Should we just give up on Harrison?

AndyLGR

Raiders112390 said:
Here's the thing though. I hope Harrison lives a long, healthy life.
But let's talk about Harrison's Indy for a minute.
Does anyone really, really in their hearts want to see an Indiana Jones movie where Harrison Ford's Indy is confined to the role of the Narrator, or confined to short segments with either an assistant or his grandkids where he's basically telling the story the way George Hall did in the Young Indy series? Where his partaking in any action is nil, and he's just an old fogie telling stories of his youth? Is that REALLY the note we want to leave his version of the character on?

I'd rather have no movie, than have Harrison humiliated like that. Do you really want to see Harrison's Indy die of old age on screen? Because let's be honest - we all know Disney will do that.
Same here, no way do I want to see that. For me one of the mistakes of KOTCS was having Indy look on whilst Mutt was doing sme of the action in the jungle chase whilst Indy and Marion mugged to the camera as he was a chip off the old block. Its an Indiana Jones film, he is the character we want to see immersed in the action.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

I think the problem here is Spielberg doesn't want to do it anymore, I wouldn't mind Abrams or Brad Bird either is fine by me!

I would say providing Harrison doesn't kill himself flying Harrison will play the part just fine Action and all! with the Two Star Wars Films, Marvel and Pixar I think Disney is making some awesome movies, no worries here from a Disney stand point, like I said this is all on Spielberg, he doesn't seem to have the passion for this. I bet in less then a year, or about a Year we have a new Director. Star Wars TFA and RO were huge grand slams right out of the park. Disney will do right by this. they are hiring fans to make these films, passion projects for nerds who grew up with the series and always dreamed of making these films! bring on a new Director IMHO!

Silvor

It would be a bit strange if Spielberg didn't want to do it seeing as he was so excited about doing Indy 5 before it was announced. He even brought it up himself in interviews. And Ford has said he wouldn't want to do it without Spielberg.
I mean of course his opinion could have changed, but if he did indeed do a 180 I'm very curious as to why.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Silvor said:
It would be a bit strange if Spielberg didn't want to do it seeing as he was so excited about doing Indy 5 before it was announced. He even brought it up himself in interviews. And Ford has said he wouldn't want to do it without Spielberg.
I mean of course his opinion could have changed, but if he did indeed do a 180 I'm very curious as to why.
then why the delay? Spielberg keeps signing on to film different films and putting Indy on the backburner. This is not on Disney.

Udvarnoky

We don't know for sure that the delayed release date necessarily means the filming has been delayed as well. It's still possible that The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara is what's getting pushed back and he will still film Indy 5 after The Post. That's pretty much what we have to hope at this point.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Udvarnoky said:
We don't know for sure that the delayed release date necessarily means the filming has been delayed as well. It's still possible that The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara is what's getting pushed back and he will still film Indy 5 after The Post. That's pretty much what we have to hope at this point.
Disney Officially announced Indy 5 was being pushed back to 2020 it was originally going to come out in 2019 why would Spielberg Film in 2018 for a film coming out in 2020 That would be unorthodox? as much as I think Ford at 77 can still do this He is contending with health because of his age, what if he has a stroke or heart attack, or gets Alzheimer's, or God forbid dies from natural or unnatural causes? all these things kind of scares me plus he cant seem to land planes anymore that is kind of scary.

Face_Melt

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
Disney Officially announced Indy 5 was being pushed back to 2020 it was originally going to come out in 2019 why would Spielberg Film in 2018 for a film coming out in 2020 That would be unorthodox? as much as I think Ford at 77 can still do this He is contending with health because of his age, what if he has a stroke or heart attack, or gets Alzheimer's, or God forbid dies from natural or unnatural causes? all these things kind of scares me plus he cant seem to land planes anymore that is kind of scary.

Pirates 5 - another live action Disney film, filmed 2 years prior to release. It's normal these days to do that for a blockbuster.

Fords biological father lived until he was 92 - Ford will be fine.

Udvarnoky

While "normal" is an exaggeration, it is the case for both Pirates 5 and Beauty and the Beast, so there is precedent. The reason studios reschedule things isn't always obvious. We'll just have to see.

IndyBuff

Ford still looks pretty good in the new Blade Runner trailer. If they film within the next year I think it could work.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

According to the Indycast podcast they are putting Live Action Lion King In Indy's place. this angers me, I am looking forward to Lion King I loved The Jungle Book but I like Indiana Jones more and I think Indy 5 will make way more money at the box office...

micsteam

Hey guys, remember Ford's flying accident in March 2015 ?? When he checked out of the hospital he drove right to Spielberg's house, they are old friends but he spent the day there and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all talk about flying technique !! I'm with Udvarnoky, we don't know everything that's going on with the studios. I believe Spielberg was contracted to do these movies prior to Indy 5, also this could be a ploy/tactic... you never know but I'm not happy like everyone else !! :hat:

Udvarnoky

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
According to the Indycast podcast they are putting Live Action Lion King In Indy's place. this angers me, I am looking forward to Lion King I loved The Jungle Book but I like Indiana Jones more and I think Indy 5 will make way more money at the box office...

Are we talking about the stunt show in Orlando?

EDIT: Sorry...I should have realized you were talking about the movie schedule and not a theme park attraction.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
micsteam said:
Hey guys, remember Ford's flying accident in March 2015 ?? When he checked out of the hospital he drove right to Spielberg's house, they are old friends but he spent the day there and I'm pretty sure it wasn't all talk about flying technique !! I'm with Udvarnoky, we don't know everything that's going on with the studios. I believe Spielberg was contracted to do these movies prior to Indy 5, also this could be a ploy/tactic... you never know but I'm not happy like everyone else !!

<I>The Post</I> seems to have happened rather quickly; I don't think the prior contractual obligations argument stands up in that case. It's right enough that Ford hanging at Spielberg's is interesting, but possibly not relevant.

Generally speaking, I don't see why are we not assuming that the change of time slot isn't largely owing to Disney's schedulers figuring that the Indiana Jones audience overlaps too much with the Star Wars audience, and a shift in Star Wars scheduling naturally necessitating a shift in Indy scheduling.

As Udvarnoky notes, Disney's been doing a bit of this filming far in advance lately, and considering the <I>Rogue One</I> reshoots, I could see why Lucasfilm specifically might want some extra time for post-production as well.

Udvarnoky said:

EDIT: Sorry...I should have realized you were talking about the movie schedule and not a theme park attraction.

Natural enough; live-action <I>Lion King</I>, where live-action means CGI animals with no people, remains something of a misnomer.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Udvarnoky said:

Yea I meant the movies, Disney Is making Live Action Aladdin movie bet that bumps Indy 5 to 2021 and then it gets canceled or they announce a major reboot with a new Indy Actor?
I think the reason they are calling The Lion King a Live action is they are using motion capture also the Animals will look realistic like In The Jungle Book. Besides Neel Sethi The Jungle Book wasn't really Live action either.
I really hope you guys are right that they start filming Indy 5 in 2018 but if that doesn't happen I have some doubt that this actually gets filmed with Harrison.

Last edited:

dakota

Indy 5 could a flashback movie with Indy writing his memoirs discussing adventures past - would need to identify new actors to play Indy, say three, covering early - mid - later periods of his life.

This way Harrison could still be involved in the movie but without the need for the physical side of things and to be honest, he is past his Indy sell by date now.

Other option would have to be an Indy re-boot with a totally new actor but who knows, nobody wants to see a geriatric Dr Jones I don't think. :eek:

Face_Melt

dakota said:
Indy 5 could a flashback movie with Indy writing his memoirs discussing adventures past - would need to identify new actors to play Indy, say three, covering early - mid - later periods of his life.

This way Harrison could still be involved in the movie but without the need for the physical side of things and to be honest, he is past his Indy sell by date now.

Other option would have to be an Indy re-boot with a totally new actor but who knows, nobody wants to see a geriatric Dr Jones I don't think. :eek:

Except Harrison has been confirmed to do "stunts" in the film. Spielberg and Marshall have both said as much.

IndyBuff

Ford did pretty well physically in KOTCS but that was also 10 years ago. There's a much bigger difference between 65 and 75 than there is between 35 and 45.

Willie Hott

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
His landing in the golf course due to mechanical malfunctions was the work of an impeccable pilot.

Willie Hott

DoomsdayFAN said:
I say they should just go balls to the wall and give it as much action as ToD and with Indy as the guy doing all the action. Spielberg is good enough that he can film around Ford's shortcomings. I say just ignore his age and go for it.
I totally agree. Also, the CGI technology will be so advanced by then, if that Captain America Civil War flashback scene with Robert Downey Jr. as teenager can look so good (2015 CGI technology), imagine what they can do in 2019.

Face_Melt

Willie Hott said:
I totally agree. Also, the CGI technology will be so advanced by then, if that Captain America Civil War flashback scene with Robert Downey Jr. as teenager can look so good (2015 CGI technology), imagine what they can do in 2019.

Even that pales in comparison with what Lucasfilm did with Tarkin. Wow.. amazing. I went to see the film with people who had never seen "A New Hope" and none of them even knew he wasn't "real".