Villains of Indy 5

What kind of villains do you want to see?

• Cold War spies

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • pirates

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • bounty hunters

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Post-war nazis

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Somone else

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

Raiders Remake

I'd go for the Soviets themselves (maybe spies, I have to think about that one.) only because I believe we've kind of worn the Nazis out too much.
EDIT: Of course, one could use the Nazis for a prequel if wanted, but I believe this might be Indy's last hurrah.

Z dweller

If the movie is set in the 60s, I'd like to see Indy confront a shady organization, vying for world domination by exploiting the power of the macguffin du jour.

Some kind of sect or cult would also work for me, but a shady organization a la Bond would probably be more appropriate for the era.

Randy_Flagg

Aliens. Specifically, the aliens from the ending of KOTCS return to earth with an alien army, hellbent on obliterating humans. I think most Indy fans would really like that.

Seriously, though, I want something a bit different. Not another political enemy. We've had Nazis twice, we had Russians... so prefer something more like what we had in TOD, an ancient cult. Something based on an actual history, but portrayed in the classic pulp comic style of an Indy film (much like how the Thuggee were.)

A rival archaeologist could factor into it, too.

And, and no more family stuff. I don't want Indy's long-lost evil twin (played by Harrison Ford with a sinister mustache) coming out of the woodwork.

Dr.Sartorius

Randy_Flagg said:
Aliens. Specifically, the aliens from the ending of KOTCS return to earth with an alien army, hellbent on obliterating humans. I think most Indy fans would really like that.

Seriously, though, I want something a bit different. Not another political enemy. We've had Nazis twice, we had Russians... so prefer something more like what we had in TOD, an ancient cult. Something based on an actual history, but portrayed in the classic pulp comic style of an Indy film (much like how the Thuggee were.)

A rival archaeologist could factor into it, too.

And, and no more family stuff. I don't want Indy's long-lost evil twin (played by Harrison Ford with a sinister mustache) coming out of the woodwork.

Something like the villains in Tomb Raider 2013?

Randy_Flagg

Dr.Sartorius said:
Something like the villains in Tomb Raider 2013?

Possibly, yeah. But I can't recall if they were based on anything real, or purely fiction. I'd prefer something rooted in reality.

indy4242

I think the villain should return to more of a Belloq/Walter Donovan vibe, simply working with the big army of henchmen to achieve his/her own ends. That's one big reason that Spalko didn't work as well as she could've -- not really interesting enough on her own.

That being said, post-war Nazis has my vote. I can definitely imagine an Indiana Jones movie with a similar plot to "The Boys from Brazil".

dr.jones1986

Its set during the cold war so I thinks the communists would be the best choice. It could be the Soviets again or a different regime depending on the setting of the film.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'd like to see them try to Soviet angle again and they should do it differently this time. I would take a little inspiration from City of the Gods script myself as I quite like the baddies in that one. Otherwise a secret society might be an idea too

Indyfan82

The answer for this thread is largely dependent on when and where the movie is set. I'm guessing it will have to be set in the '60s most likely- and that does help determine what villains would make sense historically for Indiana Jones to take on. I would be okay with Soviets again, as that makes sense historically. Nazis have been done twice already and I don't see that it makes as much sense for Indy to be fighting them again... it seems like it would be too contrived. And I don't want to see the movie too contrived just for nostalgia's sake. (That doesn't mean there can't be references back to previous movies or the TV series....but they should be subtle. Standard features of every Indy movie should be there in some form though- a scene with Indy frantically grabbing his hat or whip before losing it, creepy crawly scene, a reference to his fear of snakes, etc.)
I like the idea of an evil organization of some sort- one tied in to the MacGuffin and seeking world domination, as someone else mentioned. (So a Cobra-like group- and Indy can have help from G.I. Joe.;) [Okay- not really, but something like some of the groups James Bond has taken on would work... Indy's fought spies before in "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles"- and with the '60s being the era of spy shows and movies, that would seem fitting for this movie. Especially since the original James Bond [Sean Connery] is Indy's dad!:) :cool: ]

Raiders90

Any of the following:

Chinese Communists
Murderous N. Vietnamese Renegade General
Gangsters
Neo-Nazi Cult (Worships Hitler)
Spanish Fascists (Franco was alive until 1975)

Perhaps some combination thereof. Like, an insane Vietnamese renegade who is working with an (American) Gangster to get an artifact that will help him overrun Vietnam. Meanwhile, a neo-Nazi cult leader is also hot on the trail of this artifact. Ngo (main baddy), Russo (Gangster sub-baddy working as strongman for Ngo) and Schultz (neo-Nazi cultist bad guy). Just as there were three baddies in Raiders and LC.

As a callback to Raiders, the government enlists Indy one last time to be their man.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Chinese communists were the last Mummy movie. Would have to be done differently to that (yes I realise the military in that film were more for the Emperor but were under the guise of Chinese Communist military).

TheFedora

I would like it if the enemy were someone that Indy knew, aka Belloq. In Raiders it made it more personal since he had a long standing rivalry with him.

In this I see a few others have already said 'rival archaeologist'. But what if...Indy has had a long career as an academic. Surely generations of people were trained by him in their classes. What if a new villain was a former student of his? Someone who had heard rumors about their former professor, and was inspired by him. But instead leaned more towards the mercenary aspect of Indy.

As in, they are only out for the artifact or whatever for fame or glory.

DirkPitt

TheFedora said:
Surely generations of people were trained by him in their classes. What if a new villain was a former student of his? Someone who had heard rumors about their former professor, and was inspired by him. But instead leaned more towards the mercenary aspect of Indy.

As in, they are only out for the artifact or whatever for fame or glory.

It could be one of the students, whose Indy left in his office in Last Crusade.

Former student: You were my teacher!
Indy: Uh... Huh?
Former student: You left and I was waiting... An then I failed my archeology course!
Indy: But I...
Former student: Then I was but a learner. Now I am the professor. DIE!
Indy: I have a grade for you now. F!
[Indy shoots him]

To be more serious:
I've never though of that, but that is really nice idea.