Indy 5 news 2017

Z dweller

DirkPitt said:
Indy V will probably be less depended on action scenes (or the fights will be done younger side-kick or even younger version of Indy).
I am hoping for flashback scenes with a younger actor playing Indy in the 1920s or early 30s (the Godfather II approach).

But I fear Disney will go with the young sidekick solution, which I would absolutely hate, just like I hated the Mutt jungle scenes in KOTCS.
For me, that would hardly feel like an Indiana Jones movie at all.

DirkPitt

Z dweller said:
I am hoping for flashback scenes with a younger actor playing Indy in the 1920s or early 30s (the Godfather II approach).

I think, that this is the most likely option.

Z dweller said:
But I fear Disney will go with the young sidekick solution, which I would absolutely hate, just like I hated the Mutt jungle scenes in KOTCS.
For me, that would hardly feel like an Indiana Jones movie at all.

I don't hate Mutt, but I don't like the fact, that Indy was supporting character in the jungle.

And, if the young sidekick will appear, I fear, that the scenario from jungle sequence will happen again.

Anyway, I just can't wait to feel the excitement again, when first info of the fifth installment will be given. Or when they will show the first photo. I will always remember the day, when Spielberg gave us this image from the set of Skull on which Ford, in iconic Indy's costume, was sitting on the chair...
Or the Valentine's Day back in 2008, when the first trailer was show in the Internet...

Z dweller

DirkPitt said:
I think, that this is the most likely option.
We'll only find out when they start making casting announcements.

It's a long, looong wait. Meanwhile...

200.gif

:p

TheFedora

Z dweller said:
We'll only find out when they start making casting announcements.

It's a long, looong wait. Meanwhile...

200.gif

:p
Yeah I would say most likely not until midway through next year.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Do you believe this old man is a man of action?

TbyVyx0.gif

This is the same surprise my grandpa makes when he remembers my name.

Thing is, that's Harrison Ford without the wonders of makeup and what have you. He looked a lot better in KOTCS than he did in real life circa 2007. Movie magic can do a lot to clean up a craggy old face. My only wish is that he'd let his hair be dyed for KOTCS. He would've looked ten years younger then. Also remember...Suspension of disbelief. In universe Indy will probably be no older than his 60s.

Since you mention grandfathers, when my grandpa was as old as 68 he was still up logging trees, no restraints, and still at 87 carries wood for his fireplace home himself. My grandmother stopped working at 85, and her job was taking care of a lady she called "old" which included cleaning and washing the woman - a woman a mere few years older than her she thought of as "old". Look at our elected President - he's 70 but he doesn't come off as an "old man". Or look at Reagan throughout his 8 years in office - in his 70s but he came off much younger. Or Eisenhower. I guess that's why I'm not as dubious about the capabilities of an elderly person.

We've already seen Indy survive a nuclear blast at age 58, coming out with nary a scratch. So the wall of suspension of disbelief has already been broken.

Perhaps a similar approach should be taken as was taken to The Shootist. John Wayne was 69 and starred in that.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Probably why they don't have a screenplay yet. It takes time to write an action scene properly for a 75 year old man.

This is what I want too

An action scene involving an older guy can still be exciting. It'd just have to be cleverer. Which would be an interesting thing to see. Rather than brute force at his age, Indy's truly "making it up as he goes". Using more of his gun rather than his fist; using whatever he can in essence. A more clever action sequence that is just as operatic as the original trilogy but where brute force reigned in Raiders and TOD, here is a more clever and careful sequence.

Stoo

Silvor said:
I wouldn't be too surprised if Disney is pretty hands off with the movie and basically let them (Marshall, Spielberg) produce it like they're done all the others.
Don't count on that, Silvor. It's guaranteed that Disney's hands will be in the mix.

Raiders112390 said:
Look at our elected President - he's 70 but he doesn't come off as an "old man". Or look at Reagan throughout his 8 years in office - in his 70s but he came off much younger. Or Eisenhower. I guess that's why I'm not as dubious about the capabilities of an elderly person.
You weren't even alive during the Reagan years. :rolleyes: That guy was an old coot (which was well known at the time because of his previous fame) and he was often mocked as a doddering fool...even with the Brylcreem in his hair.

If you want to champion the physical "capabilities of an elderly person", why compare Indiana Jones to U.S. presidents? It's stupid.

Indyfan82

You weren't even alive during the Reagan years. That guy was an old coot (which was well known at the time because of his previous fame) and he was often mocked as a doddering fool...even with the Brylcreem in his hair.
Just for the record- and you may already be aware of this- but keep in mind that President Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's Disease (which he announced to the world in 1994) and he may have even had it as President. If so, it's amazing how well he functioned as president while working against that disability. (Much like President Franklin D. Roosevelt did while serving with polio.)
In any case, I do agree that it may not be the best comparison for Harrison Ford's physicality in his '70s. Hopefully, he can still fake it and do a good job of it as Indiana Jones- in what should probably be his last movie.

Finn

Staff member
Moderator note

It's a bit pre-emptive, but...
Raiders112390 said:
Look at our elected President - he's 70 but he doesn't come off as an "old man".
This comment could open a huge rabbit hole of off-topic responses. Let's not go there.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Listen. I know about action. Some of my best friends... Look my friends are action friends, they're the best, they know action. The action I bring will be yuge. Bigger than Arnold. It'll be the best action.....

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's Frank Marshall from his Bourne DVD tour. Missing any?
November 28, 2016
Frank Marshall: "I have no information. I don't think we're going to start talking about that one for about a year."

November 30, 2016
Frank Marshall: "That's still in the thinking stages."
Q: Karen Allen to return?
Frank Marshall: "I don't know, because that's one I'm not involved in until they come up with the idea and the plan of where they want to go. Then I get involved."

November 30, 2016
Frank Marshall: "David Koepp is writing the script and it’s very secretive."
Q: Indy in space?
Frank Marshall: (Laughs) "I’ll make sure to talk to David about that. My personal feeling on it is that Harrison Ford is always going to be Indiana Jones."

December 7, 2016
Frank Marshall: "Just the early stages. David Koepp is our screenwriter and we're all talking, but there's really nothing down on paper yet. It's a wonderful team like we had on Bourne. It's nice to have your friends that you've known. Look, I've known Harrison and obviously Steven and the whole group for 30 years now. So it's nice to have everybody back together as kind of a reunion. Listen, I watched [Ford] in Star Wars, and I don't think he's going to have any problem!"
Edit: yeah, plenty more.
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/frank-m...a-jones-5-and-the-bfgs-us-flop-165520117.html
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/05/frank-marshall-talks-jason-bourne-indiana-jones-5-and-more
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-world-2-assassins-creed-bourne-future-953182

Last edited:

curmudgeon

Disney's contract extension with IMAX, announced today, includes the next Indy film. Here's its specific mention in the press release:

Highlights of the agreement include IMAX's involvement in the release of Lucasfilm's untitled Indiana Jones film, untitled Han Solo Star Wars anthology film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: Episode IX; Marvel's Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers sequel; Disney's Beauty and the Beast, A Wrinkle in Time and Mulan; Pixar's The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 and Walt Disney Animation Studios' Wreck-It Ralph sequel.

Here's the full release, from a site that posts such things:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...buster-slate-deal-through-2019-300410944.html

seasider

curmudgeon said:
Disney's contract extension with IMAX, announced today, includes the next Indy film. Here's its specific mention in the press release:

Highlights of the agreement include IMAX's involvement in the release of Lucasfilm's untitled Indiana Jones film, untitled Han Solo Star Wars anthology film, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: Episode IX; Marvel's Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers sequel; Disney's Beauty and the Beast, A Wrinkle in Time and Mulan; Pixar's The Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 and Walt Disney Animation Studios' Wreck-It Ralph sequel.

Here's the full release, from a site that posts such things:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...buster-slate-deal-through-2019-300410944.html

It's unfortunate that Spielberg never wants to experiment with other types of film and cameras like IMAX to shoot his movies. I think an Indiana Jones film could great with an IMAX camera or an Alexa 65 which is what they shot The Revenant with. Although Spielberg in recent years has caved in with digital editing with an Avid so who knows?

Udvarnoky

The BFG was shot with an ARRI ALEXA.

I wouldn't object to Indy going digital. Spielberg shot Indy 4 on film and went to a lot of trouble to ensure that it would look like anything but, so why not save some money this time out?

Udvarnoky

This shouldn't impact Indy. There is a gap in Spielberg's schedule between the production of The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara (filming soon) and Indy 5 in the summer of 2018. If this project really is being fast-tracked as the article states, he could shoot it in the fall of this year and dive into Indy right after. Dude's got a full dance card for sure, but he's had a slate this crowded before.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

It was official in March 2016, which is what that press release is dated.

I think what happened is that yesterday one site mistakenly reposted that as if it was news, and a bunch of other sites picked up on it without doing any due diligence. Reporting in the internet age!