Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy Jones

BEYOND excited!

I truly believed another film was coming. But another with FORD? I didn't think it likely, but I was never against it.

I don't give a damn what age he is. Bring it on!

Dr. Gonzo

Dr.Sartorius said:
I only have two hopes. 1. No young sidekick. 2. No passing of the torch.

Welcome back Dr. Sartorius! The old faces are starting to emerge from the shadows!

Udvarnoky said:
Far more crucial hopes:

1) No David Koepp
2) Janusz Kaminski misplacing his diffusion filters

Kaminski might be a forgone conclusion since he's been Speilberg's DP since the mid 90's... but here's to him not misplacing those filters!

Last edited:

Raiders90

It's going to suck seeing Harrison cameo for maybe 10 minutes while Hollywood's favorite manchild Chris Pratt struts around screen as Indy. He's basically the skinny version of Seth Rogen. Perpetual manchild. This is going to be a disaster and an insult to Ford. Calling it now, and in 2019, when Harry's Indy bookends the film only, bedridden and telling stories of his youth to his grandkids, and Chris manchild Pratt is the new Indy, you'll say, "Raiders112390 was right."

James

IndyForever said:
The interesting unanswered questions are:

2: Will John Williams return. His TFA score was IMO terrible. Either because he was not working with Spielberg/Lucas, the onscreen material was uninspiring & or his recovery from his heart operation has taken its toll & sapped his creative juices. If not who would/could replace him.
3: Will Shia be involved. (unlikely but by the time they film perhaps Spielberg would be willing to give him another chance in a small part).
4: What time period (I think 1959 is most likely I cannot see Spielberg setting it in the late 1960s as he would either have to avoid or carefully script the story to reflect certain years & world events).
5: Will they film 2 movies back to back or is it just 1 final Harrison adventure.

2/3. I assume Williams will be offered the baton and likely accept it, while Mutt will simply be referenced. (Spielberg may want Mutt and Marion to at least cameo, though.)

4. Given that it will have been a full decade since KOTCS, a 1960s setting is probably unavoidable. However, you never know. It's not like casual moviegoers would immediately remember or realize that a film set in 1959 is technically only a few months after the finale of KOTCS. All that will really matter is that it's a period piece.

5. The two film idea appears to be wishful thinking. Ford was rumored to have signed a three film deal before KOTCS, but that was with Paramount. There's also no real reason for such a move at this point. Ford is going to be old when he stars in Indy 5, just as he was old when he starred in Indy 4. If audiences are willing to accept that fact, it's not out of the question that he couldn't reprise again in 2021/22. (I have a feeling Indy 5 will be his swansong, but nonetheless "Old Indy" is a thing now. Just as "Old Rocky" and "Old Han Solo" have been equally embraced.)

James

As for the likelihood of Ford being relegated to a "bookend", has there been any real basis for expecting such a scenario to occur? I realize fans have discussed it for a long time- presumably because they couldn't imagine Ford playing this role in his seventies- but it doesn't appear to be a sentiment shared by anyone involved in the actual production.

Frank Marshall's comments about no one else being cast in the role seemed to rule out the possibility of seeing a younger Indy via flashback. Spielberg has essentially echoed that intent and has long said he can't imagine anyone else in the role. Even Disney was said to be very pleased internally with Ford's involvement in Force Awakens, and there's no doubt they're hoping to duplicate that same successful formula with Indy.

It would be different if a new creative team was stepping behind the camera with "reinvention" in mind, but we're talking about the same core group that loves this franchise and all its traditions. I'd say we're far more likely to get an older Indy aided by a comic sidekick (Chris Pratt) and ass-kicking heroine (Daisy Ridley) than a variation on "Mystery of the Blues".

Kingsley

InVader said:
I think the best part of Indy 4 was all of the traffic here on the forum. Hopefully, like last time, lots of fun stuff to come.
Well, that's my feeling too. It's good to be back!!
Let's hope this time we get a better movie, worth of the character. But the ride till 2019 will surely be entertaining ;)

avidfilmbuff

It's been a while since I posted here. After being throughly disappointed with the way that Disney handled The Force Awakens, it's good to see that at least they had the decency to bring back both Ford and Spielberg, rather than just simply rebooting the franchise. Nevertheless, I am worried about the fact that George Lucas seemingly has no involvement with this. Because unlike the rest of the world, I believe him to be a great filmmaker and loved Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just as much as the original trilogy. For me, what makes the franchise so captivating is the nostalgia that fuel both Lucas and Spielberg for the films and entertainment of their youth. The series is not merely escapism but is also an homage to escapism. It pained me terribly to see just how criminally misunderstood Crystal Skull was, and how filmgoers chose to ignore the homage to 50's b movies and instead chose to focus on minor flaws and exaggerate the amount of cgi the filmmakers employed. Just as they chose to ignore the themes of political corruption, mythological elements, and the tragic backstory of the Star wars prequels. Well, I trust Spielberg but I don't know if I can trust Disney to not meddle in the production for the sake of pleasing disappointed fans. But then again, maybe that's what the fans desire. When George Lucas attempted to create something original with the prequels, he was brutally criticized. When JJ Abrahms copied A New Hope, he became the critics' darling. Honestly, I'm really beginning to feel really alienated from modern day filmgoers, and I truly hope that this upcoming Indy film won't exasperate those feelings.

DeepSixFix

There are bigger plans beyond Ford

Dr.Sartorius said:
I only have two hopes. 1. No young sidekick. 2. No passing of the torch.

This won't be a one-off, that was done with KOTCS. This will be to reinvigorate and extend the Indiana Jones franchise into the 2020s to legions of new fans.

IJ is based on classic adventure stories, it's not about an 80-year old Indiana Jones stumbling through Vietnam in the 1960s. It's not the archetype, it won't make much sense. Disney has grander plans.

The template for success in this business is world-building and creating a universe now. That means a new series, origin story, etc. Harrison Ford will be used like he was in The Force Awakens, bringing his star power to help launch this new universe (perhaps setting it up as a frame or story-within-a story) to build out this world returning to the 1920s and 30s where a character like Indiana Jones belongs.

James

avidfilmbuff said:
For me, what makes the franchise so captivating is the nostalgia that fuel both Lucas and Spielberg for the films and entertainment of their youth.

I do think a big part of the magic of this franchise is the way the talents of Lucas, Spielberg, and even Ford play off each other. It makes the Indy series more distinct and interesting than one where producers are merely trying to imitate whatever happens to be popular at the time.

Raiders90

DeepSixFix said:
This won't be a one-off, that was done with KOTCS. This will be to reinvigorate and extend the Indiana Jones franchise into the 2020s to legions of new fans.

IJ is based on classic adventure stories, it's not about an 80-year old Indiana Jones stumbling through Vietnam in the 1960s. It's not the archetype, it won't make much sense. Disney has grander plans.

The template for success in this business is world-building and creating a universe now. That means a new series, origin story, etc. Harrison Ford will be used like he was in The Force Awakens, bringing his star power to help launch this new universe (perhaps setting it up as a frame or story-within-a story) to build out this world returning to the 1920s and 30s where a character like Indiana Jones belongs.

Basically, Indiana Jones in name only; 100% pure franchise rape.

Drones33

Indy 5!
I must admit my first reaction was to be cautiously optimistic; I was very excited for Crystal Skull, but then a bit disappointed when I first saw it, ( I must point out that my issues with KOCS have nothing to do with Ford, his age or his performance, my issues with it lie elsewhere. But it's grown on me since then. It has its place and I'm very fond of it,) I was completely stoked for Force Awakens, then felt...and still feel...let down by it for reasons I won't go into here. I do think though that Harrison was without doubt the best thing in TFA and it proved for me that he is still leading-man material. But then I felt that when I saw Age Of Adeline.
However, he will be in his mid 70's so I must admit to a twinge of concern and I promised myself I'd remain cautiously optimistic....
But that was yesterday. I've woken up this morning, read just some of the excited and enthusiastic posts on this forum and I find myself utterly and unreservedly swept along with that excitement and enthusiasm. Yup, it's gonna be a long 3 years. But if the build up to TFA was anything to go by, it'll be 3 years of re-invigorated interest in all things Indy, 3 years of anticipation and speculation among the fans, the drip feed of titbits of information around the production, the first production stills, the first teaser, the first trailer, the undoubtedly huge amount of merchandise ( as a collector I'm looking forward to that massively!) and of course the release of the film itself. It should also lead to a whole new generation of fans. How great is that. I have a six year old nephew, loves Star Wars, but he's never seen an Indy film, (his mum feels he's too young,) so by the time Indy 5 is in cinemas he'll be the age I was when Raiders was released. Imagine how great that'll be for him; to see Indy for the first time then to go back and discover Raiders, Temple and Crusade, and even Crystal Skull.
So yes, it will be a long 3 years of build up, speculation and excitement. And we, as fans, should enjoy every moment of it.:hat:

Crack that whip

Another one checking in!

Wow. Wow.

I'm excited. So excited. But this is also quite bittersweet, with original creator Lucas seemingly not involved at all. I know not everyone feels the same way, but I do want to see him back.

Udvarnoky said:
Far more crucial hopes:

1) No David Koepp
2) Janusz Kaminski misplacing his diffusion filters

This, though.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, what can I say was drawn here and why not. I do hope they go with Tree of Life. I also hope Kasdan will be on board which actually could be possible after his involvement with TFA. Though if it is to be flashback me being me- give me the Lost Horizon story we never got damn it (or in a future film).

I do agree Disney wouldn't invest in this unless they are able to build a new world or franchise reboot out of it. Indy does have that kind of potential but to me that lies in the 20s and 30s where the Young Indy series left off.

Sea Monarch

Yes!! Yes!!! Yes!!!!!

Heard the news, yesterday evening from a friend, and it made my decade!

Been meaning to stop in by the Raven for a while, but been occupied lately. Missed you guys, and this place! Figured the news was reported here asap, but thought I'd stop by The Raven last night just in case. Had to share in celebrating the great news and hear thoughts.
Too many thoughts and things said that I wanna respond to, etc, but had some tech issues earlier and I'm tired now. Gonna return tomorrow to give my .02. Meant to post about this earlier, but I see Henry W Jones beat me to the punch. Glad I'm not the only one, looking forward to this aspect of another Indy movie:

Henry W Jones said:
Disney is going to merchandise the hell out of this. Maybe, we will get some of the figures never made by Hasbro in 2008.

My thoughts exactly! Bring on Hasbro Raiders Wave 3, and Wave 2 of the other films. Better yet, playsets And vehicles! Yet, this is obviously, only one aspect (and not even the most important one) of many as to why I'm stoked!

Last edited:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Let's just hope this one, if it gets made, would follow Spielberg's Indy tradition and be an apology the same way Crusade was for Temple. No matter how good Temple was.

Status
Not open for further replies.