Wested vs. Todd's

deckard24

I've seen plenty of discussions regarding these two jacket manufacturers and their products, spring up in other threads. So, I thought it was about time that there was a thread devoted to solely discussing the pros and cons of both Wested and Todd's.

More than ever I want an Indy jacket, and up until this point I really didn't have the resources to get one. Well now I do, and I'm seriously planning on ordering one in the next few weeks. But, once again the old dilemma of which jacket to choose is rearing its ugly head. I've been over to C.O.W., and their resources are great, but a little too vast and overwhelming to really process. I always end up leaving more confused and questioning what I really want. There's so much to decide between: price, fit(80's, standard, or custom), movie jacket style (ROTLA, TOD, and LC), leather choice(lambskin, goat, horsehide, or cowhide), color(authentic brown, dark, predistressed), and screen accuracy.

So what do you guys have, or are planning to buy? Which of the jackets do you feel is better, and why? Lastly if you do have a jacket or jackets, please post pics so we can all see what is out there?:hat:

Katarn07

Well, you know my opinion on Todd's as a functional jacket. If you want a leather windbreaker, I suppose that's your best bet. The fit was perfect for me, I just didn't like the feel and thickness of it.

I'd like to hear the comparisons between Wested and US Wings myself so if anyone owns the latter, don't hesitate in sharing your thoughts/pics.

deckard24

Katarn07 said:
Well, you know my opinion on Todd's as a functional jacket. If you want a leather windbreaker, I suppose that's your best bet. The fit was perfect for me, I just didn't like the feel and thickness of it.

I'd like to hear the comparisons between Wested and US Wings myself so if anyone owns the latter, don't hesitate in sharing your thoughts/pics.
You know it's too late, but maybe the thread should have been titled Wested vs. Todd's vs. U.S. Wings!

If any mods can help out with this, it would be appreciated!:hat:

Inbanana

And... just to confuse things even more... I've seen a lot of good reviews of Flightsuits' Expedition Jacket over at COW and Indylounge...

I'm happy with the screen accuracy Todd's, but I agree, I'd rather have a thicker leather like goat or cow for a more durable "real world" jacket that I can also wear in colder weather...

deckard24

Inbanana said:
And... just to confuse things even more... I've seen a lot of good reviews of Flightsuits' Expedition Jacket over at COW and Indylounge...

I'm happy with the screen accuracy Todd's, but I agree, I'd rather have a thicker leather like goat or cow for a more durable "real world" jacket that I can also wear in colder weather...
That's a pretty nice looking jacket, but damn it's nearly $500!(n)

Yeah, this thread need to be retitled Wested vs. Todd's vs. U.S. Wings vs. Flightsuits! LOL

eazybox

First you should decide what you want most in a jacket and how you are going to use it.

If you are going to work outside in it or wear it on long hikes, etc., you would need the heavier hides like cow or horse.

If you just want a jacket that looks exactly like Indy's, your choice is simpler. Todd is the only one who has the original pattern. It's a long story how he ended up with it, but you can find it at COW if interested. And I have found that Todd's service can't be beat.

The Flightsuits Expedition was developed directly from a screen-used stunt jacket owned by Terry Leonard. This jacket would probably be a good compromise between accuracy and functionality. Todd's jackets were developed using this jacket as a reference, and he researched and refined his further to make them even more screen accurate.

Tony Nowak's jacket will also be screen accurate for KOTCS.

US Wings made the jackets for Temple Of Doom, but that was a long time ago when they were called Cooper Sportswear. Anyone who owns the officially licensed Cooper jacket from 1989 should have a very accurate TOD jacket.

Wested made the jackets for Raiders and Last Crusade. Their Last Crusade jackets are probably their best. They seem to appeal a lot to hobbyists who like to buy a new jacket every few months and mix & match different features. Many people swear by them but others, including myself, have had problems not only with their customer service but with the quality of construction of their jackets. Wested is a roll of the dice, in my opinion. Maybe since some people have started complaining loudly on COW they have cleaned up their act a little; I don't know.

I've heard rumors that there will be an officially licensed Indy jacket for KOTCS, but don't know if that's true or who the manufacturer will be.

So, there's lots of choices out there; you just have to figure out which will best fit your needs and your personality.

Jack

deckard24

As always thanks Jack!

I've been torn for quite a while between the Raiders Wested and the Todd's standard! I want a jacket I can wear in cold weather (15-35 degrees) with a sweater on under it, and by itself in 40-50 degree weather. I have a lambskin good-enough Indy jacket by Wilsons, that holds up in cold weather around the 30 degree mark, but under that it's just not warm enough! Would the thicker hides like horse, goat, or cow improve the warmth?

Because of this I'm afraid the Todd's just won't do! I want a jacket I can have for a while, and that will hold up, not a thin leather windbreaker! I really like the look of the Todd's, but I'm just unsure!

Now on the other hand, Wested's price and customer service issues have kept me wary and ambivalent to dive in on a $300 plus custom jacket. I'm willing to spend the dough, but I just want to make the best decision and not rush into it.

eazybox

deckard24 said:
As always thanks Jack!

I've been torn for quite a while between the Raiders Wested and the Todd's standard! I want a jacket I can wear in cold weather (15-35 degrees) with a sweater on under it, and by itself in 40-50 degree weather. I have a lambskin good-enough Indy jacket by Wilsons, that holds up in cold weather around the 30 degree mark, but under that it's just not warm enough! Would the thicker hides like horse, goat, or cow improve the warmth?

Because of this I'm afraid the Todd's just won't do! I want a jacket I can have for a while, and that will hold up, not a thin leather windbreaker! I really like the look of the Todd's, but I'm just unsure!

Now on the other hand, Wested's price and customer service issues have kept me wary and ambivalent to dive in on a $300 plus custom jacket. I'm willing to spend the dough, but I just want to make the best decision and not rush into it.

Well, I can only advise you from my own experience with Wested, which has been bad. The last problem I had, they could have rectified extremely easily but never did, even though I informed Peter about it. One other guy got a jacket from them with arms that were darker colored than the rest of the jacket. I saw photos of it and it looked like a varsity jacket. He apparently sent the jacket back to them a couple of times at his own expense trying to get the problem fixed, and they just returned it to him unworked on saying they thought it looked good enough.

This sort of thing, which happens with them regularly, is why I said I think Wested is a roll of the dice. They do have many loyal customers who seem willing to forgive Peter almost anything, though. I've read posts that go something like, "Peter really botched up my last jacket badly-- isn't that cute? I'll have to order a new one right away and see if I have better luck next time." These guys are the hobbyists who buy one jacket after another, and I guess they provide Wested with enough business that they don't have much incentive to improve their service.

If I were you, I'd lock on to US Wings. They have a great assortment of different hides, including the cow or goat which would probably be warm enough in the winter if layered.

Jack

Katarn07

Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on US Wings myself. They're better winter jackets compared to Wested's cowhide according to a few members at COW that actually own both. One particular poster lives in Chicago so that pretty much gives me an idea of how thick it is!

Once I have the money, that's the one I'll get. The only question for me right now is do I want vintage cowhide or VIP cowhide. Your opinions? Also, what's the difference (if anyone knows) between "regular" and "longs?" Is that the length of the coat or what?

eazybox

Katarn07 said:
Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on US Wings myself. They're better winter jackets compared to Wested's cowhide according to a few members at COW that actually own both. One particular poster lives in Chicago so that pretty much gives me an idea of how thick it is!

Once I have the money, that's the one I'll get. The only question for me right now is do I want vintage cowhide or VIP cowhide. Your opinions? Also, what's the difference (if anyone knows) between "regular" and "longs?" Is that the length of the coat or what?

The VIP does not have the built-in aged look that the vintage cowhide does; the VIP is more dressy, the vintage would look more like its already been through a few adventures, even when new.

Yes, regular & long refer to jacket length; the long sizes are for taller people.

Jack

Mr. Z

I just ordered a jacket, shirt, and pants from Wested, and after reading these posts, I'm starting to get a tad nervous! I just want a great looking outfit for Halloween. :whip:

Indy_Forever

From what i've seen, i'd go with Wested. that's the one i like but for like insulation stuff i'd go with wested. for asthetics go with wested:gun:

Eric Solo

eazybox said:
First you should decide what you want most in a jacket and how you are going to use it.

If you are going to work outside in it or wear it on long hikes, etc., you would need the heavier hides like cow or horse.

If you just want a jacket that looks exactly like Indy's, your choice is simpler. Todd is the only one who has the original pattern. It's a long story how he ended up with it, but you can find it at COW if interested. And I have found that Todd's service can't be beat.

The Flightsuits Expedition was developed directly from a screen-used stunt jacket owned by Terry Leonard. This jacket would probably be a good compromise between accuracy and functionality. Todd's jackets were developed using this jacket as a reference, and he researched and refined his further to make them even more screen accurate.

Tony Nowak's jacket will also be screen accurate for KOTCS.

US Wings made the jackets for Temple Of Doom, but that was a long time ago when they were called Cooper Sportswear. Anyone who owns the officially licensed Cooper jacket from 1989 should have a very accurate TOD jacket.

Wested made the jackets for Raiders and Last Crusade. Their Last Crusade jackets are probably their best. They seem to appeal a lot to hobbyists who like to buy a new jacket every few months and mix & match different features. Many people swear by them but others, including myself, have had problems not only with their customer service but with the quality of construction of their jackets. Wested is a roll of the dice, in my opinion. Maybe since some people have started complaining loudly on COW they have cleaned up their act a little; I don't know.

I've heard rumors that there will be an officially licensed Indy jacket for KOTCS, but don't know if that's true or who the manufacturer will be.

So, there's lots of choices out there; you just have to figure out which will best fit your needs and your personality.

Jack

I agree with jack about Wested. In my experience they are hit or miss in terms of quality. I ordered two jackets from them and I was happy with the lambskin but unhappy with the distressed cowhide. The cowhide one was way too short, e.g. the side entry pockets are so high up I have trouble getting my hands in there. The cowhide had some obvious imperfections in the leather.

I just ordered a Todd's jacket and shirt.
Someone mentioned that Todd's jacket feels like a windbreaker, but it seems to me that the raiders jacket really was like that. I guess you would want it to be a light jacket if you were going to wear the thing in a hot jungle or desert. ;)

The Magic Rat

Lot of Wested hate. Mine is fine, not spectacular but a great jacket to wear all day out on the street.

US Wings is definitely better, but you pay for it.

That said, I beat the hell out of the Wested wearing it all the time and for that purpose it works quite well.

eazybox

The Magic Rat said:
Lot of Wested hate. Mine is fine, not spectacular but a great jacket to wear all day out on the street.

That said, I beat the hell out of the Wested wearing it all the time and for that purpose it works quite well.

Personally, I don't "hate" Wested or anyone else; I just think there is a lot of room for improvement in their customer service, compared with other jacket dealers.

Jack

mfisher

I scored a US Wings over a year ago when they had a sale on them for 75 bucks.. ( CAN"T beat that !!!) I wear mine all the time at work so it has gone through plenty of foot pursuits and taken the daily beating out in the field.. ( and it shows looking at it..) But I am happy with it.. I had wanted a Wested for years but just held off b/c of funds.. when the Wings hit at 75 bucks though, I had to pick that deal up before it was gone.. and I have been very happy with mine.. (have worn it all winter without any insulation issues too)

Eric Solo

The Magic Rat said:

I don't hate Wested. I like wested and I'm satisfied with all of the items I bought from them. Especially the lambskin jacket.

Gemma is very nice. Good customer service and prompt delivery.

The only problem I had was with the cowhide jacket. I don't recommend that one. TOO heavy. And there were imperfections in the leather in the pre-distressed cowhide, (e.g. a dotted line where the pre-distressing was not complete).

eazybox

Good, reliable customer service is a critical factor in my decision whether or not I will deal with a company. For me, Wested has fallen way short in that area. One small example (there are more):

I bought a jacket from Wested some time ago that had the incorrect sidestrap hardware. Peter had mentioned this on COW and offered to replace the hardware free to anyone who asked.

I emailed Wested and received a response from Gemma saying she was sending me the 4 sliders needed. A short time later, I received a torn envelope with only 1 slider inside. I informed Gemma about it, and she told me she would replace the replacements, and even include 2 additional sliders this time, for a total of 6.

I received another torn envelope with only 1 slider in it.

I then told Peter about it, and he not only did nothing, but just about accused me (on a public forum) of lying about it. This is not unusual; if you frequent COW, you will find volumes of material like this.

Could what happened to me with the torn envelopes have been a freak accident? Well, not too long ago another Wested customer on COW reported almost exactly the same thing happening to him-- being told he was being sent a set of sliders, and receiving an empty envelope. You can connect the dots.

I don't hate Wested, but I'll never buy anything else from them-- and why should I, when there are great jacket makers with TERRIFIC customer service--like Todd and Tony Nowak?

Jack

Inbanana

Since my Todds, I've picked up a Nowak CS and a Wested ToD... and so far the Wested has definitely been my favorite. I just filled out the online order form with my measurements and recieved a perfectly fitting jacket (and I believe one of the most accurate out there at a fraction of the price of some of the other vendors)... I guess I'm just one of the few lucky ones who didn't have an issue ordering from them. On the other hand, since last year I've had mixed results with Todds customer service, but I still like his jacket, its kind of become my "beater" jacket since its so inexpensive (at least comparatively) that I don't mind if something happens to it...