Supporting Cast - Hopes and Speculation

indytim

If there's a role for a young actress (young Marion perhaps?) I'd like to see Margaret Qualley considered. I think she's a talent to watch and has a classic 'vintage' look about her that would suit the Indy ambience.

margaret-qualley-10.jpg
e0aa7399cfea0a47ec210b27821fbb38.jpg

DirkPitt

I would like to see Sallah once again. He was great in Raiders and Crusade. From what I know, John Rhys-Davies would be happy to return, although I read somewhere, that he rejected cameo in Skull.

Interaction between Willie and Marion would be great to see especially as Indy is married to the latter.

What about Short Round? As an adult he could be the similar adventurer as Indy and they could go for an adventure together.

Marcus Brody won't be back, but Charles Stanforth could return...

I definitely don't want the deaths of Marion and Mutt. If they won't have anything to do in the script - just send them to other side of the country.

I know it won't happen, but it would be great, if they would bring back Henry Jones Sr. They killed him off in Skull, but let's just say, that he was missing and presumed dead or something like this.

On a side note - imagine the following scene:
Action takes place in the 60s and Indy sees the poster for one of the James Bond movies. He stops for a while, scratches his head and mumbles to himself "This guy looks just like my father..."

Udvarnoky

DirkPitt said:
I would like to see Sallah once again. He was great in Raiders and Crusade. From what I know, John Rhys-Davies would be happy to return, although I read somewhere, that he rejected cameo in Skull.

It seemed like in every interview Rhys-Davies gave between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull he expressed interest in returning for the fourth film, which gives you an idea of just how lame he considered the cameo offered him to be. Apparently they would have just green-screened him applauding at the wedding. Give Sallah something to do, and I'll bet he'd jump at the chance.

moon_tan

I agree. They should bring back John Rhys-Davies and Jonathan Ke Quan and not just a cameo appearance. Let them be apart of the action again.

seasider

As much I love Sallah and Short Round, I don't see the point in bringing these characters back unless they were an integral part of the plot. We've seen what happens in the previous films when they try to bring favorite characters back. It just doesn't work as well.

Sallah returned for Last Crusade but in that movie he was basically a goofy caricature of himself arguing with Indy about camels and compensation. However, on a side note I think it would be funny if they have a scene where we actually get to meet his brother-in-law and he's played by Danny DeVito. DeVito as you know was originally considered for the Sallah character.

But I would rather see Indy be on a a new adventure with new sidekicks that we haven't met yet. I mean the guy has been on adventures for half a century, Sallah, Shortround and Mac can't be the only friends he has in the business.

TheFedora

Yeah they should have a new sort of character for this...maybe play upon Indy's role as a professor. Have a graduate student come along with him for the adventure. Sort of he sees that they have a thesis that the rest of the school board laughs at, but Indy is the only one willing to sponsor their dig or whatever.

Kai Hagen

Have Choi Min-sik as a villain, probably a North Korean lieutenant:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VwIIDzrVVdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iyVZMJLqtp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come to think of it, would North Korea be ok about it as long as the North Korean leader doesn't appear in it? Sony hacking...

Last edited:

Forbidden Eye

Surprised Jon Hamm hasn't been mentioned yet. Assuming this is an Indy 5 with Harrison were talking about and not a reboot, he fits perfectly in a 1960s setting, and would work either as a villain or acquaintance of Indy(or maybe both like Mac).

And while the franchise has already stressed out African deserts, if the film does return to that region there should be no reason Sallah doesn't return. It would be an obvious but perfect way to tie in to the original trilogy, and it would be great to see John Rhys-Davis again, who is alive and active as ever.

Maybe they can offer a role to Danny DeVito, Spielberg's original choice for Sallah!

IndyBuff

moon_tan said:
I agree. They should bring back John Rhys-Davies and Jonathan Ke Quan and not just a cameo appearance. Let them be apart of the action again.

I'd love to see Sallah come back and Short Round could be interesting as an adult. It might be fun to see him pit his archaeology skills against Indy's and watch how their dynamic has changed over the years.

TheFedora

Forbidden Eye said:
Surprised Jon Hamm hasn't been mentioned yet. Assuming this is an Indy 5 with Harrison were talking about and not a reboot, he fits perfectly in a 1960s setting, and would work either as a villain or acquaintance of Indy(or maybe both like Mac).

And while the franchise has already stressed out African deserts, if the film does return to that region there should be no reason Sallah doesn't return. It would be an obvious but perfect way to tie in to the original trilogy, and it would be great to see John Rhys-Davis again, who is alive and active as ever.

Maybe they can offer a role to Danny DeVito, Spielberg's original choice for Sallah!

Maybe instead of like a super villain scheme, it can be more practical focused. And a villain/acquaintance could be better done maybe a fellow archaeologist who turns to the illegal antiquities trade? I was thinking like a long con sort of plot where he only helps out indy so far as he knows where the item is. And yeah Hamm would be good for a role like that.

Kai Hagen

Michael Des Barres as the villain boss:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CzYqmljrDb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Murdoc was the best villain in the MacGyver series.

JasonMa

Murdoc was really the only recurring villain in MacGyver, but he was great.

IIRC that clip was Murdoc's second appearance after being "blown up" in the semi the first time around

Kai Hagen

Have someone like her as Indy's new sidekick:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tDA3u_h2POA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nosirrah

Attila the Professor said:
Cumberbatch has starred as Doctor Strange, Alan Turing, and Sherlock Holmes in major projects.

Alan Turing collaborates with Indy in defeating the Nazis! Probably too late for this in the movies, but a possible vein for fan fiction (if not done already, as it seems a bit obvious). A possible twist is provided by the Enquirer:
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2169218/gchq-releases-alan-turings-wartime-research-papers

Turing's papers are very important and contain some of his theories on code breaking. Locked away for some 70 years, they are the sort of thing that Indiana Jones might pursue in his retirement.
There you have it: Turing appears in flashbacks with a younger Indy, having died in 1954 under unresolved circumstances. And Ford can shoot his segments in an atmospheric archive room, reminiscent of MOTB. With dialogs between old Indy and the apparition, Obi-Wan-like, of Turing: "use the cipher, Indy! BE the cipher!"
My MacGuffin nomination for IJ6: an "unbreakable" code leading to a still-hidden hoard of Nazi treasure, in "Indiana Jones: Beyond Enigma."

Forbidden Eye

A little off-topic, but one thing that came through my mind watching Jumanji was, if they ever made Fate Of Atlantis into a movie, Karen Gillan would make a good Sophia Hapgood!

3B0F79E200000578-0-image-a-96_1480943940064.jpg

sophia_hapgood_by_raichiyo33-d83jhcd.jpg

TheFedora

Forbidden Eye said:
A little off-topic, but one thing that came through my mind watching Jumanji was, if they ever made Fate Of Atlantis into a movie, Karen Gillan would make a good Sophia Hapgood!

3B0F79E200000578-0-image-a-96_1480943940064.jpg

sophia_hapgood_by_raichiyo33-d83jhcd.jpg

Yeah, I think Karen would be good in an Indy film, Guardians and Jumanji proved she can pull off the action heavy lifting. And I did get an Indy vibe from the scene in Jumanji when she was walking through the market.