British MKV replica bag

Hiluxtaco

Do any of you own this replica of the British MKV gas mask bag?

I was also wondering about the quality of these bags? Where they are made, etc.?

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/mkv-gas-mask-bag-product,13925

The reason that I am interested in this bag is because I can't seem to find an original MKV bag with the 3 vents (on the bottom) anywhere. And so this seems to be the next best thing.

I plan on using it as a daily EDC-type bag, so it's going to get some use.

I am also considering Todd's Costumes replica MK VII bag (with a leather strap). Having this bag shipped over from the UK is going to run me about $50, so they are about the same price-wise. So that is not really an issue to me.

But, I really would like a bag with the three drain holes on the bottom, as was seen in the bridge fight scene in Temple of Doom..

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Consider this -- if you get the first replica bag you mention, the strap to go with it will cost you an additional $20 US + shipping to the UK.

Also consider that the bag you really want for authenticity is a Mark VII, not a Mark V. Don't know if it's three vents in the bottom of Todd's or not, though.

Magnoli also has a replica bag, but I believe it has two vents on the bottom.

Finally, if you want to up the ante, What Price Glory has original, unissued Mk VII bags for $45. Up the ante a little bit more and they have original, unissued Mk VII bags made by W&G, which is assumed to be the company that made the bag used by Indy in Raiders. That's $65.

IJBag.jpg

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1914&bc=no

Check 'em out, and let us know what you decide. And don't forget to post pics of the final project!

p.s. I personally believe that for display purposes or costuming, it's best to go with the real deal. Every piece that's a knockoff, replica, reproduction, or "close enough" detracts from the overall project. A new bag beaten up to look old, a brown leather jacket with elastic cuffs, a hat with a sewn edge around the brim, and a low end eBay whip --- and slowly you build a cheap looking display.

Just my opinion.

Hiluxtaco

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on picking up a real Mk VII from WPG's ebay page here in a few days. They list them as being shipped from a location down in California, as opposed to their location in Dubai that their website shows. That bag will used for my Indy outfit, while this Mk V bag will just be a daily beater bag..

I've seen various pics of the Magnolia and Todd's Costumes replica bags, and both have two vent holes on the bottom.

Not that they aren't great bags or anything, I just want one of the Mk V's with the three vents. And this replica bag (sold on that website in the UK) seems to be the only one that I can find that looks like this. If I can find a genuine MK V somewhere, I would gladly snag one of them in a heartbeat..

PS - I just want to add that I an American, from the wet state of Oregon. Just sayin'. ;)

Goodeknight

Hiluxtaco said:
PS - I just want to add that I an American, from the wet state of Oregon. Just sayin'. ;)

Gotcha. I misread shipping "from" the UK, and thought you were there, not here. But that's neither here nor there. Well, actually, it's here, not there.

Good luck in your quest.

Hiluxtaco

I added my location under my username to clear up any confusion.. ;)

Yeah, I am from over here.

But, I wouldn't mind spending some time over there, buying stuff that I could drag back over here. :D