Hasbro Mutt Williams without jacket and why?

Henry W Jones

If I'm wrong, please let me know. Mutt never is without his coat in KOTCS and just in a T-shirt yet they made a 3 3/4" figure without the jacket.......

url

.... and a 12" figure without the jacket as well.

url

What was the point if he never looks that way on screen? :confused:
I guess it like the KOTCS Indy with the bazooka and no jacket or hat. During the bazooka scene he is wearing his jacket and hat. :confused:

url

:confused:

P.S. Also confused as to why "the jacket" and "hat" are in red and underlined? :confused:

Montana Smith

My guess is that since Mutt was in the film to offset 'old' Indy for the younger members of the audience, Hasbro projected they could sell even more Mutt figures by creating variations.

Hey kids! Now you can even re-enact the publicity photos!

tumblr_mcvwpsbp9U1rgfc96o1_500.jpg

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
My guess is that since Mutt was in the film to offset 'old' Indy for the younger members of the audience, Hasbro projected they could sell even more Mutt figures by creating variations.

Hey kids! Now you can even re-enact the publicity photos!

Spielberg action figure says, "Alright Shia, now take off the jacket. Now you're a tiger. Now give me a serious look. Now you are a monkey, swing thru the trees!!!" As the camera flashes and takes pic after pic.

Now that would be fun!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Lucasfilm and its marketing partners were extremely interested in trying to make Mutt a "cool" character that would appeal to kids and would help drive merchandising efforts.

Obviously, this endeavor was an almost complete failure.

However, when the toys and other marketing tie-ins were being created (prior to the films release), they were optimistic of this character breaking through.

Hasbro is obviously given a great deal of production and pre-production material to design their toys around, since the toys hit the shelves in advance of the movie. It's very possible that a scene with Mutt sans jacket was planned and maybe even shot.

Also, from Hasbro's perspective, it's a way to double-dip with their raw materials and tooling, selling a "different" figure which is almost exactly like the other figure, except for the arms. They are famous for reusing parts.

(Hell, just look at how parts from the Toht figure were used to make two GI Joe figures - the SDCC "black suit" Cobra Commander and the SDCC "James McCullen" figure and now the Marvel Universe Professor X figure)

Those 2 figures (jacketless Mutt and jacketless Indy) gave me a torso and arms and head and legs to make a custom Indy after decontamination\interrogation scene from KOTCS. I can't remember if I finished it though...

Exulted Unicron

part of me also noticed that the card backings are swapped somehow as well. The jacketed KOTCS Indy has a picture of Indy in Area 51, where as the RPG Indy has a picture of jacketed Indy fighting Dovchenko in the jungle. Perhaps someone made a mistake at hasbro?

But as for Indy/Mutt variants: It's a very common practice in toy lines to try and keep it going by offering as many variants as the main hero and popular characters as possible. Mutt may not have gone jacketless in the movie, but that doesn't stop hasbro making the jacketless variant to try and increase sales.

Marshall '81

From Cool Toy Review:

Cool Toy Review: Hasbro, will you please admit that the 2008 Mutt Williams action figure(s) situation = 1999's Jar Jar Binks Episode 1 situation?

I'm not a Mutt hater, but there is NO WAY that your estimates of how popular Mutt is with kids is correct. No way. He is everywhere, and last time I checked, the movie was about Indiana Jones, not Mutt Williams. A ton of Indys on the pegs, sure. Makes perfect sense. Mutt? Not so much. So, drop any and all Mutts from ALL FUTURE CASE ASSORTMENTS, and replace them with The Last Crusade and, when the time comes, Temple of Doom figures.

Hasbro: Mutt is the second-best selling figure next to Indy, right in line with our expectations. The version with jacket is a significantly better seller than the one without, though. We did that version based on the belief that Mutt had scenes without his jacket, which turned out to be incorrect.

(http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Hasbros_INDIANA_JONES_QA_The_Answers_117480.asp)

Dokta_Joenz

I always found jacketless Mutt and RPG Indy to be 2 of the most pointless and boring figures in the Hasbro line. I remember they were the top peg warmers all the way up until stores got rid of the line completely.

Mutt is a boring figure anyhow, but they should have just included the switchblade with the jacketed one and done 1 figure.

A jacketless KOTCS Indy wouldn't have been a bad idea for a figure had it been done right but the fact that he doesn't even come with his trademark fedora, never mind an uncoiled whip is what kills it. Besides, Indy had his jacket and hat on when using the RPG in the film anyhow so the figure is completely pointless unless you have a spare KOTCS Indy to swap parts with. I would have never wanted an fedoraless Indy as a kid.