Of Crystal Skulls

A_True_Believer

For those believing the rumor that crystal skulls are the McGuffin in Indy 4, this article may prove interesting.

Wikipedia - Crystal Skulls

After reading this article, the prospect of having the skulls in Indy 4 became a lot more intriuging for me. There are a lot of myths about them having mystical powers, including granting diviniation, happiness, and the ability to "will the death of someone". It certainly sounds like they would fit in with the other McGuffins of the series.

(And if this link has already been posted, I apologize. I did try searching for it and I didn't see it anywhere else.)

No Ticket

HovitosKing said:
let me put this in the language of mathematical equations...

crystal skulls = LAME x 13

Sankara stones are pretty stupid too in the end... but the movie rocked.

Johnny Nys

It works the other way around for me. I was actually willing to give the crystal skulls a go, UNTIL I read that Wiki page. Because it also says several skulls have been found and studied and none have exhibited any powers whatsoever. So if they're featured in the movie, you'll have to forget all about that if you want to believe in them.

NileQT87

they sounded kinda cool until you learn on wikipedia they were likely 19th century german fakes. lol.

they are right up there with all the apparent misfortunes caused by the hope diamond--speaking of which, probably would make a better story (certainly a more famous one). the curse of tutankhamen hysteria (1920s) would have made a great young indy story...

at least neither of those two items were proven to be made semi-recently in another country. doing something with el día de los muertos would at least be authentic to mexico. or you can always go for the montezuma/cortés theme.

Last edited:

HovitosKing

I didn't really "arrive" at it. I didn't dissect the multitude of possibilities which this plot could provide, or assess the relative weight of the wikipedia entry or personal knowledge of these relics as historical artifacts. I just immediately decided that a number of small crystal skulls isn't interesting to me. It's, how do I put this, "lame." If you're asking why I multiplied the lameness by 13, then keep thinking about it. It'll come to you.

HovitosKing said:
small crystal skulls

They're full-sized skulls. Hardly "small."

And Indy already found one Crystal Skull. In the novel, Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone Indy finds one in some snake temple. The stone snake points the way to the skull (if memory serves... haven't read that book in 10 years) and once he finds it he ends up also finding some massive python or whatever. But yeaaah... the skull carried a curse "he who touches the skull will kill the one he loves." So the rest of the novel Indy fights urges to harm the story's heroine. Good times. I actually really dig the skulls and hope that they're involved instead of the ark.

HovitosKing

you forgot to mention that he finally returned the skull in secret of the sphinx. i read the books too. still no skulls for Indy IV.

HovitosKing said:
you forgot to mention that he finally returned the skull in secret of the sphinx. i read the books too. still no skulls for Indy IV.

You're right. I had forgotten about that one. Never liked Secret of the Sphinx. Philosopher's Stone was the only novel I enjoyed.

...nothing's worse than Interior World though. Ugh. How was that Indy? Garbage.

But I digress. The skulls have a lot of potential--they've been rumored linked to so many different cultures and their alleged curses and whatever else give the script a lot opportunities... I'd very much like the skulls. And some legends hold that the skulls are linked to Atlantis... so perhaps we'll get an adaptation of FOA after all... if only in a very loose way.

chapter11

I didn't really "arrive" at it. I didn't dissect the multitude of possibilities which this plot could provide ... I just immediately decided that a number of small crystal skulls isn't interesting to me.

See, now if you had dissected the multitude of possibilities, and then posted your thoughts on then, positive or negative, that might have been interesting. Just saying it's "lame" -- what does that contribute to the discussion?

If you're asking why I multiplied the lameness by 13, then keep thinking about it. It'll come to you.

Funny. Really funny.

On the actual topic of the crystal skulls, assuming they are the McGuffin for Indy4, I think it would pretty much invalidate the novels as canon (not that they're really considered canon anyway, and thank god -- other than Delphi they never really felt like Indy to me, mostly because they were way too mystical).

In general I think the skulls would be pretty interesting for Indy 4. For one thing, they're a non-Judeo-Christian artifact, which immediately differentiates this story from Raiders and Crusade. And to be honest, I think we can do without the wrath of God this time, since we've been there, done that twice.

The skulls have a lot of potential--they've been rumored linked to so many different cultures and their alleged curses and whatever else give the script a lot opportunities...

Yep, you could really take this in a lot of surprising directions. Which would be fantastic, because I'd love to be surprised by the artifact's possible backstory and connection to the present.

sarah navarro

Of which five have actually been found, which have mystical powers and are of ancient origin.

hmmm...sounds like the Sankara stones to me .I acually like the idea,I think its better than bringing the Ark back eventhough the Ark would be cool .:)

bflah91989

My theory on the Atlantean connections would probably focus on some power source or weapon that the United States is afraid the Russians will get their hands on. Knowing Indy's connection to Atlantis, they contact him in hopes that he can retrieve it. The US govt promises that it can go to a museum but they want the weapon source just as much as the Russians do.

chapter11

bflah91989 said:
My theory on the Atlantean connections would probably focus on some power source or weapon that the United States is afraid the Russians will get their hands on. Knowing Indy's connection to Atlantis, they contact him in hopes that he can retrieve it. The US govt promises that it can go to a museum but they want the weapon source just as much as the Russians do.

In this scenario, it would actually be kind of funny for the government officials to make reference to Indy's pursuit of Atlantis in FOA, in a throwaway comment that only the astute fans would catch. Not that I want to see a million in-jokes, but one or two are kind of fun.

chapter11 said:
In this scenario, it would actually be kind of funny for the government officials to make reference to Indy's pursuit of Atlantis in FOA, in a throwaway comment that only the astute fans would catch. Not that I want to see a million in-jokes, but one or two are kind of fun.

I hope it's a semi-adaptation sorta thing just because FOA was the biggest missed opportunity ever...

chapter11

ResidentAlien said:
I hope it's a semi-adaptation sorta thing just because FOA was the biggest missed opportunity ever...

I agree if you're talking about the comics, but disagree if you mean the game. I *loved* that adventure game!

chapter11 said:
I agree if you're talking about the comics, but disagree if you mean the game. I *loved* that adventure game!

No, I meant the movie as adapted from the game. They should have done that while Ford was young. Missed opportunity there; greatest game ever made.

As for the comics... totally agree. Completely awful. What a waste of a fantastic story.