Do you know anyone who's never seen Indiana Jones?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Henry W Jones said:
I met a guy like that a few weeks ago. We were watching tv and a commercial for Transformers came on and he said, "Why would I want to watch that fake s**t. Stupid sci-fi movies are ridiculous" To bad some people have no imagination or interest in things that are new.

Unfortunately, he has a point. Any Transformers movies is stupid, fake s**t and sometimes inadvertly, or advertly (who knows?) offensive to those with a modicum of sense.

Most sci-fi movies are pretty stupid, as are most films. When you look at movies logically most tend to fall apart pretty quickly. It's not lack of imagination but the supension of disbelief and how the filmmakers manage that.

Back on thread...

ALL my family have not seen a full Indiana Jones film. Can't get the kids to watch it, the wife is too bitter to watch as she believe the amount of money I've spent on IJ could have bought her a new house. I quote "When your dead, I sell the lot!"::eek:

The way we apprechiate Indiana Jones just isn't understood in the maintream. Unbelieveably, it is a niche fan interest and most people have got better things to think about. (yes, really!) We live in an Indiana Jones bubble.

Were are all a bit strange.

I've said it now, it's out there.:p

Last edited:

mattzilla2010

I never said the Transformers movies weren't stupid (I find them to be very stupid actually), but just because something clearly isn't real, and never could be, isn't a valid reason to hate it in my opinion. Some movies aren't meant to be looked at logically - they're an escape from reality into a dream world. With movies like this I throw believability aside and just go with it. As long as the story sets rules for itself and follows those rules consistently I'm fine with it.

Indiana Jones is a perfect example. Every Indy movie falls to pieces if you try to look at it "logically". The suspension of disbelief really gets stretched a lot, especially with the supernatural/religious/sci-fi elements and crazy moments like the jumping mine car or nuked fridge. I embrace the disbelief rather than suspend it. It's more fun that way. :D

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
mattzilla2010 said:
I never said the Transformers movies weren't stupid (I find them to be very stupid actually), but just because something clearly isn't real, and never could be, isn't a valid reason to hate it in my opinion.

Some movies aren't meant to be looked at logically - they're an escape from reality into a dream world. With movies like this I throw believability aside and just go with it. As long as the story sets rules for itself and follows those rules consistently I'm fine with it.

Indiana Jones is a perfect example. Every Indy movie falls to pieces if you try to look at it "logically". The suspension of disbelief really gets stretched a lot, especially with the supernatural/religious/sci-fi elements and crazy moments like the jumping mine car or nuked fridge. I embrace the disbelief rather than suspend it. It's more fun that way. :D

Movies are supposed to make sense. You need narrative logic as the basis of a film otherwise it would a random string of images.

If you do the set-up work of logic in either, fantasyor sci-fi you will then be able to use that to keep the suspension of disbelief provided you don't do anything too wacky.

If it is done poorly, as in KOTCS, it can destroy the movie experiance and the audience and their belief is lost.

mattzilla2010

JuniorJones said:
You need narrative logic as the basis of a film otherwise it would a random string of images.
Of course you do. That's why I said:

mattzilla2010 said:
As long as the story sets rules for itself and follows those rules consistently I'm fine with it.
But narrative logic is very different from what I am trying to talk about. I guess I would call it "real life" or "common sense" logic - i.e. that giant alien robots are an impossibility. Well of course they are, as far as we know.

The problem I have with that is people using it as a basis to declare a movie to be "stupid". A movie may set up its own version of the universe, set certain rules, and execute the story perfectly within the parameters of that universe and those rules, and some people will still call it stupid because it could not happen in our reality. That's the type of thing I'm criticizing.

JuniorJones said:
If you do the set-up work of logic in either, fantasyor sci-fi you will then be able to use that to keep the suspension of disbelief provided you don't do anything too wacky.
Yes, I agree.

JuniorJones said:
If it is done poorly, as in KOTCS, it can destroy the movie experiance and the audience and their belief is lost.
I don't think KOTCS did it poorly, but yes, proper set-up work is essential in a fantasy/sci-fi first act.

shazamtd

shazamtd said:
This girl sounds a little like my dad. His imagination is limited by his practicallity. His one word review of Star Wars without ever seeing it is, "Stupid."
In his defense, my dad did see Raiders back when it was first playing. The only thing he liked was that, unlike the usual action hero, Indy got his butt kicked.
mattzilla2010 said:
That point of view simply baffles me. I mean, it's fiction so clearly it's... well, fictional. Do these people only watch documentaries? Read only biographies, scientific journals and newspapers? It makes my brain hurt trying to figure out how someone could dislike a fantasy/sci-fi work because it lacks realism.

I guess it's like you said, Henry W, some people just have no imagination.
I don't think it's a lack of imagination as much as it is personal taste. I think Transformers is stupid without ever seeing it because it's not to my tastes. I'm just as guilty as my dad is. I should have explained myself better in my previous post.

To get back on topic I can't think of anyone I know right now or have met recently who haven't seen any ofo the Indiana Jones movies.

mattzilla2010

shazamtd said:
I should have explained myself better in my previous post.
Woulda been nice. :p I unfortunately do have a friend who suffers from a severe lack of imagination, so I was venting about him mostly... but you're right, we should get back on topic. :hat:

One of my friends has never seen the Indy movies... but the situation is being remedied! We showed her Raiders and she liked it quite a lot, so we'll be moving on to Temple soon. (y)

jcsites

shazamtd said:
Does anyone here know anybody who has never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies?
I know a guy from work who is 24 years old and has never seen any of the films and I just wondered if there was anyone here who also knows someone who hasn't seen them.
My secretary haven't seen any of the movie. I suggest her to watch even just one movie of Indiana Jones.

we were born to succeed, no to fail

IndyJones5183

No,I haven't met anyone who has never heard of Indiana Jones,but how did you handle it though when explaining it to them,then they watch it and then they didn't like the movies?

Henry W Jones

IndyJones5183 said:
No,I haven't met anyone who has never heard of Indiana Jones,but how did you handle it though when explaining it to them,then they watch it and then they didn't like the movies?

You deal with it. Its just a movie. Everyone has individual taste. You can't make people like what they don't like. I'm sure there are plenty of things others are into that you think are lame. Art is a subjective thing. ;)

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
That point of view simply baffles me. I mean, it's fiction so clearly it's... well, fictional. Do these people only watch documentaries? Read only biographies, scientific journals and newspapers? It makes my brain hurt trying to figure out how someone could dislike a fantasy/sci-fi work because it lacks realism. :confused:

I guess it's like you said, Henry W, some people just have no imagination.
Mattzilla, this reminds me that one of my best friends has never seen any "Star Wars" movie completely. He has seen bits & pieces here and there but never an entire film and he doesn't want to. Science fiction doesn't interest him. Things that do are sports, guitar, dogs and movies that take place on earth with real-world situations. When we were teens, he would make fun of "Star Wars" all the time, ESPECIALLY the little, green muppet that sounded live Grover from "Sesame Street"!:D

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that my brother's wife didn't know the difference between "Star Wars" and "Star Trek". To her, they were both just 'outer space stuff' which, quite simply, does not float her boat.

Raiders90

Yes, I've met quite a few actually who have never seen any of the movies. I was shocked the first time, I thought pretty much everybody had seen Indy.

mattzilla2010

Stoo said:
Mattzilla, this reminds me that one of my best friends has never seen any "Star Wars" movie completely. He has seen bits & pieces here and there but never an entire film and he doesn't want to. Science fiction doesn't interest him. Things that do are sports, guitar, dogs and movies that take place on earth with real-world situations. When we were teens, he would make fun of "Star Wars" all the time, ESPECIALLY the little, green muppet that sounded live Grover from "Sesame Street"!:D

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that my brother's wife didn't know the difference between "Star Wars" and "Star Trek". To her, they were both just 'outer space stuff' which, quite simply, does not float her boat.
Well, different strokes as they say... but I really feel like you're depriving yourself of some great stuff if you limit your fiction to "realistic" subject matter.

But everyone should at least know the basic difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. That's just unacceptable. ;)

Raiders112390 said:
Yes, I've met quite a few actually who have never seen any of the movies. I was shocked the first time, I thought pretty much everybody had seen Indy.
Same here. It seems like most everybody has heard of Indiana Jones, but very few have actually seen any of the movies.

Stoo

mattzilla2010 said:
But everyone should at least know the basic difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. That's just unacceptable. ;)
Heh!:D Agreed. I was shocked when the words came out of her mouth.

Today, I found out that my 35-year-old, Tunisian buddy at work has never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies because they don't interest him. He even grimaced at the mention of the name!:eek:

(However, he is going to watch "Raiders" to help out with deciphering the Egyptian Diggers' Song).(y)

EvilEmperorZoRG

Only a friend who hasn't seen the Raiders, but he doesn't like Indiana Jones anyway {idiot :D }.
Even my friend's 7 years old brother know him. He knows him from TV, besides Kingdom of the Crystal Skull which he saw on DVD. Indiana Jones is regular on TV here, at least 2 times a year. The whole franchise.:whip: