Supporting Cast - Hopes and Speculation

Duaner

Attila the Professor said:
It's difficult only if that's all you're looking at.

But my secondary point is that all of those guys you mentioned, triple-series Pegg aside, are leads. They're serious actors, but they're very familiar faces, which is not this series's MO.

Television. Indies. Non-American film. Theater. I think those avenues offer a lot more potential. They're also, not incidentally, where a number of the folks you mentioned achieved their good names.

I don't disagree. Like you said though KOTCS kind of approached the casting differently. Everyone in the cast was a recognizable face. If that is the same approach we are taking for Indy 5, I would prefer that they fill the roles with guys that can actually act - like my suggestions. I don't quite consider any of them leads, except for Tom Hardy. I forgot about Mad Max when I suggested him (probably because I am in the minority of people who thought that movie was pure garbage) - but remembering that, I withdraw his name from the suggestions. Oscar Isaac is only a leading man in small films and is just now taking on the supporting roles in big franchises (barely recognizable in X-Men: Apocalypse I will add). Cumberbatch and Fassbender don't really carry movies on their own either, but yes they have become very recognizable. I suggest them though because they can really pull off the villain thing convincingly. Simon Pegg is suggested because he sort of gives off that Marcus Brody-type vibe. By the way, even though he was in The Force Awakens, if they had not told anyone it was him, no one would have known.

Either way, I agree that you don't want an A-list star-studded cast, but a recognizable face here and there mixed with some unknowns/newcomers is not a bad thing.

TheFedora

Also given that a new Indy film would likely be in the 70's or 80's, it would also be interesting to see if Indy facing off against group of younger people. Say 20-30ish who are part of an international looting gang or something.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Duaner said:
I don't disagree. Like you said though KOTCS kind of approached the casting differently. Everyone in the cast was a recognizable face. If that is the same approach we are taking for Indy 5, I would prefer that they fill the roles with guys that can actually act - like my suggestions.

There are degrees of recognizability, I think; a gap between "hey, it's that guy!" and "hey, it's [insert star's name here]." I knew who Winstone, Broadbent, and Hurt* were, but I don't think I'd seen either of them in anything in '08. Allen's far from recognizable in the 21st century. And Igor Jijikine is largely unknown still.

* Took me looking at IMDB to even remember John Hurt was in this thing. And I'd seen <I>The Elephant Man</I>, but didn't recognize him from that, naturally.

Besides, I'm not advocating a whole bunch of unknowns. Just people who are less known, and who aren't headlining films.

Duaner said:
I don't quite consider any of them leads, except for Tom Hardy. I forgot about Mad Max when I suggested him (probably because I am in the minority of people who thought that movie was pure garbage) - but remembering that, I withdraw his name from the suggestions. Oscar Isaac is only a leading man in small films and is just now taking on the supporting roles in big franchises (barely recognizable in X-Men: Apocalypse I will add). Cumberbatch and Fassbender don't really carry movies on their own either, but yes they have become very recognizable. I suggest them though because they can really pull off the villain thing convincingly. Simon Pegg is suggested because he sort of gives off that Marcus Brody-type vibe. By the way, even though he was in The Force Awakens, if they had not told anyone it was him, no one would have known.

Cumberbatch has starred as Doctor Strange, Alan Turing, and Sherlock Holmes in major projects. Hardy was the lead in <I>Locke</I> and <I>Bronson</I> and had major supporting roles in 2 huge Chris Nolan projects in which everyone listed on the top of the poster is a star; plus <I>Mad Max</I>. Fassbender is launching his own possible series in December's <I>Assassin's Creed</I>, was the lead in <I>Shame</I> and <I>Hunger</I>, played Steve Jobs in a major motion picture, and has major roles in the <I>Alien</I> and <I>X-Men</I> series. And Oscar Isaac, who is, I concede, the most borderline case, still has his young Pacino routine in <I>A Most Violent Year</I>, his Harrison Ford replacement bit in <I>The Force Awakens</I>, and the lead in a big Coen Bros. picture, plus his big antagonist part in the significant gif producer <I>Ex Machina</I>. Heck, even Pegg has starred in arguably the best action comedies of this century.

Duaner said:
Either way, I agree that you don't want an A-list star-studded cast, but a recognizable face here and there mixed with some unknowns/newcomers is not a bad thing.

And we're pretty close on this point. Those you've mentioned just seem like easy picks off of the tree to me.

Duaner

Besides, I'm not advocating a whole bunch of unknowns. Just people who are less known, and who aren't headlining films.

You just have to act fast on some of them. It seems that every time some relative unknown puts forth good work on television or some small independent film, they get snatched up for one of the countless Marvel franchises.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Duaner said:
You just have to act fast on some of them. It seems that every time some relative unknown puts forth good work on television or some small independent film, they get snatched up for one of the countless Marvel franchises.

A good number of them do, to be sure. All the more reason to explore possibilities other than white Anglophone men, though.

Raiders90

Indy, on film at least, has never found his way The Dark Continent. A real pulpy, dark yarn with H. Rider Haggard touches (but without the 19th century racism) set in Africa would not only be an opportunity for a more diverse and organic cast (rather than just casting minorities for the sake of pandering), but could open up some interesting story ideas. Give it a pulp meets older John Wayne feel. Dark. Gritty. Cast Idris Elba as a local ally of Indy ala Sallah, make the antagonist a British Colonialist type.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Indy, on film at least, has never found his way The Dark Continent.

What Continent is Cairo on?

374-03d31dfb.jpg

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
What Continent is Cairo on?

Yeah, but in the imagined geography that Indiana Jones lives in, the casbah-inflected "Cairo" of Raiders and a sub-Saharan "Dark Continent" have little in common. Even in <I>our</I> geography, Alexandretta is twice as close to Cairo as, say, Khartoum, which is still in the Sahara and still on (one of the branches of) the Nile.

Apart from my moratorium on putting more James Bonds into the Indy films, I would say that Idris Elba seems like rather too big a star for such a part, but his talents would be welcome, as would those of any number of other first-or-second generation African actors currently breaking through, like those mentioned here or the magazine-covering Lupita Nyong'o and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yeah, but in the imagined geography that Indiana Jones lives in, the casbah-inflected "Cairo" of Raiders and a sub-Saharan "Dark Continent" have little in common..

Understood. I just being semantic.

Duaner

Going along with the idea of an African actor being cast in a supporting role, I will suggest Barkhad Abdi who was amazing as the Somali pirate leader in the film Captain Phillips - nominated for an Oscar in fact. In the three years since, he has not really had any huge roles other than a guest gig on Hawaii Five-O and a supporting role in a film that only had a limited U.S. release.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Duaner said:
Going along with the idea of an African actor being cast in a supporting role, I will suggest Barkhad Abdi who was amazing as the Somali pirate leader in the film Captain Phillips - nominated for an Oscar in fact. In the three years since, he has not really had any huge roles other than a guest gig on Hawaii Five-O and a supporting role in a film that only had a limited U.S. release.

Maybe Ford will pass his name along; he's just been cast in the <I>Blade Runner</I> sequel.

Kai Hagen

How about having Elsa return? Maybe she drank the last drop when no one else was watching? Or the cup fell to her after the tremors, and fortunately the cup was wet enough for her.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/McWHzCOMNs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qYedBLAPd5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It would be interesting what Marion would think of her.

Paul Pauley

For Hollywood, Africa south of Egypt and its history does not exist.

I recently talked to an Egyptian friend who more than a little amused at claims that westerners wearing Ancient Egyptian clothes and accessories is "cultural appropriation" when Egypt's tourist industry *depends* on it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JollyGreenSlugg said:
For Hollywood, Africa south of Egypt and its history does not exist.

Largely true, especially re: the history piece. But for maybe the first time in Hollywood, there's a range of buzzy first- or second-generation African actors available to cast in stories about Africa. It's not inconceivable. It's more possible now than it was at the time of the earlier films.

Kai Hagen

Certain Asian countries don't appear much in Hollywood either. (When considering Harrison Ford's age, it would be suitable to have the movie start during the '70s. And there could be flashbacks of the times when Indy was younger). For the '70s, there's an Asian location that would make an interesting plot. Inside the DMZ in between the two Koreas (in Cheorwon) contains the ruins of the capital city of an old Korean kindom. I'm not making this up. There could be an artifact hidden in there. During the '70s, there were more border raids and ambushes done by the North Koreans than during the present decade.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ylG-75QLXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ug7XTRPH3Pw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AWBpeNLlYaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LqNYwjFxU0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: