User Name
Password

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #1851
hemble
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
Now *this* is archaeology!

Hard to believe that I took my first foray into action figure customising at the height of the Indy line a decade ago.

While I've still been cranking out figures from different franchises in the intervening years, it's been an age since I've revisited Dr Jones.

Was never happy with the pre-posed legs and inaccurate fedora bash. So, one pair of "Hannibal Smith" lower extremities and a custom head later...

And for those who are curious, my first Indy custom from back in 2008..."Raven Bar Indy"...

Damn he looks awesome inky.

Ron
hemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #1852
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Looks awesome Inky! Where did you get the custom head?
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #1853
inky_skin
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Looks awesome Inky! Where did you get the custom head?

Thanks Billy Ray ! I believe it was this one...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MH258-Custom-...AOSweIlbEiI H

Although I have no idea what the original source of the cast is. Don't recognise it from any existing release...
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #1854
j_3_h
IndyFan

This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what I’ve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. I’ve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

I’m probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

j_3_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #1855
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_3_h
This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what Iíve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. Iíve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

Iím probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

Looks great!!
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #1856
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what I’ve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. I’ve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

I’m probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

Holy smokes, this is absolutely phenomenal and the first thing I went to do was search for this playset online. Alas, couldn't find one with the stairs, as you pointed out.

But, after seeing pictures of the original toy, your spectacular paint job as transformed this item from a simple child's toy into a nearly photo-realistic diorama. It's just fantastic! Bravo!!! I wish I had your skills (and a playset with the stairs) to attempt something similar, it would be the crown jewel and centerpiece of any Indy collection.

Bravo!!!!!

edited to add: And your atmosphere photography here adds so much! This is just terrific all around!
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #1857
j_3_h
IndyFan

Thank you so much guys!
I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the pics and for the comments on my display.
I will be adding some updated pics soon. I just got another one of these sets (well, the walls anyway in a parts lot) which I am in the process of reconfiguring to be interior walls to give the Idol inside a much nicer photo friendly background.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #1858
j_3_h
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Holy smokes, this is absolutely phenomenal and the first thing I went to do was search for this playset online. Alas, couldn't find one with the stairs, as you pointed out.

Yeah, the version with the dinosaur is what is available now, which isnít as nice.
The original set with the base was called Playmobil 3015 Jungle Ruins

There is another set, Playmobil 4842 treasure temple with guards, that I was tempted to pick up, but ultimately went with the ruins set. That one may work for you.

Good luck on your search!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #1859
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
The original set with the base was called Playmobil 3015 Jungle Ruins

Ohhhhhh! Okay, those are widely available at a pretty reasonable price on ebay. I'm SO tempted, but my Indy display shelf is already jammed. And I know I'd never do as good a job painting it as you (and without the paint job, it just looks too plastic, too much like a toy.)

For you, I'd recommend hitting up a craft store like Michael's, they sell all kinds of moss and greenery that might look great draped off your temple, a more "realistic"-looking option than the plastic trees.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote