Just saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

JasonII

I just saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for the first time last Thursday. I rented it from one of those Red Box video rentals. I thought it was pretty good, and I was wondering why so many other Indiana Jones fans didn't like it. I didn't like the profanity that was in it; but other than that, I thought it was pretty good. It certainly seemed to have that thrill-a-minute non-stop action that the other movies had with plenty of bogus bullet dodging scenes that no one could get through in reality without getting shot. Anyway, I'm just wondering why so many people didn't like it and said it was the worse one made. I'm also wondering what the next movie will be called and what it'll be about. I've heard they're definitely going to do a fifth movie. Does anyone here know anything about it? Also, is there any chance there'll be a sixth movie after the next one comes out? It seems like George Lucas tends to do his movies by trilogies. He did three Star Wars movies in sequence, and there were three Indiana Jones movies made back in the 80's. Is the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the first of another trilogy? I'm hoping it is.
God bless, Jason Irelan

caats

people i've found are lightening up on the hate. more people are starting to like it. and i'm not shocked. IMO all the indy movies get better with viewings.

JasonII

The Golden Idol said:

Because I don't think it's right to use it. I think in the original trilogy, the worse we would've heard for swearing would've been a hell or a damn; but in this movie, I had to put up with BS being used once as well as SOB being used a couple times and the sh word being used another time. The swearing wasn't that bad in any of the first three.
God bless, Jason Irelan

QBComics

JasonII said:
Because I don't think it's right to use it. I think in the original trilogy, the worse we would've heard for swearing would've been a hell or a damn; but in this movie, I had to put up with BS being used once as well as SOB being used a couple times and the sh word being used another time. The swearing wasn't that bad in any of the first three.
God bless, Jason Irelan

In thw Orignal Trilogy they used (blocked for your pleasing):

D word
S word
Ba word
SOAB word
H word

Hope you guys actually know what I mean with these... :eek:

Udvarnoky

There was equal swearing in the previous movies, but I found the two uses of "sh!t" in Crystal Skull unnecessary and forced. It didn't help that they both came from Shia. I mean, considering his situation, when Indy said "Oh, ****!" on the rope bridge in Temple of Doom it was appropriate and funny. In Crystal Skull it felt like it was included to prove something.

What I find ironic is that the movie is rated PG-13 for "adventure violence and scary images." Language is nowhere to found, and yet in my mind it's the only reason this movie can't be PG. Crystal Skull is easily the lightest of the four movies.

JasonII

Well I watched The Temple of Doom when it aired on one of the four networks, so it's no wonder I didn't think the profanity was that bad. I suppose if I would've waited long enough and gotten lucky enough to see The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on one of the networks, I might've thought it was the same way. It would've seemed downright hypocritical to have it in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade when he's looking for biblical relics.
God bless, Jason Irelan

IndyJr.

JasonII said:
I just saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for the first time last Thursday. I rented it from one of those Red Box video rentals. I thought it was pretty good, and I was wondering why so many other Indiana Jones fans didn't like it. I didn't like the profanity that was in it; but other than that, I thought it was pretty good. It certainly seemed to have that thrill-a-minute non-stop action that the other movies had with plenty of bogus bullet dodging scenes that no one could get through in reality without getting shot. Anyway, I'm just wondering why so many people didn't like it and said it was the worse one made. I'm also wondering what the next movie will be called and what it'll be about. I've heard they're definitely going to do a fifth movie. Does anyone here know anything about it? Also, is there any chance there'll be a sixth movie after the next one comes out? It seems like George Lucas tends to do his movies by trilogies. He did three Star Wars movies in sequence, and there were three Indiana Jones movies made back in the 80's. Is the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the first of another trilogy? I'm hoping it is.
God bless, Jason Irelan

I have to agree with you about cussing... however, I have the TVGuardian... but I have to disagree with you about the OT. Raiders had GD in it. ;)

But all in all, you can't help others cuss, but you can refrain from it yourself. That's what I do. :p

JasonII

Of the first three, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only one I actually own. I remember getting it from McDonald's when they were selling movies once. I saw The Last Crusade on one of the four networks too, so again, I would've seen the edited for television version of it. But back to my other question. Does anyone have any information about upcoming Indiana Jones movies?
God bless, Jason Irelan:whip: :gun:

indyclone25

at least in raiders when marion is cleaning indy's wounds she says g-d d-------t
and when the bantu wind is stopped and katanga tells indy that "they have most important friends" indys says "h--y s--t"

and of course in temple of doom the bridge scene indy says oh s--t

Dr. Wolfwood

JasonII said:
I was wondering why so many other Indiana Jones fans didn't like it.

Mainly because of the lack of proper character development. It was too fast-paced and didn't pay enough attention to the characters.

Just an action scene after an action scene - and much of the action was pretty unnecessary, like the attack of the natives at the end part of the movie who had no purpose at all to be there and served no further purpose at all, except as target practice. The same goes for the jungle race, where we get inexplicable roads in the middle of the jungle (after the jungle cutter has been destroyed) and one of the most embarrassing Tarzan scenes in the history of film.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
There was equal swearing in the previous movies, but I found the two uses of "sh!t" in Crystal Skull unnecessary and forced. It didn't help that they both came from Shia. I mean, considering his situation, when Indy said "Oh, ****!" on the rope bridge in Temple of Doom it was appropriate and funny. In Crystal Skull it felt like it was included to prove something.

What I find ironic is that the movie is rated PG-13 for "adventure violence and scary images." Language is nowhere to found, and yet in my mind it's the only reason this movie can't be PG. Crystal Skull is easily the lightest of the four movies.

I agree.

I'm not sure whether it was just my childish mindset (at the time of first seeing the movies)... but I found the expletives in Raiders and TOD to aptly punctuate the scene/situation, rather than them being used nonchalantly as they appear in KOTCS. Not that it?s an issue for me? as I swear all the ****ing time. ;)

Udvarnoky

Yeah I mean, I'm hardly the type who whines about profanity in movies. I'm also not a parent, but maybe with age I've become more keen about showing some responsibility in movies so clearly aimed at kids. To put it from another perspective, if Indy4 wasn't willing to show the gore factor I would have considered appropriate for the ant scene and Spalko's obliteration, I don't know why they're any more inclined to have Mutt say "Oh, ****!" in service of a gag that I don't think a single person has managed to confidently claim they understood. (The switchblade ripping part.)

Benraianajones

I do wish Spalko's death lingered on screen a bit longer, I do admit, when she was stood in the middle as the knowledge flowed in to her eyes as the crystal skeletons rotated around her, I did get slight chills on the neck. Just wish we saw her eyes burning for a bit longer!

JasonII

I hope that speculation I read isn't an indication of what the next Indiana Jones movie will be like. That would really suck if the next movie doesn't have Indiana Jones much in it. I was hoping this would be the start of another trilogy.
I heard the F word being used on one of the networks not too long ago, and that surprised me because I didn't think it was allowed. It was special on either Prime Time, 20/20, or Dateline about a guy who had managed to figure out how to get along with bears and liked them a lot. Unlike Indiana Jones, I prefer snakes myself.
God bless, Jason Irelan