Hasbro QnA

thelaw

Honest question.

What are the chances we could start a QnA session to Hasbro here? This seems to be the largest group of Indy fans and collectors on the web (our "Collecting Indy" section is larger than most entire Indy forums!). It seems a shame that our voices aren't being heard more directly by the toy company that makes our prized possesions.

And the more sites that submit, hopefully the more Hasbro will see that there are enough of us to support the line!

I know this question has been asked before, but please forgive if there is already a specific thread already devoted to it.

HovitosKing

We can always compile and submit questions to Hasbro and hope they answer, which is what other sites have done. However, with Indy-related Q&A's, Hasbro seems to be skimming questions at best, and not even reading them at worst. Most answers I've seen either don't address the question or are designed to be generic, uninformative, and vague.

thelaw

The impression I'm getting is that they are being intentionally vague because the line's future is in doubt. Right now, I'm worried about the ROTLA wave in 2009 even coming out (I'd be so depressed if the only thing I'd ever have to show for that wave was the body of SDCC Cobra Commander).

I truly believe the only thing keeping this line from being cancelled right now is the passion of the fanbase (both inside Hasbro and out!).

Uki

Well...

Let's go ahead and start compiling the questions for next time, okay? The worst that can happen is that they ignore us, which I doubt would happen. Who has a great nagging question?

Spalkomania

I'd like to know if Toht is getting his trenchcoat. Something similar to the one the old Kenner figure had would be nice.

The Golden Idol

Spalkomania said:
I'd like to know if Toht is getting his trenchcoat. Something similar to the one the old Kenner figure had would be nice.

Uki said:
In addendum to the Toht question, will Marion have the rest of her dress?

Yes! We've got to ask those two questions!

Also:

Will German Disguise Indy come with a cap?

Will Toht have the Ra headpiece impression in his hand?

thelaw

looks like we're going to miss the next round. The questions are due back to Hasbro today. The next ones will be due 3 weeks from now (they're moving to an "every 3 weeks" schedule now

New Hasbro QnA Schedule
August 21, 2008 | 12:19 PM EST | Jayson

Due to the sheer volume of questions submitted by the participating sites, the powers that be at Hasbro have tweaked the QnA format, switching to a new 3-week schedule. Question submissions will be due to them tomorrow and responses will then be returned/posted a week and a half later.

Here is a breakdown for the rest of the year based on the new deadlines:

Questions Due / Answers Returned
August 22 / September 2
September 12 / September 23
Ocotber 3 / October 14
October 24 / November 4
November 14 / November 25
December 5 / December 16

So I guess since I've been the whiniest about us not being involved in the QnA, I'll start compiling the questions.

So let's see some questions!

Terence

ok so im first to post for the new set of questions i will make it the most important...
TO HASBRO,surely the company(hasbro) knows there is a massive world wide campaign to get a marcus brody figue made,all hasbro has to do is look at a forum to know the massive demand in making this a figure,why as a company would you want to miss out on selling a well loved character who would no doubt sell out on preorder alone?

DIrishB

Terence said:
ok so im first to post for the new set of questions i will make it the most important...
TO HASBRO,surely the company(hasbro) knows there is a massive world wide campaign to get a marcus brody figue made,all hasbro has to do is look at a forum to know the massive demand in making this a figure,why as a company would you want to miss out on selling a well loved character who would no doubt sell out on preorder alone?

They're probably thinking (and maybe rightfully so) that going back and paying for the molds of a Marcus figure wouldn't be economically feasibly given the high costs of molds. Of course, there are many ways around that (just sculpting the head and repainting a suit clad body).

In the end I think its merely Hasbro just not seeing the Indy line as worth their time and trying to phase it out to put focus back on their golden egg: the Star Wars lines. It sucks, plain and simple. And in the end, it comes down to the fact that Hasbro blundered with the overkill of Mutts and variant Indys, as well as overdoing the amount of figures per wave. Hasbro shot their load with the first wave, and less than expected sales on a bunch of Indy and Mutt variants probably led them to scale back on future releases (Raiders, Last Crusade, and Temple waves).

I just hate it when a company mismanages a release...I love the products Hasbro puts out, I just hate their approach in doing so: glutting the market with too many Indy's and Mutt's. Its that simple. I understand those are the "easy sells" to kids, but the peg warming of those figures proves Hasbro mishandled it. Obviously a somewhat smaller production run (which would've saved them money, materials, and man-power) would've prevented that, and Indy fans still could've gotten their figures. The demand is there on a limited level (in comparison to the Star Wars lines), there is just way too much supply of a couple of figures that every one collecting the lines already has.

What Hasbro SHOULD do is continue the waves, but on a substantially smaller approach (as has been said by fans here and many other places). The demand for certain figures and variants is still there, its just a matter of getting them out on an economically smart business plan for the company, and there are ways of doing so. Smaller waves, or maybe even taking a mail away approach (though I know that isn't likely at this point).

If the line does die without a Marcus Brody figure, it just wouldn't be right.

Last edited:

Way of the dodo

They just have to be a little creative. They could get lots of mileage from a coat and tie body (especially if the tie snaps in and the style could be changed from figure to figure). Pack it with a horse repaint and charge more if they want. Anyway I'll never believe it's any less feasible than making that star wars figure of a the guy who played Jar Jar as a background extra in episode 2.

Uki

If the line does die without a Marcus Brody figure, it just wouldn't be right.[/QUOTE]

AMEN, Brother DIrishB! And Way of the Dod, you are correct! And Hasbro, I bought the Ahmed Best figure he refers to, so you KNOW that I will buy Marcus! A generaic suit and tie body is a great way to go, and I'd be willing personally to forego exacting accuracy reagarding suit styles if it means we can crank out suited dudes like Marcus, Donovan, Indy (Venice), and even Chattar Lal, if need be. (The snap-in tie is a fine idea, though!(y) )

tnswman

folks, You really need to read the latest answers.. The line is DEAD to hasbro as of the TOD wave.. The 2009 figures will NOT be sold unless the line is picked up.

The main reason for this is simply HASBRO!

sure, hasbro did a GREAT job at putting figures out there but D@MN!! They fell into the same trap of under producing basic Indy figures and over producing EVERYONE else.

This happened in the 80's with BOTH lines.

Hasbro should have played the Mattel game and shipped less toys on the front end and then caught up whatever was needed in the post-movie months.

The OVER-production and delivery of NON-basic Indy figures has once again KILLED a PERFECT indy line.

Sure, there are great chances that a certain retailer can pick up Indy as an exclusive but the chances are VERY slim.

The Indy line did it's job, it made money through the movie tie-in time frame..however, the longevity is NOT there.

I have seen a LOT of pre-production samples and plans for 2009 and these are NO LONGER on tap to be made and it makes me SICK!!

The Golden Idol

tnswman said:
folks, You really need to read the latest answers.. The line is DEAD to hasbro as of the TOD wave.. The 2009 figures will NOT be sold unless the line is picked up.

Oh, no! The 2009 Raiders wave is what I want the most! :(

tnswman said:
I have seen a LOT of pre-production samples and plans for 2009 and these are NO LONGER on tap to be made and it makes me SICK!!

Can you please list some that we haven't heard of yet?

DIrishB

tnswman said:

The main reason for this is simply HASBRO!

sure, hasbro did a GREAT job at putting figures out there but D@MN!! They fell into the same trap of under producing basic Indy figures and over producing EVERYONE else.

This happened in the 80's with BOTH lines.

Hasbro should have played the Mattel game and shipped less toys on the front end and then caught up whatever was needed in the post-movie months.

The OVER-production and delivery of NON-basic Indy figures has once again KILLED a PERFECT indy line.

Sure, there are great chances that a certain retailer can pick up Indy as an exclusive but the chances are VERY slim.

The Indy line did it's job, it made money through the movie tie-in time frame..however, the longevity is NOT there.

This post ruined my day.

:(

C'mon Hasbro!

monkey man

I can only hope that you're wrong tnswman.
I want that wave with Marion with the dress too. I don't think Hasbro will pull the plug before Thot and Marion get released.
They made way too many KOTCS figures. Enough already.
There is a built in demand for figures for the first 3 movies. I can't believe Hasbro would be dumb enough to kill this line before they cash in on that demand.

masterJ

Well I dont think the line is officially dead yet, Hasbro did say that they are going to wait and see how the line does with the DVD release and the holidays... Everything seems to move from Black Friday on. So there is still hope left, not in the long term but maybe enough to get us that Raiders 09 wave and maybe one more wave after. Would love to get that Flying wing... Fingers crossed!

tnswman

Ever since I had the pleasure of being interviewed by the official Magazine for my collection, I have been in contact with some Hasbro people....Hasbro was more than ready to move into 2009 with a LOT of cool products..However, The buyers just died out.

This has been Hasbro's fault though..The cases were 4 figures too big and all of those were the wrong figures.

they need to market this in 8 figure cases.

I just do not see the retail support and to be honest Hasbo does not either.

I'm sure they will try to get the 2009 wave out for ROTLA but it will be a challenge.