Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
On the assumption that its not the fountain of youth, wouldn't it be great to have an Indiana Jones film where he's making sh*t happen instead of it happen to him?

At this point in his life, what could he possibly NEED?. Seriously. You're an old man. What do you need, apart from youth that your very illustrious life doesn't/hasn't provided?

He'll have to be alternatively motivated.

Dr.Sartorius

Moedred said:
Snow in the forecast?

I'd love a snow bound Indy movie.

2r5rc74.jpg

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
He'll have to be alternatively motivated.
Agreed - and it remains to be seen what Koepp/Spielberg come up with.

On the other hand, we certainly know what's behind Ford's motivation... ;-)

one-hundred-100-dollar-bill-img.jpg

DoomsdayFAN

Attila the Professor said:
Moreover, though, based on your critiques of KotCS, most of which I'm on board with (bad jokes, odd cinematography, perhaps directorial softness), I don't see how you think Lucas not being involved is a good thing, especially as he was almost certainly not going to have any power in the process other than advisory.

I think it's great that he's not involved because A) He's single handedly responsible for the disastrous Prequels. And B) He's primarily responsibly for KOTCS. It just seems like the man is finished as far as coming up with good ideas.

But Spielberg already said Lucas would be an Executive Producer, so I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas have talked about it.

DoomsdayFAN

Randy_Flagg said:
That's my concern, too. They already made Indy into an old man in the last movie. I know the die-hard Ford fans like to point out that Ford is still in good shape, but regardless, the movie itself portrayed Indy as an older guy who simply didn't seem to enjoy adventuring as much as he once did. When Marion drove off the cliff, he told her "Don't ever do that again!" whereas in all the previous movies, HE would have been the one driving off the cliff. They tried to turn him into his father ("This is intolerable!", etc.) And now, as you said, we're 11 years after that, so who will Indy be this time? If they suddenly make him back into his younger, adventurous self again, it won't make sense. On the other hand, if they continue to make him even stodgier than he was in KOTCS, it will make sense from a character perspective, but who would actually want to watch it?

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. I don't care if Indy is 36 or 76. He should still be able to go on a ToD-level adventure. :gun:

I know that sounds nuts, but if Adventure has a name........ ;) (No sense in making him less adventurous).

Point is, they should quit with trying to make him feel so damn old, stop having him or other characters acknowledging it, and just let Indy go on his adventure. I hope this next one is one of his most action packed adventures ever.

Also, I hope the poster for movie is good this time. I love the posters for the first three films. The KOTCS one was just like the film itself......terrible.

Dr.Sartorius

I fully expect Ford to portray Indy the same way he did Solo in TFA... meaning he'll be involved in a lots of fun action sequences but letting younger characters dominate during other important sequences...This is Disney they're not going to make a tentpole summer movie with a 75 year old leading man as the only star.

DoomsdayFAN

Dr.Sartorius said:
I fully expect Ford to portray Indy the same way he did Solo in TFA... meaning he'll be involved in a lots of fun action sequences but letting younger characters dominate during other important sequences...This is Disney they're not going to make a tentpole summer movie with a 75 year old leading man as the only star.

giphy.gif

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Dr.Sartorius said:

This can't be done with Indy. In Star Wars Han Solo, inspite of his first billing, was a character helping the main (new) leads, in Indy he is the leading character.

Indy86

Indy in the snow, why not? But not for the full movie. But an everywhere movie why not: desert, jungle, city, snow..., wait that's Raiders.

Dr.Sartorius

Sakis said:
This can't be done with Indy. In Star Wars Han Solo, inspite of his first billing, was a character helping the main (new) leads, in Indy he is the leading character.

It already started happening with KOTCS...Mutt initiated the escape from the Russians after they were first captured...and he was the dominant action character in the jungle chase. I'm not saying Indy won't be the central figure/leading character.

Olliana

It's kinda funny how people tend to forget that Ford's Indy actually has been in the snow three times already: ROTLA, TOD and MOTB.

I know I know, you're talking about snow playing a bigger role for the story, but I thought this should be pointed out nevertheless.

Finn

Staff member
DoomsdayFAN said:
I'm surprised he agreed to do TV, even if it was for just one episode. How long was he in the episode for?
The two bookends he appears in last for about five minutes total. Majority of the episode still belongs to SPF.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A little more of that Koepp interview:
You?ve worked with Spielberg a number of times including now, has he changed at all as a collaborator over his career or is he still the guy that you were working with back on Jurassic Park?

KOEPP: That was about 23 years ago, so we?re both older. But, no, he?s the same guy in that the fun part is making them up, that?s the fun part. Rewrites I can take or leave, but the making it up part is the jazz. And what?s nice about Steven is he really views kicking around the story as the world is alive with possibility, rather than the way a lot of people view it as all so confusing and lame. There?s two kinds of collaborators, the ones that tell you everything doesn?t work and the ones who try to make stuff actually work. And he will run with almost any idea you throw out there, you may run with it a then both realize it?s not that difficult. He?s a very positive inventor, he?s a very constructive collaborator instead of a destructive one.

DoomsdayFAN

I really love Spielberg's way of looking at things. It sounds like he really enjoys the creative process (of the story) almost more than anything. I can relate to that. I just hope for Indy 5 they really get crazy and let their imaginations run wild and don't hamper themselves by what's "not realistic" or "cost effective." Let's go out with a bang! :whip:

Who do you guys think Spielberg will hire as cinematographer?

Indy86

I think the ones like Spielberg are the greatest. He seems like a we'll-figure-it-out-kinda-guy and corporates everyone's ideas in his film no matter how small it is.

DoomsdayFAN

I'm wondering what they could possible use as the McGuffin that could possibly come close to the Ark or the Holy Grail? Perhaps they'll go for something more like in ToD, where it's important, but it's not on the same level as the other two.

But what religion should it be? We have Hinduism, Judaism, and Christianity. I wouldn't mind if they did something with Buddism, but realistically, would they even go there knowing how sensitive China is, and risk China not showing the film? Probably not. Though, this is a two sided coin, because if they make the McGuffin Buddism-related and make a number of the cast Chinese, they may have an in there.

I for one desperately want to see Short Round again. Preferably in more than just a cameo. With a Buddism-based McGuffin, it would be the most perfect opportunity to bring him back (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.