Spielberg and M&M's

IndyAJA77

I thought it was interesting (fitting?) that M&M's was tied in with the Crystal Skull marketing campaign. I'm sure most, if not everyone, here is aware that he wanted to use M&M's in E.T., but the company said "no" (hence Reese's Pieces). I'm not aware of Spielberg having partnered with M&M's since (until Crystal Skull that is). Now, of course the candy doesn't show itself in the film as it would have in E.T., but I'm wondering was there a tie-in I missed (Jurassic Park, maybe) or has the E.T. experience left a bad taste in his mouth regarding M&M's?

Agent Z

Hmmm, interesting. Never really thought about it actually.

I came across this from Wikipedia though:

"In April 2005, M&M's ran the "mPire" promotion to tie in with the Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith movie release. M&M's were offered in a dark variety for the first time."

Perhaps it's more about Lucas getting the promotion going, than Spielberg?

At any rate, I curse the Kingdom M&M's promo, as it has added 5 pounds to my frame this season. :p

EDIT: From IMDB : "Reese's outbid M&M's for product placement. There is a rumor that M&M's were used initially, but the company asked for them to be removed, suspecting that the film would flop. Another rumor is that Mars the company that makes M&M's did not want to be associated with Aliens. It is worth noting, however, that the in the original release of the book of the film, the candy that ET picks up is specifically identified as being M&Ms."

Last edited:

StoneTriple

Agent Z said:
I curse the Kingdom M&M's promo, as it has added 5 pounds to my frame this season. :p

I have over 20 bags of the mint M&Ms left. Man, those things are limited edition and it's going to be a long, hot summer. I didn't want to take any chances - particularly with something that tastes like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie.

And yes, I smuggled a bag into my fourth viewing of Crystal Skull. :p

Agent Z

StoneTriple said:
I have over 20 bags of the mint M&Ms left. Man, those things are limited edition and it's going to be a long, hot summer. I didn't want to take any chances - particularly with something that tastes like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie.

And yes, I smuggled a bag into my fourth showing of Crystal Skull. :p

Oh man! *LOL*

20 bags?!

I bought like 4 of the "large" 21 oz bags, and 2 of the giant 45 oz resealable bags....all of the regular variety, I haven't tried the mint ones, cause I thought it would be nasty. However, the only mint sweets that I have ever liked were the Girl Scout thin mints, so I better not even get started on the Indy mint M&Ms. :p

IndyAJA77

I confess I wasn't interested in the mint variety. I just stuck with the peanut kind that I would normally eat (I prefer Reese's myself---I like peanut butter more than chocolate). I didn't do too bad with the candy, but I did eat at Burger King quite a bit! I think it would have been worse if Indy were a holiday movie. At least it's spring/summer and I can burn off the excess fat from M&M's, Snickers, burgers and fries and other Indy related junk food.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hate to burst your bubble, but it wasn't M&M's in ET. It was Reese's Pieces. I would know. I have that trivia question in my Scene It game and I screwed up on that question thinking it was M&Ms. Oh wait, someone already said that with a Wikipedia fact.

I have to admit I've never had Reese's Pieces. Are they as good as Butterfinger coz I love Butterfinger. I've had pretty much every variety of M&M's and I love all equally. I'm not sure about mint coz I'm not into mint at all and I haven't seen any of the Indy ones anywhere. None of the Indy food products anywhere.

Agent Z

Violet Indy said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but it wasn't M&M's in ET. It was Reese's Pieces. I would know. I have that trivia question in my Scene It game and I screwed up on that question thinking it was M&Ms. Oh wait, someone already said that with a Wikipedia fact.

This is just an example of lazy thread surveying. You will be forced to stay extra hours in the forum dojo young lady.

Violet Indy said:
I have to admit I've never had Reese's Pieces. Are they as good as Butterfinger coz I love Butterfinger. I've had pretty much every variety of M&M's and I love all equally. I'm not sure about mint coz I'm not into mint at all and I haven't seen any of the Indy ones anywhere. None of the Indy food products anywhere.

Reese's Pieces are just as addictive as M&M's.

These aliens of the beards know their candies, eh? (y)

No Indy food there? Oh well, at least you still have your Vita Brits and Smarties mate. :p

sunshinestate1992

Violet Indy said:

Yeah he did say it was reeses pieces though violet
he said They werent allowed to.I had no idea bout this anyhow though hahaa:D :D
edit: ohh i get it the candy was actually in the film i though ti was only for marketing though ahahah

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Agent Z said:
This is just an example of lazy thread surveying. You will be forced to stay extra hours in the forum dojo young lady.

Wax on.... wax off.... wax on.... wax off...zzzzzzz...zzzz...:sleep: Funnily enough, I have done karate in the past. I had to quit coz I moved. I was on 6th Kyu other wise known as Orange belt. These days I prefer bellydancing as a physical hobby though shooting periods on short films are pretty good exercise too.

Agent Z said:
Reese's Pieces are just as addictive as M&M's.

These aliens of the beards know their candies, eh? (y)

No Indy food there? Oh well, at least you still have your Vita Brits and Smarties mate. :p

I hate Smarties, they're terrible! They're a poor imitation of M&Ms, which are widely avaliable in Australia, thank God. Vita Brits aren't bad, they're very healthy, you know. At least, I'll still be in good shape compared to you Indy food addicts in the States. ;) Besides we're the country that has the Tim Tam, the greatest chocolate biscuit of all time. :p

|ZiR|

I honestly did not like the mint flavored IJ M&M's. Total disappointment. Still have an entire bag full of them.

The mint idea kinda threw me. Out of all the special flavors they could have done, why MINT to promote Indiana Jones? Couldn't they have done something... more appropriate? Like a chocolate chili pepper flavor. It's delicious and from the Aztecs.

Rococo

Agent Z said:
At any rate, I curse the Kingdom M&M's promo, as it has added 5 pounds to my frame this season. :p

I hear that! I see them in the store, with the great Indy packaging- now I have a stockpile. Very bad thing for the diet, I'll tell you!

tupogirl

Besides we're the country that has the Tim Tam, the greatest chocolate biscuit of all time.

Violet, yes Tim Tams are very delicious! I have a friend who married an Aussie and he would bring tons of TT's with him on visits. Now she moved out there:p.

I actually really like the mint IJ M&M's. Kind of like mint crispy ones. I have become allergic to peanuts in the past two years, so I no longer get to have my old favorites: peanut M&M's, Reese Pieces/Cups and Snickers.

|ZiR|

tupogirl said:
I have become allergic to peanuts in the past two years, so I no longer get to have my old favorites: peanut M&M's, Reese Pieces/Cups and Snickers.

My sincerest condolences on the peanut allergy. Those are all favorites of mine, and I don't know what I'd do if I was suddenly allergic to them. (Lose some weight, I guess. :p)

Seriously though, that sucks. I did not know that a person can just suddenly become allergic to something like that. Kinda scary.

Agent Z

Violet Indy said:
Funnily enough, I have done karate in the past. I had to quit coz I moved. I was on 6th Kyu other wise known as Orange belt. These days I prefer bellydancing as a physical hobby though shooting periods on short films are pretty good exercise too.

Whatever keeps you hopping Grasshopper. :)

Hmmm, another Aussie bellydancer! I am starting to think that bellydancing is more popular over there than here stateside? Mayhaps...

Violet Indy said:
I hate Smarties, they're terrible! They're a poor imitation of M&Ms, which are widely avaliable in Australia, thank God. Vita Brits aren't bad, they're very healthy, you know. At least, I'll still be in good shape compared to you Indy food addicts in the States. ;) Besides we're the country that has the Tim Tam, the greatest chocolate biscuit of all time. :p

Ahhh, yes, Tim Tam! I have also heard of, and have also never tried. :(

We should have a food trade holiday each year. Ship over Dr Peppers for Tim Tams and such....

Just a thought.

Oh, for those unaware, there are also fruit-flavored Smarties, not to be confused with the Smarties of this discussion. :hat:

Rococo said:
I hear that! I see them in the store, with the great Indy packaging- now I have a stockpile. Very bad thing for the diet, I'll tell you!

I ended-up pouring all the M&M's out of their respective bags into tupperware containers, just to save the Indy packaging, and gave the rest of the candy to some of my neighbor's kids.

Seriously, I can't say no to them, so I had to exorcise my apartment of those little delicious demons. :p

Rococo

Agent Z said:
I ended-up pouring all the M&M's out of their respective bags into tupperware containers, just to save the Indy packaging, and gave the rest of the candy to some of my neighbor's kids.

He he- glad I'm not the only one who thought the packaging was great enough to keep ;-) They did a good job with them, and the quotes and trivia are all really fun.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Agent Z said:
Whatever keeps you hopping Grasshopper. :)

Hmmm, another Aussie bellydancer! I am starting to think that bellydancing is more popular over there than here stateside? Mayhaps...

Yeah. It's either bellydancing or yoga or Bollywood dancing. I did try Latin dancing, but there's always way too many girls and they're all over 30s and desperate so kind of not fun unless you go with friends or a BF. I did Karate for confidence boost and for weight loss (well, I was a teenage girl at the time), but to be honest, you don't really lose much in karate. I had to take a second look at those sensei's. Some of them, my God. :eek: I did yoga for a while too. I thought it was quite boring. Bellydancing, however has some appeal and great costumes if you ever get to performing stage.

Agent Z said:
Ahhh, yes, Tim Tam! I have also heard of, and have also never tried. :(

We should have a food trade holiday each year. Ship over Dr Peppers for Tim Tams and such....

Just a thought.

Oh, for those unaware, there are also fruit-flavored Smarties, not to be confused with the Smarties of this discussion. :hat:

Actually I can get my hands on most American chocolates. There's a candy store in Brisbane city, that has stuff from all over the world and tons of American stuff including Dr Pepper, which I have tried and didn't like very much. I just haven't found a small pack of Reeses. They sell those big multipack ones. And it's expensive. I will say one thing... don't ever try Vegemite. It smells and tastes terrible and would never touch it with a ten foot pole. Tim Tams on the other hand....(y) I was quite surprised when I went over because the US does sell every other Arnott's biscuit (or cookie I should say) that we have. Why not the Tim Tam?

Rococo

Agent Z said:

I love those! I used to live in Taiwan, and for some reason they were available there- now that I'm back in the US, I miss them- they were great!

Agent Z

Violet Indy said:
I did Karate for confidence boost and for weight loss (well, I was a teenage girl at the time), but to be honest, you don't really lose much in karate. I had to take a second look at those sensei's. Some of them, my God. :eek:

Haha, well, I could see that. I'm sure there are all kinds...just like you see out of shape/in shape police officers. I guess it really comes down to what one makes of it. There are three martial art classes near here and all the instructors are lean, mean, and look like they gargle nails for lunch mate. :eek:

I was going to do martial arts at one point, and may still, but a good number of the disciplines are hard on the knees and I have abused my kness enough through a lifetime of running and basketball.

Violet Indy said:
Bellydancing, however has some appeal and great costumes if you ever get to performing stage.

A friend of mine showed me a video of one of their shows and I agree. It does look like fun and it definitely has an aesthetic beyond the dancing itself. :)

Violet Indy said:
Actually I can get my hands on most American chocolates. There's a candy store in Brisbane city, that has stuff from all over the world and tons of American stuff including Dr Pepper, which I have tried and didn't like very much. I just haven't found a small pack of Reeses. They sell those big multipack ones. And it's expensive. I will say one thing... don't ever try Vegemite. It smells and tastes terrible and would never touch it with a ten foot pole. Tim Tams on the other hand....(y) I was quite surprised when I went over because the US does sell every other Arnott's biscuit (or cookie I should say) that we have. Why not the Tim Tam?

I don't know! :( I shall keep looking though. Maybe I will try on eBay, as that is where I used to get Cadbury Eggs when they were out of (Easter) season here in the states. Now, with Halloween Cadbury Eggs, it's a little easier to wait between their appearances. :p

I just remembered that you guys get Nerds candy as well, so that is comforting. (y)

Rococo said:
I love those! I used to live in Taiwan, and for some reason they were available there- now that I'm back in the US, I miss them- they were great!

I haven't had them in years, but I could have sworn that they were still around? :confused:

I used to eat the mess out of them when I was a kid. They were standard stock at the local swimming pool's concession area...right up there with Funions and those little springy candy necklaces that people wore...and ate. (y)