Who else saw Indy 3 in theaters?

IndyForever

Yeah in the UK it used to take 18-24 months for a VHS release & most films from US were at least 2-3 months later (because the studios used to save money by re-using US prints only the big showcase cinemas in London would usually get a brand new print).

AndyLGR

IndyForever said:
Yeah in the UK it used to take 18-24 months for a VHS release & most films from US were at least 2-3 months later (because the studios used to save money by re-using US prints only the big showcase cinemas in London would usually get a brand new print).
Sometimes longer, I rememeber ROTJ took at least 3 years to hit video. TV premieres were usually 3 years after the cinema release too. So if you couldn't afford to go to the cinema or couldn't afford a VHS player then it was a 3 year wait to see the film on TV!

Grizzlor

I saw it sometime in the summer of '89 with my friend Jim. We were going into 6th grade. My introduction to Indiana Jones was through Temple of Doom, which another friend of mine had rented on VHS probably within the previous year. So I was fired up, and TLC obviously did not disappoint. I don't think I saw Raiders for many years later though (either on TV or video), maybe even after the 92-93 Young Indy run.

indytim

I saw all four Indy films at the cinema in the years that they were released.

I was 11 years old when I saw Raiders here in the UK and had to sneak in as it was originally classified a 'Certificate 15' (which in the UK, as you've probably guessed, means no-one under the age of 15 is allowed to see it even if they're accompanied by an adult). It blew my tiny mind!!!

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Though it's not my favorite of the four (that will always be Raiders of the Lost Ark, I'm sure), it's actually the one I've seen theatrically the most times, at seventeen. That's sixteen Indyvidual screenings back in '89 (fourteen by itself, plus twice more in the double feature Paramount gave it in late summer with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier), plus once more in the AMC marathon in September of 2012, to commemorate the Blu-ray release.
Hi, Crack. It's always nice to see you return to The Raven.:hat: Love your "Indyvidual" remark. Nice one.

Wow! 17 times?!?:eek: The only movies that I've seen that many times in a theatre are 21 "Star Wars" screenings and 15 for "Empire Strikes Back" because those were the days before the home video market and Lucas had said that "Star Wars" would never, ever be shown on TV!

The reasons I saw "Crusade" only 2 or 3 times at the cinema were because:

a) It was VERY DISAPPOINTING & hokey
b) It didn't last very long at the theatres in my area
c) I knew that it would eventually be available on VHS

Which leads me to this:
AndyLGR said:
Something thats easy to forget now, is that back then if you didn't see some something at the cinema you could be waiting a while to watch it again, whether on video rental or on the TV. There was none of this it'll be out in 2 months to buy like there is now.
IndyForever said:
Yeah in the UK it used to take 18-24 months for a VHS release...
AndyLGR said:
Sometimes longer, I rememeber ROTJ took at least 3 years to hit video.
While I do remember those long waiting periods, things had changed by the late '80s. "Crusade" was actually released on home video within c.8 months after its theatrical premiere (which would've been about 4 months after it left the theatres in my area, perhaps even less time in others places with a longer run). The first North American VHS came out in very early 1990 (my insert for a mail-away offer had an expiry date of April 30th).

This was likely the same for the UK, too, because it was released twice in 1990 over there. (See JuniorJones' info here: Indiana Jones UK VHS releases)

micsteam

I agree with you Stoo on your first statement, at the time I felt the same about LC ( I don't feel that way now, I have a new appreciation for it, well acted and great banter between Connery and Ford) but there were quite a few other movies out at the time and I new it'd be on VHS by the fall which it did. Now when I think waaay back, I think Empire came out on HBO in like 1982 or '83 before ROTJ was released, at least here in the states, however, I don't recall when it was released on video/VHS but I want to say around or before 1984. BTW Stoo did you get my message ?? :hat: