The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

The Man

Can this apparent turd really topple the mighty Batman from No.1? Even for a weekend..?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37758

'...I was in a lot of pain watching this movie; it assaulted my cinematic sensibility at every turn and wasted some truly gifted performers, especially Yeoh, who has become as good an actor in recent years as she was a fighter and stunt performer in years past. Not a shocker that the movie's no damn good, but my hopes were elevated due to the Hong Kong elements. I've learned my lesson.'

Ouchy!

Gustav

I saw this last night and thought it was better than the second one even though I was expecting it to be horrible since I hate Rob Cohen.

It's a damn shame Rachel Weisz didn't come back because I didn't like Maria Bello in the role.

Crusade>Raiders

Man, a lot of people really hate this movie >_>

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37751

****. Unmitigated, inexcusable ****. I can’t remember the last time I looked around and saw so many critics positively mortified to be watching what they were watching. We were embarrassed to be in that theater. It is a humbling, humiliating experience that will take anyone who *****ed about nuked fridges and swinging monkeys and show them just how much Spielberg and Lucas actually got right. When you see kung fu yetis high five one another and celebrate touchdown kicks, your jaw will drop to the floor. It is not funny. It is not exciting. It is two solid hours of explosive boredom, with a loud driving soundtrack to serve as a constant reminder of how much fun you’re supposed to be having. It’s rather like leaving a party at a club because you think the DJ is kinda lame, only to end up at someone’s Bar Mitzvah. I mean, you just saw this movie three months ago. Only much, MUCH better.

Yay for more KOTCS fans (y)

HovitosKing

Jet Li is one of my favorite martial artist actors, yet his last handful of films have been total crap. War, The One, Cradle 2 the Grave, etc. It wouldn't really surprise me to see that he's signed onto yet another crappy film where his amazing talents have gone to waste (although I'm slamming the film before having even seen it). I don't get to see Mummy 3 until tomorrow, but the reviews and trailers both have me convinced I'll be wasting my money. Too bad.

HovitosKing

Crusade>Raiders said:
I mean, you just saw this movie three months ago. Only much, MUCH better.[/I]

Yay for more KOTCS fans (y)

It's a sad day when people get excited that an Indiana Jones film has been rated as "much better" than Cohen's Mummy film. The two shouldn't even be compared to each other, shouldn't even be in the same league; the latter, after all, is really just a silly, fun, and comedic homage to the former. I get no joy out of hearing that KotCS was deemed superior to Mummy 3. This just shows what murky depths the Indiana Jones franchise has sunk to.

BTW, I think KotCS will be "much better" than Disaster Movie...should we celebrate?

Crusade>Raiders

HovitosKing said:
It's a sad day when people get excited that an Indiana Jones film has been rated as "much better" than Cohen's Mummy film. The two shouldn't even be compared to each other, shouldn't even be in the same league; the latter, after all, is really just a silly, fun, and comedic homage to the former. I get no joy out of hearing that KotCS was deemed superior to Mummy 3. This just shows what murky depths the Indiana Jones franchise has sunk to.

BTW, I think KotCS will be "much better" than Disaster Movie...should we celebrate?

Well its not like I'm throwing a ****ing party for it or some ****, I'm just glad we can have some people actually like the movie.

Crusade>Raiders

Its also better than any of the other adventure movies that have come out since the Last Crusade, but I'm sure you'll spin that into some "Wow, what great company the movie is in, how low has the series fallen LULZ" bullcrap.

HovitosKing

Did I hurt your feelings? :)

I actually think the first Mummy film was way better than KotCS. Hell, I think those TNT Librarian films are better. It's all subjective though, I'm not going to ***** and moan about how your opinions aren't supportive of my own. Maybe you can take the same route.

HovitosKing

Crusade>Raiders said:
Hurt my feelings? I'm not the one calling other users INSANE(in all caps, for emphasis).

Only one other user, and he is. You and he would probably enjoy each other's company very much. Maybe too much.

HellofaSandwich

Crusade>Raiders said:
****. Unmitigated, inexcusable ****. I can?t remember the last time I looked around and saw so many critics positively mortified to be watching what they were watching. We were embarrassed to be in that theater. It is a humbling, humiliating experience that will take anyone who *****ed about nuked fridges and swinging monkeys and show them just how much Spielberg and Lucas actually got right. When you see kung fu yetis high five one another and celebrate touchdown kicks, your jaw will drop to the floor. It is not funny. It is not exciting. It is two solid hours of explosive boredom, with a loud driving soundtrack to serve as a constant reminder of how much fun you?re supposed to be having. It?s rather like leaving a party at a club because you think the DJ is kinda lame, only to end up at someone?s Bar Mitzvah. I mean, you just saw this movie three months ago. Only much, MUCH better.

Sounds like the exact same experience I had while watching "Wanted", which was the biggest turd I have ever seen in a theater in a long, long time.

I'll definitely be skipping this ****e.

Dr.Mirakle32

Just saw it today. I really don't understand why the critics have been so harsh on the movie. It's called THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR. From that title alone, you don't go in expecting THE GODFATHER PART II. This third installment in the recent MUMMY frachise is nothing more than an over-glorified, big budget B-movie.... and that's what I LIKE ABOUT IT! It ain't Oscar worthy, high art cinema. And neither were THE MUMMY'S HAND, THE MUMMY'S GHOST, or HOUSE OF FRANKNSTEIN. It's action packed, and entertaining camp. As a huge fan of the first film, who hated the second, I have to say that this is a HUGE improvement over the first sequel, and certainly different from the first one in its own unique way. It's like the TEMPLE OF DOOM to the first one's RAIDERS. A unique adventure with its own tone and story, that takes the series into a different direction.

Overall, it had its flaws: The script could have been better. It wasn't the best, the dialoque was pretty weak, and alot of random stuff hapened, but it wasn't as God-awful as some other genre films. Plus, it was peppered with WTF moments. Like random Yetis: WTF!? Jet Li turining into King Ghidorah and CGI Harryhausen monsters: MASSIVE WTF??!! But, it fits in this fictional universe. Basically, this third installment was like INDIANA JONES meets RAY HARRYHAUSEN meets JAMES BOND meets ARMY OF DARKNESS. It's LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES, or rather MUMMIES, for the CGI generation. I went in with extremely low expectations due to the harsh reviews, and found myself enteratined. The costumes and sets were spectacular, and really give the film a great pulpy feel.

Maria Bello was a suitable replacement, but there's no reason why Weisz shouldn't have been in this film. It would have made it fit in better with the other two, but as a stand alone film, she works. Luke Ford as the son was great. He was likable, charismatic, and kicked alot of ass. Basically, he was the anti-Shia. If they did furture installments with him as the lead, I would be totally fine with it. Michelle Yeoh was great, and is kind of the Ardath Bey (1999 version) of this sequel. She is very attractive, and plays her part well. Of course Jet Li is bad ass as the Dragon Emperor, and is certainly the most evil of screen mummies. Where as Kharis and Imhotep were all about love, this guy just wants power and total control. Despite being a small guy in reall life, on screen, he has the presence of someone seven feet tall.

The film had plenty of fun, non-stop action, but I agree, the editing was a little muddled, and too fast at times. I saw it in a packed theater, and the audience reaction was superb. People were laughing, cheering and having a good time throughout the whole thing. Unlike THE DARK KNIGHT, where loud audience reactions were few and far between. That isn't to say this is a better movie than TDK, but it is certainly more fun.

Overall, a MUCH better experiece than the dissapointing INDY 4 (and the original RAIDERS is my favorite movie of ALL time), the lame MUMMY RETURNS, and of course VAN HELSING. Go in with low expectations, and you should have a good time. If you love monsters and martial arts, and pulpy B-movie style mixed with summer blockbuster action, this is definitely worth seeing. I certainly hope it does well enough at the box office to warrant a 4th one, maybe a darker film that introduces Kharis to modern audiences...

No Ticket

HellofaSandwich said:
Sounds like the exact same experience I had while watching "Wanted", which was the biggest turd I have ever seen in a theater in a long, long time.

I'll definitely be skipping this ****e.

I enjoyed Wanted. I was surprised by it's plot twist. I think the film was a decent movie.

And HovitosKing, I also think the first Mummy was better than KOTCS. But KOTCS is better than the sequel, and I imagine, this third installment. KOTCS is not the worse movie ever made or anything, it's just as an Indy movie most people expected it to be a great movie. Not a mediocre one. Which is what it is. It doesn't do anything all that smart/clever/interesting. It fails on delivering on an interesting premise. It could have been better. That's all there is to it.

I think we all kind of knew it would be better than Mummy III. High-fiving yetis eh? I don't think I want to see it now.

The Man

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15816/1/REVIEW-MUMMY-THE---TOMB-OF-THE-DRAGON-EMPEROR/Page1.html

'...It also delivers on a kind of thrills that Indiana Jones didn't even seem to bother with earlier this summer. Weirdly enough, Rob Cohen has beaten Spielberg in his own game of archeological adventure. Neither movie is technically any good, and both feature awful scripts and bad acting, but The Mummy has things like gunfights (where the heroes shoot guns! And kill bad guys!) and booby-trapped tombs, and it has a sense of scope as it travels from deserts to the snowy Himalayas with a stop for a chase in Shanghai along the way. And like Indiana Jones, The Mummy also features an adventurer father coming to grips with his adventurous son, but in Cohen's movie that relationship rings truer. Sitting through The Mummy and enjoying it on a base level made me realize just how hugely Indiana Jones failed.'

deckard24

Wow...what a disappointment! I saw The Mummy 3 last night despite the terrible reviews, because honestly I was really looking forward to it. Well, the critics do not lie, it's awful!! The story which could have been interesting due the great locale, was just a jumbled mess with way too many characters thrown in. The jokes were horribly unfunny, and it doesn't help that all Brendan Fraser does now is yell all his lines in an annoying voice. When it was supposed to be serious it was flat out hilarious, due to the sheer cheesiness of the situations, script, acting, etc... All I can say is save your money, and go see The Dark Knight again at IMAX! If you must see this film wait until it hits the dollar theaters, or at least go to a matinee for a cheaper price.

One thing though that The Mummy 3 did do well was put into perspective how disappointing KOTCS was. The stories mirror each other a bit, especially with the father/son angle and grappling with getting older, even if Fraser's kid in the movie looks only 5 years younger!LOL While KOTCS is definitely the better picture, after seeing both of these all I wanted to do was go back and watch a real adventure film, mainly one of the original 3 Indys. Maybe if they had combined The Mummy 3 and KOTCS into one, minus the football playing Yetis(WTF?) direct rip off of the Army of the Dead from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the horrible acting, weak CGI, crappy script, and shoddy pacing, we might have had one good film!

Sadly that's not the case!

The Man

http://news.fantasymoguls.com/originalcontent/2008/08/early-friday-3.html

'...The Dark Knight (Warner Bros) has met his match. Brendan Fraser’s The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Universal) has scored an excellent $16.5M opening day. That is stronger than the original Mummy’s $14.45M first day in 1999, but shy of the $23.38M opening day scored by The Mummy Returns in 2001. The Mummy 3 seems headed for a decent $43.5M 3-day opening, slightly below industry expectations.'

'...Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan’s Batman Begins sequel is not slowing down much, grabbing an estimated $12.31M on its 3rd Friday, which should translate to an estimated $41M for the 3-day. That represents just a 47% drop from last weekend. If that number holds, The Dark Knight will reach a new cume of $392M by Monday, which makes it a virtual cinch for $450M domestic, and, when all is said and done, I am projecting that TDK can reach $480M. That would make it the all-time #2 grossing movie in US history, behind only Titanic at $600M, and just ahead of Star Wars at $461M.'