Who else is frightened by the alien?

SeanWheeler

At the climax of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, when Spalko returned the skull, the 13 skeletons formed a single alien. Now overall, I think KotCS is a good movie. The scary alien was the only flaw in my opinion. I do think the fridge scene might be slightly plausible. My reason for hating the alien is not that it's out of place, but it really scares me. Is anyone else scared by the alien? I don't get why I'm scared. It's just a picture on the screen. It won't do anything to me. I guess it's because it's ugly. Anyone else scared?

Goodeknight

Well, he was a little scary, grimacing and frying out Spalko's eyeballs with mind energy.

But, my disappointment in the whole concept was so overwhelming it sucked all the energy out of me. I didn't have anything left to put toward fear.

Interesting choice for a first post.

Indy's brother

replican't said:
Its totally unscary and actually unintentionally laughable.

No offense to the OP, but I completely agree with this. I actually yearned for more of a horror tone with that scene. My 5 year old son started screaming from the living room when that part came on......"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Come see this! It's SO COOL!!!" Seriously.

Yeah, and the reason why its so poor in its power is they neglected to build up the imaginative tension and speculation. When the Ark gets opened, you've spent 2 hours of being told how incredible and Godlike and awful and awesome the power of this thing is, that your mind embellishes those ghosts and melting Nazis and fills in all the gaps with your own fear-and-triumph special effects.

When the aliens appeared at the end of KoCS, I just thought "Ha. Rubbish CGI ripoff from Close Encounters". There was no implicit threat or promise in the build up, so the pay off was negligable.

Goodeknight

replican't said:
Yeah, and the reason why its so poor in its power is they neglected to build up the imaginative tension and speculation. When the Ark gets opened, you've spent 2 hours of being told how incredible and Godlike and awful and awesome the power of this thing is, that your mind embellishes those ghosts and melting Nazis and fills in all the gaps with your own fear-and-triumph special effects.

When the aliens appeared at the end of KoCS, I just thought "Ha. Rubbish CGI ripoff from Close Encounters". There was no implicit threat or promise in the build up, so the pay off was negligable.

Nicely put. Raiders is a perfect example of how to build tension that way.

Udvarnoky

The climax could have, and should have, been way spookier. There are actually several opportune places in the movie where some real atmosphere, mystery and permeating eeriness could have been mined, and the ending is the most obvious, but the interest just wasn't there by the powers that be. In my opinion it's actually a downright odd omission for an Indiana Jones movie.

SeanWheeler

I don't get it. What makes me so scared of the aliens? Maybe it's the eyes. Maybe it's the memory. Maybe I just hate the alien. I don't know. But after the alien part I feel relieved.