Should we just give up on Harrison?

Face_Melt

Kai Hagen said:
An Indiana Jones movie wouldn't be an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford. At least have him appear in a minor role as an old Indiana Jones.

At the VERY least.

Z dweller

Kai Hagen said:
An Indiana Jones movie wouldn't be an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford.
Like The Dude said...

giphy.gif

Kai Hagen

Z dweller said:
Like The Dude said...

giphy.gif
Harrison Ford played the leading roles in those films. A different person would've gave a different feeling to the movie. From what I've seen, different people playing the leading roles in the remakes made the movies feel very different. A different Indy in a sequel would become a very different sequel.

Z dweller

Kai Hagen said:
Harrison Ford played the leading roles in those films.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. :rolleyes:

A different Indy in a sequel would become a very different sequel.
If we get an Indy 6, it'll be a prequel. And with the right script/actor/director it could be great.
Different, but great all the same.

Kai Hagen

Z dweller said:
Yeah, I'm aware of that. :rolleyes:

If we get an Indy 6, it'll be a prequel. And with the right script/actor/director it could be great.
Different, but great all the same.
It's not just an opinion. It's what I noticed with a lot of the sequels that had different actors on the same role.

How do you know that it would be a prequel? Was there an announcement? I'm not against having a different actor for that one.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Ford was born in 1942, you do the math.

I think he means, how do we know it'd be a prequel rather than a total reboot of the franchise ala Star Trek, replacing or subtly remaking the original films rather than complementing them?

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I think he means, how do we know it'd be a prequel rather than a total reboot of the franchise ala Star Trek, replacing or subtly remaking the original films rather than complementing them?
I really don't think Disney would do that. What would be their target audience?

You seem to be in a betting mood today, would you care to make a little wager, just for fun? ;)

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
I really don't think Disney would do that. What would be their target audience?

You seem to be in a betting mood today, would you care to make a little wager, just for fun? ;)

Okay. 50 bucks says Indy 6 is a soft reboot which, essentially, undoes or undercuts the original saga.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Okay. 50 bucks says Indy 6 is a soft reboot which, essentially, undoes or undercuts the original saga.
You're moving the goalposts.

In your previous posts you mentioned a total reboot, now talk about a soft reboot.
That's a subjective term, which different people would interpret in different ways.

Would you say that TFA was a soft reboot of A new hope?

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
You're moving the goalposts.

In your previous posts you mentioned a total reboot, now talk about a soft reboot.
That's a subjective term, which different people would interpret in different ways.

Would you say that TFA was a soft reboot of A new hope?

There's varying kinds of soft reboots.
For example, there's the Star Trek route. Which sort of preserves old canon but at the same time ignores it and rewrites the original stories (ala Into Darkness being a rewrite of Wrath of Khan)
Then there's the TFA route which yes, preserves canon but remakes it.

I don't think I've ever used the term total reboot.A total reboot to me is a total overhaul and a solid statement that the original continuity is no longer valid/doesn't exist. I don't think Disney would consider a total reboot (like, changing the time period, gender, etc of Indy), but I do think they will do a Trek style soft reboot. Which ignores the original films or rewrites them but doesn't necessarily replace them.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I don't think Disney would consider a total reboot (like, changing the time period, gender, etc of Indy), but I do think they will do a Trek style soft reboot. Which ignores the original films or rewrites them but doesn't necessarily replace them.
Then we are in agreement.

I always said Disney were going to go straight back to the roots of the franchise, just like they did with TFA.

And if done tastefully, that could work very well IMO. We shall see...

IndyBuff

I always felt that Bruce Campbell would have done well in the role. He has the look and the snarky personality to make it all work. He was fantastic in The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. and he's the only actor aside from Ford who I would have liked to see in the role.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Then we are in agreement.

I always said Disney were going to go straight back to the roots of the franchise, just like they did with TFA.

And if done tastefully, that could work very well IMO. We shall see...

I think you can get back to the roots of the franchise without rebooting, personally. TFA didn't feel like a SW film to me. It felt like a modern day Sci-Fi film with SW elements kind of grafted onto it. I don't want Indy to feel like a generic action/adventure/comedy film with a fedora on top of it, and that's what I feel a post-Ford Indy would be like, in all honesty. They don't understand the films or the feel or the influences which made them what they are. And frankly I also don't want to see an SJW Indy movie, either.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
TFA didn't feel like a SW film to me. It felt like a modern day Sci-Fi film with SW elements kind of grafted onto it.
An overwhelming majority of viewers and critics disagrees with you.
I suspect you are letting your own fond memories of better times and emotions past limit your ability to form an objective view.
They don't understand the films or the feel or the influences which made them what they are.
That is a laughable statement.
You can argue that Disney are all about the $$$, like most for profit organizations, but they certainly know their business inside out and do not lack that type of judgement.
And frankly I also don't want to see an SJW Indy movie, either.
That makes two of us.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
An overwhelming majority of viewers and critics disagrees with you.
I suspect you are letting your own fond memories of better times and emotions past limit your ability to form an objective view.

That is a laughable statement.
You can argue that Disney are all about the $$$, like most for profit organizations, but they certainly know their business inside out and do not lack that type of judgement.

That makes two of us.

The vast majority of the world seems to think Avatar is the best film of all time, judging by the receipts too. I enjoyed Rogue One, and out of all the post 1983 SW films, it reminded me of the original films the most and showed me a better way to do a prequel.

I really don't think they get Indy though. They get big dumb action films, but Indy has always had a nuance to it, a certain magic that isn't present in say your M evenarvel type of movies. There is something in Spielberg's direction, or maybe it's Slocombe's color grading, or John Williams' great scores or maybe it's the editing, that gave the original three films a certain feel. That this touch was lost in KOTCS (IMO) with the original creators on board isn't a good sign. That the film is being directed by Spielburg, who failed us with KOTCS and (IMO) hasn't made a good action film since 1993 is an ominous sign. That Indy is now in the hands of a soulless conglomerate run by SJWs is an even worse sign. Forgive me for being skeptical about Disney with (what is partly) a period movie set in politically incorrect times with a white male lead or in Spielburg's ability to recapture his old mojo.

IndyBuff

Lao_Che said:
And what exactly is an "SJW Indy movie"?

Indy will be transgender with a supporting cast of all women, including several gay characters. The villains will all be white men who are destroying the environment. Did I leave anything out?;)

Lao_Che

IndyBuff said:
Indy will be transgender with a supporting cast of all women, including several gay characters. The villains will all be white men who are destroying the environment. Did I leave anything out?;)

Disability. :hat:

I know what SJW stands for, but what, seriously, is an "SJW Indy movie"? What would a non-extreme example of that be?