My custom Indiana Jones 12" figure

mfisher

I'm new here.. so a quick intro would be in order I guess.... I'm in my thirties.. so Indy came out when I was a little pup... just the right time too.. I spent my childhood running all over the neighborhood with a floppy oversized hat and a satchel.. ( like many of us here did) But the best thing I ever had as a kid was the Kenner 12" Indy figure... loved that thing... wore him out... (still have one too :) ) Years later I bought a ToysMcCoy Indy.. he's great.. but the details are just off a bit... I am a very avid figure collector / customizer... so recently I set out to make my ultimate Indy figure... here's progress so far !
http://web.mac.com/fishlippi/iWeb/Site/indy.html

I am also in the process of creating a number of Indy characters in 12" scale.. in the works are Jock the pilot, toht, Belloq, Arab Henchman, generic Nazi from Raiders, Colonel Vogel, Kazim, Katanga, Indy in german uniform, Satipo, Henry Sr.. sounds like a long list.. but mind you most of these are already in the works or mostly done... will post more photos as I go... but here is a photo of a completed Col Dietrich from Raiders:
http://web.mac.com/fishlippi/iWeb/Site/dietrich.html

Katarn07

Love the Dietrich. I saw a similar one on eBay but didn't have the money for it. Haven't seen a decent one since.

Can't wait to see the rest of them. I've never seen a Jock or Vogel done before, and most of the others you mentioned I've only seen once or twice, and they weren't the quality of the ones you've shown.

deckard24

Wow mfisher those are great customs! Are they Sideshow bodies, and is the Indy one a Han Solo you tweaked?
I agree that there hasn't been a great likeness yet of Indy. Toys McCoy made a great figure, and the cinemaquette coming out looks pretty good but none have really captured Ford's likeness.The McCoy version I think is the best yet, but they really could improve on it with Sideshow's artists. I'm really hoping Sideshow or Neca comes out with a 12" or 18" version in 08.
Maybe you could give us all a break down demo of your technique with pics, I'd love to see how you work your magic.

Katarn07

The Relic Hunter was a good one too, also a helluvalot cheaper. Mix and match the two and that's the best kit-bashed Indy you can currently get without sculpting or manufacturing parts yourself.

And as for Jock? Wow, I'm blown away. He's my favorite of the three so far if only for originality.

mfisher

Thanks guys.. yeah I am seriously hoping sideshow lands the INDY license... could you imagine one of their Premium Format figures of Indy ?!? And like I have said before.. if they do, in fact, put out a 12" Indy I will most definitely buy a case just to build all the variations an customs of him ! ;)

deckard24

Katarn07, you build customs too huh? I'd like to see some pics!

I wonder if Sideshow does do the 12'' line, if they'll make Indy figures to span all the movies like they did with the New Hope Han Solo and ESB Han Solo. It would be cool to have a younger Raider's Indy and an older IJ4 Indy. I can already imagine the premium format accessories will be the Grail Diary and journal from Raiders. How cool would it be to have the desert turban disguise as an accessory, complete w/pick ax and Staff of Ra.

Katarn07

I didn't wanna hijack mfisher's thread, but whatever.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Katarn07/Indy Collection/

I didn't make any of that stuff. I bought them all from a couple of my favorite toy dealers. I have the know-how to do the small scale stuff, but don't have the time or resources.

As for Sideshow getting the license, they'd need to make an Indy from every film. Classic Indy as seen in RotLA, battle-damaged Indy at ToD's finale, and Indy with the tie from LC. I'd get at least the Raiders and Indy IV versions. Who am I kidding? I'd get all 4. :)

mfisher

Hey Katarn... I'd like to see close up shots of your LaoChe and shorty figures... what headsculpt did you use for Lao anyway ??

deckard24

Great collection Katarn! I've got a retarded amount of collectibles mainly Star Wars, and a decent amount of the Kenner vintage ROTLA series. Only one carded figure and that's Toht, nothing though like what you've got. The 12'' customs are really cool, I'm digging the Indy in James Bond tux and I mentioned the desert disguise w/Staff of Ra and you have it, lol! I've always wanted to arrange everything I have and take some photos, but I haven't got the space. One day hopefully, by the way have you guys ever scene the fan photo collections at www.rebelscum.com? There are some ridiculously large collections pictured, one guy has a basement that is designed as the friggin Death Star. I'm not kidding, he must have spent $20,000 building this collectible room. If you both haven't seen it, check it out and let me know what you think!

Katarn07

mfisher said:
Hey Katarn... I'd like to see close up shots of your LaoChe and shorty figures... what headsculpt did you use for Lao anyway ??

Like I said, I didn't make any of them but the head sculpt is pretty good, though the paint job is lacking. That's my main problem with most of my customs is the lousy paint jobs, though some are terrific.

I'll try to get close ups, though it may take me awhile. If you've seen the rest of my basement in the gallery, you'll see there's a table in my way and that's why the angles of Indy stuff ain't great.

mfisher

hey deckard... I tried looking over at rebelscum... couldnt find the "deathstar room".. you have a direct link to that page.. or guide me in :)

deckard24

If you go to the main page and scroll up to section in the headings, under there you'll find collectors collections click on that! On this page at the very top they tell you all about the page, click on let's get started with Philip's Room!

Katarn07

My dad bought your Jock off eBay by the way. We got him today. Even cooler in person. Only thing missing was a 1/6 scale snake! ;)

mfisher

wow... good to know a fellow board member won the auction... hope you liked the fishing pole too :) I really wanted to get a scale snake.. but never found a good one...

Katarn07

Yeah, I'll post pics of it later along with close ups of Lao and Shorty. I know what head was used for Shorty and let me warn you, it's no good. I usually kinda pull his Yankee hat down so it's hard to see his face.

mfisher

yeah.. from the posted photo it looks like the starwars Anankin figure that came out.. i had actually bought one of those with the intent to build a shorty out of it.. but the head looked so bad I gave it to a neighborhood kid... the Lao head looks like a samarai headsculpt I saw recently on a figure forum.. just do not know what company produced it...

Viper

I'd like to see Kazim, or maybe a general "grail guardian" (the name has left me ATM, the people with Kazim who distracted te Nazis in LC)

IndySeven

Indy Figure

Nice customization! I've tried time and time again to make a customized Indy figure of my own. I'm a teenager, so unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of getting an Indy figure of my own (the majority of them were releaed in the 80's).I used a Han Solo figure without a jacket and a floppy hat from a Luke Skywalker figure that looks similar to Indy's hat. I also used a Bespin Han Solo figure and customized it, so now it looks sort of like the vintage Kenner Indy figure. Please give me some advice on customizing:)