Why take Old Indy out the equation?

AnnaJones

Just wondering....

Why on earth would they take out the 'modern day'aka 'old' Indy from the video releases of the Young Indy Chronicles (or am I just misunderstanding here...?)

I found the little bits with him not only interesting and imaginative, but funny as well!

Plus, it gives all us rabid Indy fans something to drool over, when we meet his daughter and grandchildren and so on...

-h

00Kevin

Indyfan
the scenes weren't very popular with people

I remember someone once said indy fans don't like seeing indy as an old helpless guy who annoys the heck out of people.

00Kevin

Indyfan
And...

'Welcome to the Raven, the place where the lights never goes out!' copyrighted Tiger Wolf 2002 All Rights Reserved ;)

fixer79

I always thought they were cut when Lucas and Spielberg decided to do another movie, so that there still was a possibility that Indy could get killed in part IV. If the scenes would've been left in, the worst thing that could happen to Jones in the new film would be that somebody poked out his eye.

Quest

00Kevin said:
And...

'Welcome to the Raven, the place where the lights never goes out!' copyrighted Tiger Wolf 2002 All Rights Reserved ;)

i think ive mentioned it before :) "lights" = more than one so it's "go" not "goes" :)

'Welcome to the Raven, the place where the lights never go out!'

bob

I really think that they did it not really for sinister reasons but for the fact that YIJ were turned into TV Movies rather than 1 hour episodes - Old Indy had no place and was not neeeded at the end of the day.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, he was needed for the first part of Oganga. There was no way to know that the little kid would grow up to be a world leader without him.

Indy 4

The Old Indy may be out of the VHS tapes. But one episode still has a "older" Indy, remember the Mystery of the Blues episode with Harrison Ford guest starring. They still have him in the VHS tape, still telling his Native American friend about his memory of working in Chicago. I was surprised they took the old Indy out. But I'm sure GLAD they kept Harrison Ford in the Mystery of the Blues.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Quest said:
00Kevin said:
And...

i think ive mentioned it before :) "lights" = more than one so it's "go" not "goes" :)

'Welcome to the Raven, the place where the lights never go out!'

right here:

http://www.theraider.net/theraven/showthread.php?threadid=2783

(I know, but if I said your version, It wouldn't be the origonal from Tigerwolf, it would be QueZtone's rip-off version, even more of a rip-off then triple X and tomb raider combined)

anywho, here' the new one form 00Kevin(dat's me :D):

Welcome to the Raven, Were Paths Cross

(Copyright 00Kevin 2003, all rights reserved ;))

Quest

you mean "Where" :D

and on topic: on the dvd's I'd like a feature where you can click to turn the old man's introductions on and off. So that we have both versions. :) I guess they'll just go for dvds without the old indy.

DEE

GEORGE HALL a.k.a. OLD INDY

When they decided to put some of the episodes onto Video/DVD. I was abit taken aback that they did not included to very cute little snippets with very old Indy (complete with eyepatch) confronting some poor soul to regale them with his exploits.

Minnesota Jones

I never cared for old Indy. He reminded me of a very old Forrest Gump, retelling his tales to whoever he saw. Not the future I wanted to see for our hero Indy. It would have been better with a narrator as an old Indy, heard, but not seen. Seeing him just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. But a narrator recollecting, but not giving away any future details (like grandkids, eye's being slashed out) would have worked much better. I did like Harry in Mystery of the Blues thou...

Randy_Flagg

Anyway, I don't know about you, but if I lived Indy's life, I'd be far more likely to blab about finding the Holy Grail than I would be to blab about the boring stories told in YIJ.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
Anyway, I don't know about you, but if I lived Indy's life, I'd be far more likely to blab about finding the Holy Grail than I would be to blab about the boring stories told in YIJ.

How do we know he didn't? Either he figures people wouldn't believe him, or he did tell people, but they didn't include them in the series. Or, for that matter, include Old Indy in the trilogy.

Goodsport

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Old Indy absolutely rocked! :cool: It's a shame that his bits were taken out of the VCR tapes (hopefully they'll be included in the DVD versions).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Unfortunately, though, George Hall (the actor who played Old Indy) passed away a little while ago. :(

-G

Whipper

I remember someone once said indy fans don't like seeing indy as an old helpless guy who annoys the heck out of people.

But he wasn't helpless, and he annoyed people in a Good way. A really fun, sarcastic way. For me in the audience, anyway. After all he's been through and learned over the years, Old Indy's not afraid to call people on their pettiness and bull****. There are great morality lessons in his stories. I liked how he wound up shaming the dismissive guy at the hospital into being a hero for that little girl who was shot by donating his blood. "I hate needles," he mutters. [Looks at Indy] "You know, I wish I'd never met you." Indy [smirking]: "I have that effect on people." I like the notion that he'd grow to be this friendly curmudgeon in his old age, with his spirit and spunk undiminished.

Indy didn't make any impact on that "Pirate Of Wall Street" character on the airplane ride, but at least he got to chew him out in the teaser over his lack of regard for all the little people whose livelihoods he's destroying. (He was going to buy the airline Indy's been using for 50 years and break it apart and sell the pieces off.)

I remember liking a narrative device where he's at a museum on Russian history and sees a picture of himself (very tiny--only Indy and we know it's him) running towards the massacare in St. Petersburg Square in 1917.

Once I got used to seeing him, and hearing a new actor voicing an adult, very aged Indy, the Old Indy segments were keen. He added a lot of extra nuancing to the stories, I like how he filled us in on some of the backstory/futurestory and state of mind of Young Indy as well as some historical info. He set the stage and summed it all up with little pearls of wisdom each week in those bookend segments. Several episodes definitely Suffer without the bookends.

And I'd guess that the Scandals Of 1920 film just proved too difficult to rework for release without including the elder Indy. I sure hope to see it on DVD, because it's one of the funniest of the bunch, with Indy scrambling around NYC maintaining romantic affairs with three women at the same time, while also working behind the scenes on a broadway musical. It's a great homage to Broadway and Gershwin music too.

I also really appreciated seeing that Old Indy still really got around. He was healthy and not bound to a wheelchair or bed. He still had his independence, taking care of himself, travelling all the time, giving lectures and so forth. I like the bits of info we got about his modern day life, like in the bookend for the London--May 1916 episode: Indy is in a restaraunt having dinner with his accountant and being lectured about his spending and how he's being threatened by the IRS and so forth. "What the IRS fails to understand is how, at your age, you can continue to accumulate the same level of expenses as you did when you were in your prime!" And then in the closing segment, of course, it turns out the woman whose voice he was hearing in the background is Vicky, (played by Jane Wyatt) his first love from the Young Indy story he just told!

I always thought they were cut when Lucas and Spielberg decided to do another movie, so that there still was a possibility that Indy could get killed in part IV. If the scenes would've been left in, the worst thing that could happen to Jones in the new film would be that somebody poked out his eye.

From the look of that scar, more like Ripped out with a vicious swipe from a jagged edge! I think that would be pretty intense, actually. That's certainly a bit of one-upmanship over prior films, for Indy to not only get the stuffing pounded out of him as usual, but to lose a damn Eyeball, and yet still keep his wits about him well enough to triumph over whatever nasty situation he's in and save the day and the girl and the artifact. Or just win the satisfaction of saving the world again even if no one else will ever know about it. (If it didn't happen in hand-to- hand combatting, or torture, maybe it was it was caused by shrapnel from an explosion.)

I think a high percentage of the moviegoers would still be quite shocked to witness something like that, even if a few fans already remember the Old Indy foreshadowing from 1992. And making it part of the fourth film would only make the DVD release of the Chronicles with the Old Indy segments restored all the more gripping, because we just came from seeing it happen to him in Indy IV.

I wonder how these Old Indy segments would have come off had George Lucas gone with his first thought--having Harrison Ford perform them. Hm...given Lucas's penchant for making bizarre changes to his films, I wonder if he'd pay for Harrison to play Old Indy after all and insert Him into the DVD releases?

Personally, I ultimately thought George Hall was the better choice. You didn't need a ton of old age makeup and latex because Hall had the authenticity of being an old man already. (Okay, only in his late 60s instead of his 90s, but that seems much easier to pull off than making up Harrison to look that old at that time. I suppose today they could create a much more Sophisticated version of an ancient Harrison makeover today with a little digital wizardry.)

[Edited by Whipper on 04-12-2003 at 04:16 am]

DEE

George Hall

I am sorry I did not hear about Mr. Hall's passing away. I really enjoyed his part in the t.v. show, and those who discovered it on video instead is truly cheated a gifted actor in a very hard role. I mean, Indiana Jones! All eyes where on these actors, but to be very old Indy...hey!

Avilos

I think the only real reason the old Indy stuff was cut was that the videos were made in chronological order. Because those scenes where only commenting on others events, it would have been hard to edit them together into their own movie. I think people are reading to much into it, if they think it is anything else. I am sure they will show up on the DVDs in some way. The Mystery of the Blues footage of Harrison Ford was left in because it was to big a selling point for that one. Infact the new version of Scandals Of 1920 was shown on USA Newtork a couple of years ago with the other ones not yet released on video.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
So far they've made all the right moves in consolidating the YIJC. It would be nice to see all the Old Indy bookends together, which would probably run less than an hour. If someone suggested they contained hints of what happens in Indy 4, fans would analyze the heck out of the DVD they were on!