Which Indy film is the best?

Out of all the films, which one is definitively the best?

• Total voters

Djd1

I consider myself a huge indy fan but I thought that CS was an appalling film. Ive become a little tired of being told that makes me a "hater" and not a real fan...
If I wasn't a fan I wouldn't care about CS being a pile of poop.

Henry W Jones

kongisking said:
Sigh, for heaven's sake, Montana. Why can't you just understand the perspective of folks like Henry W Jones and me? Here you are, openly admitting you're not a fan of the character or the series, at least as much as the rest of us...and yet you hang around here doing almost nothing but either making admittedly very funny jokes and non-sequiters, or mocking Kingdom of the Crystal Skull/any other flaws of the series/other Raveners/etc. You may be in denial about it, but your have no business being on this site if that's how you act and think. You're just being a killjoy for us who actually do care about the character, and its very rude.

And just for once, it would be lovely if you were willing to be a man and admit this. But you refuse to even acknowledge this simple fact. And so this is just going to keep going on forever, at least until you get forcibly removed or you just tire of poking us. I'll be honest, in some ways I share opinions and tastes of yours, and kinda like your sense of humor, but you don't belong here. And by staying, you give the impression of sticking around purely to insult and condescend our community. That's a tool move, man.

P.S. Why on Earth don't the moderators ever confront Smiffy about it? You're the 'top men' in charge of policing this whole damn site, and you're blatantly allowing this party-crasher to run wild and **** us off?

And yes, I'm American, so I'm very used to openly calling out authority figures. Where I come from, we're allowed to.

Oh, yeah, the topic. Well, I'm currently of the opinion that Raiders is the best of the films, for just being the right balance of what an Indy movie needs, but Temple of Doom is my personal favorite for being so unique, ballsy, thrilling and feeling the most pulp-y of the adventures.

He shouldn't be removed. We should just ignore him. He comes to this site and posts on it everyday, so, while not being a "fan" on the films, he is an addict of this website like a moth to a flame or a junkie to drugs. If he wants to rant about an old movie obsessively and go to a website he said to me "has so many morons as members", so be it. Just ignore him. That is why I barely frequent this site anymore. I love the Indiana Jones series but I'm not a huge fan of arguments with people who have nothing positive to say. I actually feel a little sorry for him to honest. To go to a site and talk about something you don't care about so consistently is a bit off. We should pity him. On topic, Raiders is the best!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mickiana

Henry W Jones said:
He shouldn't be removed. We should just ignore him. He comes to this site and posts on it everyday, so, while not being a "fan" on the films, he is an addict of this website like a moth to a flame or a junkie to drugs. If he wants to rant about an old movie obsessively and go to a website he said to me "has so many morons as members", so be it. Just ignore him. That is why I barely frequent this site anymore. I love the Indiana Jones series but I'm not a huge fan of arguments with people who have nothing positive to say. I actually feel a little sorry for him to honest. To go to a site and talk about something you don't care about so consistently is a bit off. We should pity him. On topic, Raiders is the best!!!!!!

"We should just ignore him." But you are free to do that anyway and you don't. You can't resist taking the bait. If you really wanted to follow your own advice you wouldn't have written that last post. Practise what you preach. Hang on, don't preach to start with.

And don't stop participating in this site just because you disagree with someone. Disagreement is heart of Artisitic/Literary Criticism: "When the critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself." -Oscar Wilde

And I agree with you, Raiders is the best. In fact, it is the Indiana Jones canon. All other is tag-ons and banking on Raiders' success (please argue that one with me).

Henry W Jones

Mickiana said:
"We should just ignore him." But you are free to do that anyway and you don't. You can't resist taking the bait. If you really wanted to follow your own advice you wouldn't have written that last post. Practise what you preach. Hang on, don't preach to start with.

And don't stop participating in this site just because you disagree with someone. Disagreement is heart of Artisitic/Literary Criticism: "When the critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself." -Oscar Wilde

And I agree with you, Raiders is the best. In fact, it is the Indiana Jones canon. All other is tag-ons and banking on Raiders' success (please argue that one with me).

Since I was speaking to kong I did take my own advise. I haven't posted towards Monty in weeks. Why are you trying to start an argument now? I wouldn't stop coming here just over a disagreement, but I don't like the attitudes from certain individuals. This site has become dull. And your last statement is fact. Why would I argue it? Also, why did you comment? Feel like preaching yourself? Prime example of why I don't frequent often anymore.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Do we need assigned tables now in the Raven? 1/2 of you drink and play at this table, 1/2 of you go over there...stay off the bar, that's for ladies only.

Get it together gentlemen. Seriously.

It's bad enough there's nothing on the horizon, to have to wade through this sort of crap just makes us all look bad.

kongisking

You have a fair point, Mickiana, but my perspective here is based on the general idea of "if someone's here just to mess with us and doesn't really care about the very topic of the group, they are rudely gate-crashing". It's not throwing away democracy just to call out/kick out someone like that.

And as for Saboteur, I'm amused that you think I'm calling for "agreement" or that Smiffy HAS to be as passionate for Indy as I am or anyone else is. He just has to care some sort of a **** about it, in some kind of positive way. When he gives every impression of not caring at all/flat-out disliking the series as it exists now, and can only ever lambast the movies or mock other members. You think I want fascist control of opinions. That's totally wrong.

In the past, yes, I've been militant in defending KOTCS, but now I actually find great enjoyment in having reasonable discussions about its flaws and so on. I in no way want to stamp out dissenters. I just want those dissenters to have some class, some respect for the other side, and to actually care about what they discuss. If I went to a forum for DragonBall Z and wouldn't shut up about how much I dislike a lot of the conventions of anime and the art style...I'd deserve to be called a killjoy and a jackass by those members.

And I actually have tried to ignore/tolerate Smiffy, believe me. But I chimed in on this in this thread since Smiffy openly challenged the mindset that "there's nothing wrong with not being a fan of something and being on a site DEVOTED to the thing and mocking it all the time". When, yes, there's something deeply screwed up there, and its unfair to those of us who genuinely love these movies.

Hope that better explains my stance here. Montana, care to defend yourself?

Mickiana

Hi HWJ, you have read a certain tone into my words that was not there. I'm only after simple discussion. If something is offending you, it might not be the fault of the other person.

Hi Kong, my suggestion is to take any views contrary to your own and embrace them. It doesn't mean agree with them. Hell, if your own views are that strong, surely then they will be fortified by differing outlooks.

I've always taken Montana as very enthusiastic, very witty and occasionally he loves to throw a spanner in the works, but he's not doing it for the sake of being just an agitator. He is saying what he thinks. Perhaps his comments ring too true for you? 'Fan' is a derivative of 'fanatic'.

I was and still am to a certain degree (all to do with age) a fan of Raiders and less so of ToD and LC. And I don't want to get into poor ol' CS's faults right now. We have to remember that we are talking about a bunch of B grade genre adventure flicks with no real important message.

I have found many contrarian views usefully sobering.

kongisking

Mickiana said:
Hi Kong, my suggestion is to take any views contrary to your own and embrace them. It doesn't mean agree with them. Hell, if your own views are that strong, surely then they will be fortified by differing outlooks.

I've always taken Montana as very enthusiastic, very witty and occasionally he loves to throw a spanner in the works, but he's not doing it for the sake of being just an agitator. He is saying what he thinks. Perhaps his comments ring too true for you? 'Fan' is a derivative of 'fanatic'.

I don't have issues with him having a differing opinion. Really, I don't. But it's rather exhausting when he expresses said opinions in such a condescending, this-totally-is-a-joke-so-why-the-hell-should-I-take-others-seriously tone. And if he's not doing it with the intent of being a jackass...that's even worse, because then he's being told that's how it comes across and refuses to fix it whatsoever.

And if anything, the 'fanatic' comment is funny to me, as I actually am NOT fond of the insane devotion some fandoms have. I just take the damn subject seriously enough. And yeah, its sort of insulting that he's here mocking us for liking the series this much...on a site built just for those people.

I ought to try walking up to a Frenchman in Paris and saying, "man, the French are rotten cowards, don't you agree?" You'd deserve the forthcoming punch/slap/kick in the nuts.

P.S. For God's sake, Montana, start chiming in here. I feel bad saying all this stuff behind your back, so-to-speak.

Mickiana

Kong, let it go. :) Sorry, had to use the quote. Seriously though, don't worry about it. Just keep up your love for all things IJ. :gun:

IndyForever

The Last Crusade

Then the other 3 I rate equally all are excellent even KOTCS on reviewing is awesome so much packed into it a terrific Indy movie. Indy 5 + 6 cannot come too soon as long as Harrison/Steven/George are all onboard.

Temple Raider

At Harrison's present age and counting, hopefully by the end of the year at least Indy 5 goes into production and could be out by 2016. I'd like it if they filmed it as a two-part movie.

AndyLGR

Mickiana said:
Raiders is the best. In fact, it is the Indiana Jones canon. All other is tag-ons and banking on Raiders' success (please argue that one with me).
I think thats spot on.

Its hard to put in to words without sounding like a bit of a girl I guess, no offence intended ladies :hat:

Raiders was one of the first films I saw on my dads old top loader VHS back in the mid-80's, when video rental shops were springing up everywhere and everyone was able to have a VHS player at home. Every Saturday evening after getting home from watching football with my dad I was allowed 1 pick of a video from the shop. Most weeks I seemed to pick either Raiders or The Empire Strikes Back and used to flip flop between the two. I wanted to be Indiana Jones :whip: and Han Solo :gun:

Raiders has (for me anyway) such a magical quality about it, great characters, performances, story, action, score, its perfect, almost biblical epic in places too. It sounds stupid to say but I think it goes above just being another action adventure film. Its ones of those moments that we all have in life when you see or hear something that hits you and you think you want to be a part of that forever.

I watch it now and although I may not watch it with the same wonderment and anticipation of what will happen next, it still has the ability to take me back to being 10 years old and enjoying it as pure escapism. If Raiders is on TV I have to watch it, it does not get boring seeing this film.

And as good as TOD and TLC are they are just riding on the coat tails of Raiders.

S. Dakota Jones

AndyLGR said:
I watch it now and although I may not watch it with the same wonderment and anticipation of what will happen next, it still has the ability to take me back to being 10 years old and enjoying it as pure escapism. If Raiders is on TV I have to watch it, it does not get boring seeing this film.

I feel this way about ToD and Raiders. LC, I didnt see until it came out on hbo so while I love watching it, I dont have near as much nostalgia for it.

Temple Raider

You're not alone, I saw Raiders and TOD first but didn't see TLC until years later when I caught it for the first time on the USA Network.

Tibor

Raiders was like lightning in a bottle ... Everything came together to make one of the best movies ever. The others are entertaining visits with a well-loved character.

I've heard it suggested that Raiders, LC, and CS make a perfect trilogy. The outlier is TOD. That said, I still remember how exciting it was when TOD came out in the theaters. All fun movies, but again, for me, Raiders is a class above all the rest.

Temple Raider

I know what you mean. I think Raiders is the best in many ways but TOD is the one I find the most entertaining. In that regard, both are even for me.