Where did Indy learn to fight?

Mervyn_Peake

Well, he might conceivably have picked up some of his pistolcraft during his stint with Villa and Co. in Mexico. He did get to see some good pistoleros (e.g., the young George Patton) in action.

It's been a while since I saw it, but IIRC Indy was using some fairly sophisticated and little-known (even today) one-handed shooting techniques in Raiders. For instance, keeping the firing-hand elbow slightly bent, but with the flexor and extensor muscles (biceps and triceps) slightly tensed against each other, to create a "shock-absorber" effect, both for recoil control in rapid fire, and to kind of "float" the weapon a little bit when firing while moving, especially laterally or diagonally.

Indy also seemed to generally fire from eye level whenever there was physically room to do it. I can't say for sure he was aligning the sights in the conventional manner, or just looking through them, or just glancing over the top of the gun, but he seemed to be getting some sort of visual index (at least a quick, coarse one), which is almost always better than any sort of unsighted "hip-shooting."

As for his hand-to-hand fighting skills, it's harder to say. He was a big, strong guy, naturally athletic, and I'm sure that helped. I'm not sure, but it seems like I heard somewhere that he learned to use a whip from some circus performer.

He used sword-like weapons effectively in Temple. Whether he had ever studied any sort of edged weapon combat (such as sabre fencing, or the related art of singlestick), or was just doing what came naturally, I couldn't say.

There was a good deal of close-up, hand-to-hand fighting with every sort of edged and blunt weapon in the trenches of WW I. There were a number of experts in French savate around then too. He could have picked up a few tips from them.

This is a matter which merits further study.

Merv

Blackadder

I agree with bar fights. I think that Indy has sort of a short temper , so he doesn't like to be challenged :D From Peril At Delphi when he got into a fight in a jazz club he couldnt hold his temper so he attacked and he was later sorry cuz he let his temper get the better of him. So i think that Indy doesnt take crap from anyone :cool:

oki9Sedo

Blackadder said:
I agree with bar fights. I think that Indy has sort of a short temper , so he doesn't like to be challenged :D From Peril At Delphi when he got into a fight in a jazz club he couldnt hold his temper so he attacked and he was later sorry cuz he let his temper get the better of him. So i think that Indy doesnt take crap from anyone :cool:

Attacking someone who has just poisoned you and is laughing in your face doesn't mean you have a short temper!

oki9Sedo

I don't think Indy "learned" how to fight anywhere, he's just naturally good at it. He's very smart and instinctive, and of course he's in good physical shape.

otto rahn

Mervyn_Peake said:
Well, he might conceivably have picked up some of his pistolcraft during his stint with Villa and Co. in Mexico. He did get to see some good pistoleros (e.g., the young George Patton) in action.

It's been a while since I saw it, but IIRC Indy was using some fairly sophisticated and little-known (even today) one-handed shooting techniques in Raiders. For instance, keeping the firing-hand elbow slightly bent, but with the flexor and extensor muscles (biceps and triceps) slightly tensed against each other, to create a "shock-absorber" effect, both for recoil control in rapid fire, and to kind of "float" the weapon a little bit when firing while moving, especially laterally or diagonally.

Indy also seemed to generally fire from eye level whenever there was physically room to do it. I can't say for sure he was aligning the sights in the conventional manner, or just looking through them, or just glancing over the top of the gun, but he seemed to be getting some sort of visual index (at least a quick, coarse one), which is almost always better than any sort of unsighted "hip-shooting."

As for his hand-to-hand fighting skills, it's harder to say. He was a big, strong guy, naturally athletic, and I'm sure that helped. I'm not sure, but it seems like I heard somewhere that he learned to use a whip from some circus performer.

He used sword-like weapons effectively in Temple. Whether he had ever studied any sort of edged weapon combat (such as sabre fencing, or the related art of singlestick), or was just doing what came naturally, I couldn't say.

There was a good deal of close-up, hand-to-hand fighting with every sort of edged and blunt weapon in the trenches of WW I. There were a number of experts in French savate around then too. He could have picked up a few tips from them.

This is a matter which merits further study.

Merv
Actually Patton WASN'T much of a pistol shot. His poor shooting (he finished 21st in a field of 32) was responsible for relegating him to 5th in Modern Pentathalon at the 1912 Stockhom olympics.

Mervyn_Peake

otto rahn said:
Actually Patton WASN'T much of a pistol shot. His poor shooting (he finished 21st in a field of 32) was responsible for relegating him to 5th in Modern Pentathalon at the 1912 Stockhom olympics.

There is some dispute about what happened in that sporting contest. But in any case pistol fighting is very different from formal target shooting. Patton is known to have prevailed in more than one actual pistol fight.

Merv