, bookends, flash forwards, two stories running parallel in the past and the present?

This. I think any one of those options would make for an interesting twist on the usual Indy movie formula. Here's hoping.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
So, Am I getting your leftovers, or do I have to order my own plate?
Boy, were we wrong.

Maybe we weren't. I just found this spoiler of Harrison and Karen on their first day of filming.

2r6f7lj.jpg

Perhaps we were only wrong in what ROLE Harry's been given in the new film.

Duaner

This is some great news, but there is nothing to suggest there won't be another actor as Indy in the same film. The idea of Ford bookends has been tossed around many times on here. I still believe this is the route they will go.

curmudgeon

If they bookend it, I'd at least hope the past portion is set in a time period where we don't already have a live-action Indy. Maybe some expedition with Abner in the mid-20's?

IndyForever

The interesting unanswered questions are:

1: Is George Lucas involved or not as its clearly his favourite character so will he be a creative consultant or is he really done with Indy as he did state to Bloomberg TV a few years ago Indy 5 is the only movie he may be involved with.
2: Will John Williams return. His TFA score was IMO terrible. Either because he was not working with Spielberg/Lucas, the onscreen material was uninspiring & or his recovery from his heart operation has taken its toll & sapped his creative juices. If not who would/could replace him.
3: Will Shia be involved. (unlikely but by the time they film perhaps Spielberg would be willing to give him another chance in a small part).
4: What time period (I think 1959 is most likely I cannot see Spielberg setting it in the late 1960s as he would either have to avoid or carefully script the story to reflect certain years & world events).
5: Will they film 2 movies back to back or is it just 1 final Harrison adventure.

Duaner

IndyForever said:
The interesting unanswered questions are:

1: Is George Lucas involved or not as its clearly his favourite character so will he be a creative consultant or is he really done with Indy as he did state to Bloomberg TV a few years ago Indy 5 is the only movie he may be involved with.
2: Will John Williams return. His TFA score was IMO terrible. Either because he was not working with Spielberg/Lucas, the onscreen material was uninspiring & or his recovery from his heart operation has taken its toll & sapped his creative juices. If not who would/could replace him.
3: Will Shia be involved. (unlikely but by the time they film perhaps Spielberg would be willing to give him another chance in a small part).
4: What time period (I think 1959 is most likely I cannot see Spielberg setting it in the late 1960s as he would either have to avoid or carefully script the story to reflect certain years & world events).
5: Will they film 2 movies back to back or is it just 1 final Harrison adventure.

1. I don't think Lucas wants anything to do with what he called "white slavers."
2. TFA score was great. Sure it was not the quality of Empire Strikes Back (easily the best of the Star Wars scores), but it was still an incredible piece of work for Williams. But anyway, as long as the familiar Indiana Jones theme is still present, it would not matter to me if Williams scored the film. There are plenty of strong film composers out there.
3. Watch Fury! Shia's not that bad of an actor.
4. That would make Indy 60 years old. Harrison will be 77 when they film. I think we are looking at late 1960s at the earliest.
5. I would guess this is Harrison's last outing as Indy. No basis for that - just my gut feeling.

IndyFan89

What makes me excited is the way TFA was handled. Disney certainly has a good handle on trying to make fans happy and I think they will deliver with this film.

As for McGuffin I think they should do a spin on the popular Fate of Atlantis storyline IMHO.

EvilEmperorZoRG

Duaner said:
5. I would guess this is Harrison's last outing as Indy. No basis for that - just my gut feeling.

If he can play Indy in 2017 or 2018 he will be probably able to film one last IJ in 2020 or so... Of course it's different than Star Wars. Spielberg or Ford might not be willing to do more IJ films. In Star Wars it's just Disney pulling the strings. But if it's a success (I'm sure it will be) then Disney might try to get Harrison Ford and Spielberg to make one more.

Billy Ray

Awesome news!

Now where is Turin Tambor to tell everyone how wrong they were about Chris Pratt and how fit and strong "Harry" is with his "bulging vanes" on his "four arms" :D

Indymag

Billy Ray said:
Awesome news!

Now where is Turin Tambor to tell everyone how wrong they were about Chris Pratt and how fit and strong "Harry" is with his "bulging vanes" on his "four arms" :D

The man was a prophet.

Udvarnoky

Dr.Sartorius said:
I only have two hopes. 1. No young sidekick. 2. No passing of the torch.

Far more crucial hopes:

1) No David Koepp
2) Janusz Kaminski misplacing his diffusion filters

QBComics

Oh my god, I've aged nearly a decade since I joined this board.

I saw the news and just had to come dust off my account. Been a while, folks. :whip:

Status
Not open for further replies.