Sherlock Holmes - RDJ

Montana Smith

I don't know how to really class these two Guy Ritchie Sherlock films.

They both look good. Robert and Jude have a great rapport.

Yet they're far from the classic depiction. The subtlety of the detective stories are lost amid high octane action and Guy's highly stylized film-making. They feel self-consciously marketed at an audience who wouldn't normally flock to see a Sherlock Holmes tale as told in the television series.

By the time I was partway through A Game of Shadows I couldn't help thinking that this was the Indiana Jones version of Sherlock.

The best bits of both films, and especially of the second, were the comedy sequences.

The most excruciating moment was the final reveal of Sherlock at the end of Shadows!

Montana Smith said:
I passed on the DVD for a quid, but a week ago I picked up a bunch of Blu rays for £2 each. Sherlock Holmes was one of them.

Strangely enough, another of them was the 10th Anniversary Edition of Fight Club. Strangely, because I watched about half an hour of Sherlock Holmes last night, and there was Downey Jr. doing a Victorian fight club.
I quite liked the Rocky Road to Dublin bit.

Funny, I just caught Game of Shadows which I thought was entertaining and while I don't think it was as bad as:

Montana Smith said:
I wasn't far wrong when I said it looked like a Jean-Claude van Damme/Steven Segal team-up. Though Downey is more Bruce Lee with his baton twirling and systematic degradation of his opponent's ability to resist.

I did think Jackie Chan AFTER he was stripped of his Shun Di disguise...

Montana Smith said:
It looks like Sherlock tackled from Ritchie's Lock, Stock angle. That's not a bad thing, just different.
Not a fan of Jared Harris, (love his exwife though) but like Captain Craig I enjoyed his Moriarity.

I was also pleased to see Wolf Kahler in the beginning!(y)

216878_460342217333097_2016576232_n.jpg

Last edited: