THE BIG BANG: Raiders story conference transcripts!!??

torao

Moderator Emeritus
[insert facial expression of indy facing an important find]

I know that some of you are regulars on the spielbergfilms message board. I tend to check out some of their threads now and then.

What I read their a few minutes ago was just jaw-dropping: a member named agent5 has purchased some alleged transcripts of the Raiders conference meeting tapes. Due to the lack of proof of authenticity he hasn't been scanning more than the cover and one page
:

http://static.flickr.com/1/130301481_6efdbf5bfe_b.jpg

Click on the text above to check out the thread for yourself. He shortly hints on some of the stuff he has read. Steven (Awalt) also brings up some interesting things...

There are about a gazillion Indy-referenced quotes, or metaphors that define the meaning of this "find" you could use now, which I'll leave to you.
All I can say is that I MUST HAVE THESE DAMN PAGES....and I know that I'm not alone.

:D

Oh dear...I'm still stunned ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
121 pages of Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan brainstorming Indy in January 1978? Some things are too elaborate to be hoaxes. Now this is a holy grail... Indy's creation. Great find torao. I can't wait to read more.

Fly, Raveners! Like flying monkeys! Retrieve the lost pages!

Methos

Any update on this story at all? I'm much intrigued by what I read, in those two pages. I wholeheartedly agree with Moedred that this seems far too elaborate to be a hoax as well.

IndyJr.

... seriously, this looks like a converence transcript for Raiders of the Lost Ark... not Indiana Jones 4..

and if that's what you meant, then sorry...

but then... why is it so important. the movie's already out... reading papers about what they said about what happened in a movie that came out 20 years ago is a waste of time (I say that referently, realizing that I myself have spent a lot of time on Indy stuff, and I am glad I did)... but this seems rather... unusful (n)

Bullwhip

IndyJr. said:
... seriously, this looks like a converence transcript for Raiders of the Lost Ark... not Indiana Jones 4..

and if that's what you meant, then sorry...

but then... why is it so important. the movie's already out... reading papers about what they said about what happened in a movie that came out 20 years ago is a waste of time (I say that referently, realizing that I myself have spent a lot of time on Indy stuff, and I am glad I did)... but this seems rather... unusful (n)

It IS for Raiders.

Dude, it's Spielberg, Lucas, and Kasdan BRAINSTORMING Raiders. Right before our eyes, they're giving birth to Indiana Jones. If this doesn't appeal to you as a fan of the character, then I don't know what will.

oki9Sedo

I find it unlikely that its real. It was a brainstorming session. The people doing the brainstorming have notepads to jot down notes. Nobody would bother their arse to record and type up what was said.

Bullwhip

As I understand it IS known that recordings were made and that Kasdan used them when writing the script. I think the fact that they're type-written has to do with someone outside the project having access to the tapes and transcribing them. Not positive, though.

oki9Sedo

Bullwhip said:
As I understand it IS known that recordings were made and that Kasdan used them when writing the script. I think the fact that they're type-written has to do with someone outside the project having access to the tapes and transcribing them. Not positive, though.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. You never know, maybe they are real. I'm sceptical though.

Methos

I second what Bullwhip's said. I've been a Star Wars fan as well and was always fascinated by the subtle and not so subtle hints that Lucas would drop in magazine interviews and the original trilogy's 'Annotated Screenplays', with regard to the prequels. I don't find it at all inconceivable that they kept detailed minutes of their initial production meetings for ROTLA. Reading the minutes of such a series of meetings is just about the closest thing we might ever get to witnessing the birth of Indy. I would love to get my hands on a copy of this rare find, if it is indeed legit!:D

No Ticket

I find it intriguing. If it's real I would love to read more. I read that one page that was scanned and it sounds like stuff that they would say. If it's all made up then I feel sorry for the person who is getting his kicks and giggles from wasting a crap load of time making up conversations about the making of the movie.

I think it's probably real, I know Spielberg and Lucas document much of their movies and tape recording the brainstorming sessions would make sense to help keep track of what was said, don't you think?

Still. It's hard to say. Lucasfilm should publish something like that themselves. lol. It would sell.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I'm still amazed at the sheer thought of that Blade Runner release that awaits us at december 18th.

...In a perfect world there would be a comparable release for the Indiana Jones movies. Of course containing the audio of these early stages of script development...and all the other stuff we still haven't been able to see...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I was just noticing how Agent5 calls the transcript "a VERY interesting read for the true fan," and the Raiders movie on cassette "an awesome experience for the serious fan."

He's a busy guy and Raiders historian with an awesome collection he kindly shares with the world. He frequents other boards like COW but not here to my knowledge. He apparently owns a digital camera but no scanner, which I have gone so far as to offer to help him purchase. Call me crazy, or rather, call me an Indy "scripthead." To each their own. Should you meet him in passing, tell him nice gear, and tell him some of us are looking for a good read.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Saw an image of the transcript on the new DVD featurette, "Raiders: an Introduction." The cover was word for word as photographed by agent5, except no Raiders logo. Spielberg said those conferences were "where it was born."