Supporting Cast - Hopes and Speculation

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So, anyone taking odds on Mark Rylance showing up in this thing?

(This thread can be a place for general conversation about character types and casting possibilities that have potential, creatively or otherwise, as inclusions in the coming film.)

I want HIM as the villain!!!

Kurt_Russell.jpg

TheFedora

I would love it if we had a younger villain set this time. Maybe late twenties/ early thirties.... also no commies this time. Maybe the villains could be a an organized gang that wants to exploit a macguffin?

Henry Jones VII

It would interesting to see Timothy Dalton in this franchise for sure,he was tremendous on Penny Dreadful. He could play some sort of british archeology figure,an old friend of Doctor Jones.

penny-dreadful-timothy-dalton-season-2-showtime.jpg

Walecs

Henry Jones VII said:
It would interesting to see Timothy Dalton in this franchise for sure,he was tremendous on Penny Dreadful. He could play some sort of british archeology figure,an old friend of Doctor Jones.

I second this.

Kai Hagen

One or all of these singers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R6RD6mjiIZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iEejfq1KhkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lPYwcTDVRAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VBmCJEehYtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Udvarnoky

Attila the Professor said:
So, anyone taking odds on Mark Rylance showing up in this thing?

The odds seem good. And I've got no beef with it - he'd be terrific as an ally or a baddie.

Duaner

Possible villains - Benedict Cumberbatch or Michael Fassbender

Possible sidekick for Indy - Oscar Isaac, Simon Pegg, or Tom Hardy

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr.Sartorius said:
I hope we get a cast with some diversity. The last two movies have been whiter than Gods of Egypt.

That'd be nice. You have to assume they'll be setting it <I>someplace</I> that isn't predominantly white, after, as you indicate, the American and European installments most recently released.

Dr.Sartorius

That'd be nice. You have to assume they'll be setting it <I>someplace</I> that isn't predominantly white, after, as you indicate, the American and European installments most recently released.

It doesn't matter where it takes place. I'm talking about sidekicks, villains, etc. They've all been played by white actors since LC.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr.Sartorius said:
It doesn't matter where it takes place. I'm talking about sidekicks, villains, etc. They've all been played by white actors since LC.

It matters a bit. I'd hate to see an adventure set in, say, sub-Saharan Africa, without any black actors in major roles.

I'll put forth my opposition to Dalton now; he's a great actor, but they've done their Bond casting already, and I don't see any reason for more of it.

As for Isaac, Hardy, Cumberbatch, and Fassbender, they strike me as being perhaps too much wattage for a supporting role. Blanchett and Connery are the exceptions to the rule here. As for Simon Pegg, he's already in both of Abrams's <I>Star...</I> series, plus <I>Mission Impossible</I>. Be nice to get some fresh blood in here that hasn't already played a role in some gigantic Hollywood project, and retain a little bit of dustiness around the enterprise.

Finn

Staff member
Dr.Sartorius said:
Yet the entire movie series, while having plenty of fake nationalities, holds only one case of fake race. Namely, Sallah.

Duaner

Be nice to get some fresh blood in here that hasn't already played a role in some gigantic Hollywood project

In these days when we get 4 or 5 superhero movies a year plus countless other sequels, prequels, and reboots of major franchises, it makes it more difficult to find actors/actresses who haven't had a part in one or more of them.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Duaner said:
In these days when we get 4 or 5 superhero movies a year plus countless other sequels, prequels, and reboots of major franchises, it makes it more difficult to find actors/actresses who haven't had a part in one or more of them.

It's difficult only if that's all you're looking at.

But my secondary point is that all of those guys you mentioned, triple-series Pegg aside, are leads. They're serious actors, but they're very familiar faces, which is not this series's MO.

Television. Indies. Non-American film. Theater. I think those avenues offer a lot more potential. They're also, not incidentally, where a number of the folks you mentioned achieved their good names.

<I>Star Wars</I> has always been cast differently than Indiana Jones, with a lot more interest in recognizable actors; <I>Raiders</I> didn't have anyone like Alec Guinness or Peter Cushing in it. It's biggest name actor, after Ford, is someone who became famous later, Alfred Molina. (Amrish Puri, for what it's worth, also

Connery was a piece of stunt casting, but it worked, and it was appropriate in that case if it was ever going to be so; this astounding guy in the hat had to come from <I>someone</i> of similar stature.

We saw some shift in Crystal Skull, with Shia Labeouf looking like someone who was going to have a big career. (He still might: he's not retired, he's just not anchoring megaplex product anymore.) Broadbent and Winstone have led projects, but they're basically character actors. Blanchett's a trickier case: she's of star stature, generally playing lead roles, but without a star persona; she's a character actress, one who often disappears into roles, as with her Kate Hepburn. She wasn't playing a version of herself or her usual film persona (if she has one) as Spalko, and whatever weight the character has isn't dependent on it being Cate Blanchett (as is, I think, what we might initially expect with Connery).

To choose two handy examples, I think we might look more at <I>Star Wars</I>, and <I>The Force Awakens</I> in particular, as a model, over the Chris Nolan, 1960s epic strategy of filling every role with a big name.

<I>The Force Awakens</I> has:
3 returning cast members with faces, one of whom is a star, the other two of whom have established comfortable niches for themselves.
2 relative unknowns in the lead roles, one with few credits of note and the other with a performance in a small European action film with a flashy concept.
3 recently established buzzy actors, one who'd recently played lead in some well-reviewed films, one a deserving Oscar winner who built her career in Kenyan tv (and doesn't show her face in the film), and one who's mostly known for his supporting role on a buzzy tv series.
Christie is known for an astonishingly popular fantasy tv series; Serkis is doing his traditional mo-cap thing. Domnhall Gleeson has lots of strong supporting credits, but as a non-Potter viewer, his face wasn't recognizable to me.

Get one of the leads of <I>The Americans</I>, Keri Russell or Matthew Rhys. Get someone like Riz Ahmed, who was so good in <I>Nightcrawler</I>, and has now moved onto <I>Rogue One</I> and the next Bourne movie. Have Timothy Spall be some dusty old bookseller in a declining imperial outpost. Get someone most of us have never heard of but has been doing stellar work in Nigeria or Thailand or South Korea or Turkey or India, somewhere with a thriving national cinema. Feel free to cast from more familiar cinemas like France, Spain, Japan, etc.

The villain of every Indy film so far has been played by someone born either in the United Kingdom (Freeman and Glover), in part of the British Empire (Puri), or in a nation with a shared monarch and not-yet-full sovereignty (Blanchett). Maybe that streak can be broken, at least?

TheFedora

IndyForever said:
Christoph Walz would be perfect! Please no Jim Broadbent though he was so weak in KOTCS.

I agree, I loved him in Inglorious Basterds, he stole every scene. Also the good part of Spectre.

Dr.Sartorius

Finn said:
Yet the entire movie series, while having plenty of fake nationalities, holds only one case of fake race. Namely, Sallah.

True. I would just like to see more characters like Captain Katanga pop up - but in more prominent roles.

I'd like to see Idris Elba in an Indy movie.

IndyForever

TheFedora said:
I agree, I loved him in Inglorious Basterds, he stole every scene. Also the good part of Spectre.
Oh yeah he is good could play Indy's best friend then turn like Donovan did in TLC but as its Indy we usually know the villain early on so perhaps the pre title sequence will reveal he is not actually Indy's friend but mortal enemy or keen rival for whatever the artifact is!!