Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
I made a stop at the local BD store here to look for "Adèle Blanc-Sec" and they didn't have any. Apparently, they are too "old" and would have to order them. I *did* find Jacques Tardi's classic, "Putain de Guerre" (which basically translates as "War Whore"!:eek:) as well as 3 volumes of Corto and even a figure/picture frame of him. They are all quite pricey, though.

Yeah, Mlle. Blanc-sec was "new" in the late seventies. Messrs. Tardi & Besson were at Salon du Livre in Paris last Sunday, and were autographing copies of what appeared to be a new book. In reality though, it's probably the cover art wrapped around the original couple of stories to tie in with the movies release. I only had a couple glances at it, but it looks nice. Might be worth exploring.

Which Corto volumes? And they shouldn't be more than twenty euros each. I forget exactly what I paid, but I think it was less, around 17 maybe. Feel free to email me.

Ah, "Putain de Guerre"! I confess to having never read it, but the artwork was great. I'll have to pick it up in the near future.

Stoo said:
You might have thought of Verne because of our private conversations. I am a voracious Verne fan and absolutely love all incarnations of Doyle's "The Lost World". At the end of the original novel, a pterodactyl escapes from the Royal Zoological Society which I am reminded of when watching this trailer.

That's definitely possible. And I've read "The Lost World," so, yes, I remember the pterodactyl escaping. I thought they did an excellent job for the most part in the Bob Hoskins-led movie, too.

Stoo said:
Because there are no heroes with super-powers in it?:confused: Being French might have something to do with it, too.

Probably. Being French, too. This is more likely considering that if we do get it here Stateside, it'll be a year or two down the road. It'll also be horribly dubbed, and released unceremoniously. If it doesn't get released, it'll be a DVD job.

We've discussed this before, and here's what I think is the main reason: It's not an Indiana Jones movie, therefore they can't be bothered with it. Their collective interest in the genre doesn't extend past The Man in the Hat.

Stoo said:
In any case, the more screentime this guy gets, the more I'm going to like it:

25845_384939761672_210599156672_4223141_7581753_n.jpg

He does look pretty cool! I wonder if he's related to the hunter in Jumanji? ;)

Rocket Surgeon said:
I wasn't implying there was anything wrong...merely relaying a childs impressions, and likely one you'll hear in the coming days.

Where would these impressions come from? I don't think US-children will have the opportunity to see this movie, and nor do I really want them to. I wouldn't mind if teenagers (13-18) got to see it, but we'll have to see what eventually does happen.

26197_391806786672_210599156672_4261244_7576067_n.jpg

This hat is great.

25845_384939536672_210599156672_4223138_5468327_n.jpg

26197_390844036672_210599156672_4236110_3570909_n.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
I made a stop at the local BD store here to look for "Adèle Blanc-Sec" and they didn't have any. Apparently, they are too "old" and would have to order them.

Upon further research, it looks like FNAC, Editions Casterman, & Europa Corp are having an exposition at thirteen shops around Paris beginning April 1st. You'll also be able to buy some of Tardi's signed artwork while there, and explore the parallels between the film and the comics! Oh, and there will be postcards included with the movie tie-ins!

Stoo, to the trains!

9782203032484.jpg

9782203032453.jpg

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
Probably. Being French, too. This is more likely considering that if we do get it here Stateside, it'll be a year or two down the road. It'll also be horribly dubbed, and released unceremoniously. If it doesn't get released, it'll be a DVD job.

I can't imagine that this film won't get at least a token US release at some point.

I would definitely like to see this on one the silver screen.

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
I can't imagine that this film won't get at least a token US release at some point.

Brotherhood of the Wolf also received a token release. Fortunately, I was fortunate enough to see it at a film festival, and saw the French cut and French language. The US release was chopped up, and poorly dubbed. I expect the same amount of care and attention paid to this one. While it does seem to have global appeal, I have about as much faith in the domestic audience as you do.

Lance Quazar said:
I would definitely like to see this on one the silver screen.

You and me both. I may adjust some plans and fly out to France. We'll see!

25845_384964996672_210599156672_4223151_7709141_n.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
Where would these impressions come from? I don't think US-children will have the opportunity to see this movie, and nor do I really want them to. I wouldn't mind if teenagers (13-18) got to see it, but we'll have to see what eventually does happen.

He saw the trailer, others I would imagine see comercials on television.

Doesn't the young fellow look like Heath Ledger?

Le Saboteur

Rocket Surgeon said:
He saw the trailer, others I would imagine see comercials on television.

If they're in Europe they will. I have no idea how well Night at the Museum fared at the European box office, but with two films to reference, American children will probably make a connection.

Rocket Surgeon said:

He does look a little like the late Mr. Ledger. I think this cat is narrower through the waist than he was, though.

The final poster's been released! This one capitalizes on the first, and continues the implied narrative to its conclusion -- riding the pterodactyl! Overall, I think it's exceptionally well done.

Les_Aventures_Extrodinaires_D%27Adele_Blanc-Sec_final_poster.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed for a domestic release!

Stoo

I Am Adèle Blanc-Sec!

Le Saboteur said:
Upon further research, it looks like FNAC, Editions Casterman, & Europa Corp are having an exposition at thirteen shops around Paris beginning April 1st. You'll also be able to buy some of Tardi's signed artwork while there, and explore the parallels between the film and the comics! Oh, and there will be postcards included with the movie tie-ins!

Stoo, to the trains!
Cool but, nah. I went southbound for the long weekend. (The Alps and Lake Como in Italy.);)

Still haven't seen any advertising for this flick which is odd considering it starts next week. Now that you've shown us the poster, I'm not so crazy about the idea that she rides the flying reptile. Will have to wait to see how it plays out in the movie...HOPEFULLY, it'll show at one of the theatres here. Fingers crossed!
Rocket Surgeon said:
A little bit but I'm finding an uncanny resemblance between these pics below...I AM/HAVE BEEN Mademoiselle Adèle Blanc-Sec!:eek: (minus the pretty face):p

25845_384964996672_210599156672_4223151_7709141_n.jpg

Cairo_05_Giza_32b.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Still haven't seen any advertising for this flick which is odd considering it starts next week. Now that you've shown us the poster, I'm not so crazy about the idea that she rides the flying reptile.

I agree. I'm not overly keen on the idea, but I think it'll turn out okay. We'll see how it'll play out in the movie! Keep us updated on if it makes it to your part of the Continent.

Stoo said:
I'm finding an uncanny resemblance between these pics below...I AM/HAVE BEEN Mademoiselle Adèle Blanc-Sec!:eek: (minus the pretty face):p

Cairo_05_Giza_32b.jpg

I think you might be on to something there, Stoo! And here's a couple more snaps to tide you over. Just look how blue that sky is!

23447_395636356672_210599156672_4353668_1260390_n.jpg

26197_390844051672_210599156672_4236111_4091517_n.jpg

26868_394318776672_210599156672_4314440_999352_n.jpg

Stoo

1st Review

Le Saboteur said:
I agree. I'm not overly keen on the idea, but I think it'll turn out okay. We'll see how it'll play out in the movie! Keep us updated on if it makes it to your part of the Continent.
Just saw this at IMDB. Apparently it premiered a few hours ago at the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival.

"It wasn't bad at all. I just don't see the appeal for anyone but the French/Belgians and those who know Tardi's work. It was a fun movie, reasonably good CGI and a very amusing storyline."
Le Saboteur said:
I think you might be on to something there, Stoo! And here's a couple more snaps to tide you over. Just look how blue that sky is!
Nice!(y) Colour correction? Very stoked for this...

Stoo said:
...but I'm finding an uncanny resemblance between these pics below...I AM/HAVE BEEN Mademoiselle Adèle Blanc-Sec!:eek: (minus the pretty face):p

...alright, I will abort ANY and ALL atempts at ridicule, because I love you so, (for all hetero reasons!), yet I must say you are stretching things to the extreme!

I have high hopes for this film, I hope Luc Beson surpases himself and we are treated to something more substantial than The Fifth Element.

Stoo

Honestly, my dear Rocket, feel free to ridicule me as much as you please! I probably deserve it.:p (You have to admit, though, those shots are quite similar.)

Just saw a poster for this flick at one of the cinemas in town. It is a close-up, side shot of Adèle (in her plumed hat) and the bird staring at each other face-to-face. The caption translates as, "One of these two is going to lose some feathers." 4 days to go!

P.S. Found the image after a quick search:

Blanc-Sec_poster-2.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Just saw this at IMDB. Apparently it premiered a few hours ago at the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival.

Yeah, I read that a while ago. Sounds like a fun festival, and I wish there were more of them around the globe. You should also make a point to check out the Belgian Comic Strip Center when you get the chance!

Stoo said:
"It wasn't bad at all. I just don't see the appeal for anyone but the French/Belgians and those who know Tardi's work. It was a fun movie, reasonably good CGI and a very amusing storyline."

Well, it's a good review. I disagree with the reviewer's suggestion that only the French/Belgians will like it. That's sort of like saying the only people who like the Indy Trilogy are those who like thirties serial pictures, or Universal's Classic Monsters in The Mummy.

Stoo said:
Nice!(y) Colour correction? Very stoked for this...

Despite the ungodly amount of smog that seems to linger over Cairo, there can be some surprisingly blue skies every so often. Though, I'm sure there's been a significant amount of color correction in these scenes. Aren't you glad that the Egyptian government was forbidden from building a freeway through the Giza plateau?

26868_394318751672_210599156672_4314437_6588168_n.jpg

26197_391806791672_210599156672_4261245_249533_n.jpg

26868_393331701672_210599156672_4293658_598562_n.jpg

Stoo said:
Honestly, my dear Rocket, feel free to ridicule me as much as you please! I probably deserve it.:p (You have to admit, though, those shots are quite similar.)

Well you ARE within a mile of each other, so sure...but I hardly require sitting through the trailer again to appreciate HER feminine wiles. :p

Though the cigarette thing is a bit trashy, (understanding french births are liberally tar stained as they aquire the "taste" in utero).

Le Saboteur

Rocket Surgeon said:
Though the cigarette thing is a bit trashy, (understanding french births are liberally tar stained as they acquire the "taste" in utero).

We're going to have to disagree on the cigarette. In the meantime, we've progressed from snaps to clips as the release date approaches! Brush up on your French language skills and have a gander.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwqzLzsb6iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwqzLzsb6iw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

It appears that Mlle. Blanc-sec is also anti-camel.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tO4R8n54rY4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tO4R8n54rY4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Drop in on Europa Corp's Youtube channel for a few more clips!