Lost Indy Wave at Comic-Con 2011

michael

Lance Quazar said:
Willie for $30?? Mola Ram $33???*

Why would anyone do that? After a 2 second search on ebay, you can get a loose Ms. Scott for $5-7 and a carded one from $7-9.

*then again, with Amazon Prime's free shipping, their $4 Belloq isn't awful. But the rest of the prices are sheer madness.
Well I never said it was a good idea, but they ARE out there, especially if you want them carded.

Billy Ray

Lance Quazar said:
Willie for $30?? Mola Ram $33???*

Why would anyone do that? After a 2 second search on ebay, you can get a loose Ms. Scott for $5-7 and a carded one from $7-9.

*then again, with Amazon Prime's free shipping, their $4 Belloq isn't awful. But the rest of the prices are sheer madness.

Yeah, there are tons of the ToD wave on eBay for dirt cheap, especially if you don't mind them loose.

Nurhachi1991

Sold out at HTS? Oh well luckily this time around I don't care as much. I would of really liked a Satipo and Toht but ehh there not necessities

Spassvogel

I slept in and totally forgot about the set until about 2pm Pacific Time. I went on HTS and ordered a set with no problem and thought "huh, they must've made plenty of these sets" and then I went on RebelScum and read the thread there and had no idea the mess it had been.

I really hope Hasbro learns that they can create cool stuff for collectors and have it sell. (they probably won't learn anything)

Montana Smith

Just secured a set from a UK Ebay dealer. Probably cheaper than I could have got any direct from America, considering there would likely be 20% customs duty plus Royal Mail's handling fee.

It was a buy-it-now or best offer, so I gambled on a best offer, expecting the set to be snapped up at any moment for the asking price.

Sod's law these will now turn up at the Forbidden Planets cheaper - but I could do with another set.

Montana Smith

indyj0nes said:
just got a set of ebay for $166 (£100) of ebay, its going to be impossibole to decide to open these.:whip:

I know, that's why I want a second set!

When I buy figures now it's to use them in dioramas, but at £93 delivered, and with the prospect that these will keep or increase their value it's a tough call whether or not to open them.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
These figures are too awesome to languish in their packaging!

Open 'em and enjoy 'em!

Life is short.

I hear ya!

The heart says go for it.

The head says hold on.

But the heart usually wins in the end!

Billy Ray

While I am an "opener" when it comes to collecting and have never really understood the carded/packaged collector mentality (collection takes up more space, boxed thing like vehicles usualy can't even be seen in the box, and don't even get me started on boxed Lego collectors) I can see why someone would want to keep this in the box, as they are special. I do have a few (very few) pieces that I have found myself unable to open like the Star Wars Jorg Sacul figure (George Lucas in X-Wing Pilot outfit), the George Lucas Stormtrooper, the holiday figures (3-P0 and R2, Yoda, Jawas), etc.

With that said, I realize that these figures, while somewhat limited/exclusive/special, don't really fit with the rest of my collection anyway. I mean, I wouldn't display Santa Yoda alongside figures from the movies anyway. I have gotten other exclusives like the Ralph McQuarrie Concept Luke and 3-P0/R2 and opened them straight away to display with their counterparts from the basic figure line.

Anyway, that's how I feel about the SDCC Indy figures. Even though they are an exclusive, with potential future value, I won't ever be selling them. I collect actions figures, not boxes, and I don't "invest" in action figures either. When I get mine, they are coming straight off the card and into my collection with the rest of the Indy figures...and I can't wait to see them alongside them.

Henry W Jones

I am also for the most part an opener but I keep backcards and boxes. I have done this since a child and have perfected removing the bubble without thrashing the backcard. I keep this stuff because I like the pics and info on them. I won't ever sell my SDCC set but I ordered two this time. The reasoning is how unique the packaging is this time and its 30th anniversary. Gotta display open and sealed this time.

My 2 cents....
I became an opener in about 2000. I do however get some to keep opened and carded occasionally, and some exclusives I will carefully open (i.e. exacto knife around the bubble edge on a couple sides) and save the packaging so I can display the figures carded or loose. Usually if it's displayed in a protective case, you can't tell if it's been opened or not unless you really look at the edges. I ain't selling it, so it works for me!

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
While I am an "opener" when it comes to collecting and have never really understood the carded/packaged collector mentality (collection takes up more space, boxed thing like vehicles usualy can't even be seen in the box, and don't even get me started on boxed Lego collectors) I can see why someone would want to keep this in the box, as they are special. I do have a few (very few) pieces that I have found myself unable to open like the Star Wars Jorg Sacul figure (George Lucas in X-Wing Pilot outfit), the George Lucas Stormtrooper, the holiday figures (3-P0 and R2, Yoda, Jawas), etc.

I opened my Christmas Jawas as they seemed canon enough to be opening their presents in my Jabba's Palace!

I opened at least one of everything from Hasbro's Indy line, though I did stock up on loads of extras when they were dumped at the bargain stores - and they're all still carded.

As for the mint in unopened box Lego collectors, I can't understand that either. I've heard of unscrupulous sellers on Ebay and Bricklink selling expensive boxes of resealed rubbish, in the hope that their scam would never be uncovered as the buyer wouldn't ever open the box to discover the random junk inside.

Generally I'm of the opinion that figures are for loose display (and Lego is for building!) Though this SDCC Indy set is special. It would be cool to have at least one set mint and sealed.

Lance Quazar

Interesting thing about the Indy set is you can remove the carded figures from the large box without damaging the box even slightly.

The "tray" inside the box slides out easily and the carded figures are simply placed inside their respective "cubbies".

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Interesting thing about the Indy set is you can remove the carded figures from the large box without damaging the box even slightly.

The "tray" inside the box slides out easily and the carded figures are simply placed inside their respective "cubbies".

Bubble cards are evil. Always have been. A figure in an resealable box would be much more collector friendly. Hasbro don't even play fair with their resealable boxes - they still seal the figure or some accessory under a bubble inside it!

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
Bubble cards are evil. Always have been. A figure in an resealable box would be much more collector friendly. Hasbro don't even play fair with their resealable boxes - they still seal the figure or some accessory under a bubble inside it!

Indeed. In this case, you could remove the carded figures from the box and put them back again, but they would still be on the cards. No chance of removing them from that without destroying the packaging, as usual.

vf wing

Indy is the only line I collect carded. The reason being the collection was small enough to accumulate all of them and have them on permanent display and still be relatively contained. Hence I have gotten at least two of each previously released figure, so I could have one for the wall as well. If I had managed to snag this set the carded pieces would have been removed from the outer box for display alongside my other carded figs. I guess I can still look at my set as sorta complete since I did get all the Hasbro releases at retail! (y)