Rome

Stoo

I've been to Italy 3 times but have never been to Rome (except the airport). Finally, I'm going this weekend!(y)
Obviously, I'll be hitting the Colosseum, Forum and Sistine Chapel but can any fellow, Indy fans recommend any
of the list below to see? Since I won't have that much time, I'm trying to priortize things to do.

The Pantheon
Capitoline Hill (next to the Forum, isn't it?)
Piazza Navona
Palatine Hill
Baths of Caracala
Trajan's Market
Via Appia Antica and Catacombs (sounds good)
Ostia Antiqua

My girlfriend speaks Italian so we're set there but if anyone knows of other interesting, off-the-beaten-path places,
suggestions are more than welcome!:)

The Drifter

Sounds very exciting, Stoo!
Man, I would give anything to take a trip like that, but sadly I can hardly even leave my state.
Take care on that trip, and stay safe.

Stoo

Thanks, Drifter. I'm looking forward to it. You can get one of those Golden Idol
piggy-banks and start saving for your dream trip.:D :cool:

So, no one out there has any Indy-esque suggestions/recommendations for Rome?
No local Italians? No globe-trotting Ravenheads?

Le Saboteur

So...

...did you queue up for the Sistine Chapel? Or were you smart and opt for the nighttime tour? Pictures, please!

Of the five times I've been to Italy, I have never been to Rome. It's been difficult forcing myself to travel below Firenze, and I don't even like Florence. I'll need to remedy that in the future.

For now though, The New York Times has a nice collection of articles for anybody who's planning on going!

Stoo

Hey, Sab. We took a guided tour of the Vatican so didn't have to queue up for the Sistine Chapel. It was the last part of the tour and we actually entered via a small door deep in a back corner. The ceiling was much higher than expected and my neck started to hurt from looking up so much. It was very crowded and there were about half a dozen guards around telling everyone to "Shhhhh!" every 5 minutes. Photos were forbidden (and I didn't take any out of respect) but quite a few people ignored the rule and were sneaking snapshots.

We managed to see all the main sites but there were others we didn't because of time constraints. There's just too much to do in Rome! It was a tad disappointing to find that barely anthing remains of the Circus Maximus. All that's left is a looooong tract of sunken earth between 2 roads, covered in grass with some semblance of a dirt path were the chariot course once lay.:(

After starting this thread last year, I realized that I'd forgotten about my trip to Italy in 2003 so it was 4 times at that point instead of 3. I also went this past summer for a total of 6 (and it won't be the last). A week after Rome, we went down to the very bottom of Sicily to see some Greek ruins at Agrigento, "The Valley of the Temples". Lots of stuff to see there...(y)

I'll go through my photos and put some up.

Tennessee R

Hey stoo, it's been ages since i've been on here, but nice to see some familiar names. Did you get to go to ostia antiqua? That was very impressive for me. And the forum.