Star Wars: The Force Awakens

San Holo

Just imagine that Indy 4 gets made and is halfway decent- think the records it will break and of how much cash George Lucas will pocket. If an aging Indy can still bring in the crowds, why couldn't an aging Han, Leia, or Luke.I know that Lucas has said that he won't do another Star Wars movie(which is ultimatley Anikin's story), but Last Crusade was supposed to be the last also. Will Indy 4's success inspire Lucas to revisit Star Wars "One last time" ?

Finn

Staff member
I dunno, much of post-Star Wars seems to be covered by the so-called "expanded universe" (I'm no expert in this though) so there's a bit more unknown ground to be covered in Indy's case than with the SW universe.

Of course, "money talks" and so on, but somehow I find seemingly unlikable.

IndyBuff

Star Wars 7 would be interesting but I don't see it happening, not to mention that Lucas is planning a tv show (which could either be awesome or a complete disaster).

I'm still wondering if Indy IV will even happen at this point. With Lucas there's no telling what will happen with Indiana Jones and Star Wars anymore.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
I dunno, much of post-Star Wars seems to be covered by the so-called "expanded universe" (I'm no expert in this though) so there's a bit more unknown ground to be covered in Indy's case than with the SW universe.
Yup, the books pick up right after Return of the Jedi (The truce at Backura), maybe there's a day or two to fill in :)

San Holo

I think the Star Wars franchise could flourish under a new writer/director, maybe stories about the New Jedi Order or Knights of the Old Republic? Could or should that happen?

TombReader

No,because 95% of the Expanded Universe is garbage. :sick:

Seriously,if they ever do the rumored tv show,I'm sure we'll see a few(if not several) writers or directors involved.My understanding is that the series will take place between Eps.3 and 4.That's fine as long as the continuity of the films is not messed with(my biggest complaint against the EU).However,I would prefer to see the series set during the Jedi/Sith War.

Last edited:

IndyBuff

TombReader said:
No,because 95% of the Expanded Universe is garbage. :sick:

Seriously,if they ever do the rumored tv show,I'm sure we'll see a few(if not several) writers or directors involved.My understanding is that the series will take place between Eps.3 and 4.That's fine as long as the continuity of the films is not messed with(my biggest complaint against the EU).However,I would prefer to see the series set during the Jedi/Sith War.

I read a statement from Lucas recently saying that the show would be animated. He's already done that before (with the Clone Wars show) and I thought live-actors would probably be more exciting to watch. The idea of a cartoon just doesn't appeal to me for this project.

San Holo

TombReader said:
Yeah, I heard Kevin Smith was doing the show. He is enough of a fan of the Old Trilogy to do justice to the series. I'm crossing my fingers.

merancapeman

:dead: Hate to bust your guys bubble, but Star Wars 7 is incredibly likely. The thing is, however, that it won't be 7. It's going to be somewhere in between 3 and 4 and have to do with Obi Wan and his training on Tatooine (Edit: Oh, I didn't really read the last thread. Maybe it'll be a series!). Don't believe me? Here's a clue, when Yoda was speaking with Obi at the end of Ep. 3, he mentioned that Obi was to go on Tatooine with Luke, because "an old friend" had learned to stay in a corpeal form. Qui Gonn.

Trust me, I hated the newer episodes, but I think it's true.

deckard24

New Star Wars Movie To Be Made?

It's all rumor and spectulation right now, but aintitcoolnews.com announced that George Lucas has a special announcement for the Celebration IV Weekend! The rumor is a new Star Wars movie to be made, set in the Old Republic taking place 1000 years or so before Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Even if it's just a hoax, it will definitely generate some discussion. He's got the new tv show coming out, and he was supposedly done with SW movies but no one ever knows with the bearded one! I just hope if this does become a reality, that he hands over the directorial reins to someone else a.s.a.p..

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
I'm thinking, if you have the production values set for a whole whopping TV series, might as well use the bells and thistles to make one feature length piece that will set the series.

So perhaps a movie doesn't sound THAT unbelieveable. Will it ever hit silver screens or go directly to TV/DVD, though...

deckard24

If it does indeed happen, I think it will absolutely hit the theaters. Lucas will not pass up the millions of dollars a new Star Wars movie released worldwide could generate. The story and characters will be the trick though! Will people become as invested into a SW film with characters they don't know? The Prequel Trilogy capitalized on the fact it had returning characters, but a movie set 1000 years earlier with unknowns might lose the interest of a lot of people!

kongisking

Hmm...interesting. I was personally hoping Lucas would do a 3rd Trilogy. But why would he set a new film in the old Republic Days? Shouldn't he make a movie about the Dark Times and Darth Vader hunting down the rest of the Jedi in hiding?

thanks for the info, Deck. :gun:

Katarn07

I say it's bogus. The guy's already been misquoted twice about new movies when he was in actuality referring to that live action series (which has been delayed once again).

I've outgrown SW. I love the original trilogy, but any new stuff that happens to carry the name I can take or leave. I don't care one way or the other.

deckard24 said:
but a movie set 1000 years earlier with unknowns might lose the interest of a lot of people!

Knights of the Old Republic proved many could fall in love with that era and all new characters. At the time of its release, that was the only time era I wasn't familiar with (now I'm way behind with this Legacy era which I have no interest in) but think it's possibly one of the greatest EU stories told. It was better than the prequels, that's for sure.

deckard24

A new film set in the Old Republic has a market with the die hard SW fans and the gamers, other than that with the general population I don't think so. I'm talking about the majority of the mainstream audience who know the OT, the prequels, and all the toys in between! I highly doubt that the majority of mainstream parents who took their kids to the newer SW movies and watched the OT growing up are savvy to the Expanded Universe, KotOR, characters, storylines, etc...

If it does happen it'll make money because of the name Star Wars, but the absence of widely known loved characters like Vader, Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2, and Obi Wan will be a hurdle Lucas and Co. will have to jump!

Baron Brunwald

I think his announcement is release dates for Episodes I-VI in 3D, but it's just a guess. He's mentioned this many times in the past.