What Does That Sign in the Graveyard Really Say

AnnieJones

In Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at 44:27,there is a sign shown at the entrance of the graveyard.I tried to read the sign.It wasn't easy because it was hard to see it clearly.Mutt holds a flashlight up to it,but he doesn't hold his flashlight up to the whole sign at once and lightning flashes.So,between the flashlight and the lightning I was able to read what looks like "MATAREMOS AL OS DUAQUEROS".Mutt says "Grave robbers will be shot".
1.According to Babelfish "mataremos al os" means "We will kill you",but what does "duaqueros" mean if anything,if that's even what it says?Like I said,I had a hard time reading it.
2.According to Answers Yahoo.com and Dictionary.com "qua" is Latin for "as" and according to WikiAnswers.com "qua" is Latin for "in general".
3.According to this Spanish to English translator "queros" means "bankers".
The last two don't make any sense.They appeared as one word on the sign,but the only way it was a little bit translatable was to make them two separate words.Together,"duaqueros" isn't a word at all,but separate it doesn't make any sense.If "duaqueros" is even what the sign says,which I doubt.Again,I must say that I had a hard time reading it,so if anyone else has better luck please post it on this thread.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border:0px" src="http://books.google.com/books?id=4TH7vpk79U0C&lpg=PA1&dq=kingdom%20of%20the%20crystal%20skull%20rollins&pg=PT122&output=embed" width=500 height=500></iframe>

There we are, at the bottom of page 118 of the novelization. "Mataremos a Los Huaqueros," where "huaqueros" means treasure hunter, amateur excavator, looter...grave robbers.

And apparently they got this one very right, as this is the term the word is derived from. Huaca, in Quechua, the Andean dialect, means a revered object or place of some kind. The verb, hence, is huaquear, to rob graves.

AnnieJones

Thank you Attila the Professor.:D This helps a lot considering I didn't get the novels yet.The reason I wanted to translate this was because when movies and shows translate languages,they never seem to give the actual translation.As a result,I have grown an interest in what the signs actually say(and what people are actually saying).So "Mataremos a Los Huaqueros" actually translates as "We will kill you grave robbers" or "We will kill the grave robbers".

Indy's brother

Google translated the phrase "mataremos a los huaqueros" to simply: "We Kill Looters". Which is kind of awesome in it's straight to the point threatening-ness. More threateny. Threatishness. Whatev's.

Babelfish translated it to the slightly less foreboding "we will kill the huaqueros"

Might have been better for the audience if they'd actually put the sign in English. Ridiculous and irrelevent to make it 'authentic'. What's ever authentic about an Indiana Jones film?