Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead

peterlally

Lets face it its going to be delayed because Indy stuff always bloody is. Someone on Lucasfilm wont be happy with the story and it will be going through re-writes. They will probably change the author 8 times and only publish the one that doesnt fit with Indy lore. Im not bitter at all! they probably just put the author on a Star Wars project instead. Bah Humbug|!:dead:

Dr.Sartorius

They will probably change the author 8 times and only publish the one that doesnt fit with Indy lore. Im not bitter at all! they probably just put the author on a Star Wars project instead. Bah Humbug|!

What are you talking about? :confused:

StoneTriple

I'm stoked about both new novels. I'm ok with the delays because it will give me time to finish the last few I still have left of the MacGregor novels. I've read all the McCoy novels. Have no interest in the two by Caidin. I'll reread the McCoy & MacGregor novels next year.

I always keep one or two in my suitcase for when I travel. In fact, I have a trans-Atlantic coming up in two months. I was hoping to have Army Of The Dead by then. Now that it's delayed, I'll just toss the paperback of the Rollins novelization of Kingdom in my bag.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
peterlally said:
Lets face it its going to be delayed because Indy stuff always bloody is. Someone on Lucasfilm wont be happy with the story and it will be going through re-writes. They will probably change the author 8 times and only publish the one that doesnt fit with Indy lore. Im not bitter at all! they probably just put the author on a Star Wars project instead. Bah Humbug|!:dead:

LMAO!!! Probably. Why couldn't they at least humour us by giving an explanation for the delay. I can understand why for MacGregor's adaption, but for this one?

StoneTriple

DIrishB said:
I agree with QB, the title is too large, but I do like the art. Whats in the background to Indy's right? I can't really make it out (even zoomed)...

Prior to a major career change about ten years ago, I had been in graphic arts for over twenty years. I feel the same way about the title. Too large. I also think the font isn't heavy enough. I realize it's the one-sheet font, but it needs weight when it's reduced to a small book cover. I also realize they want it to stand out, but just making the title bigger isn?t the only way to accomplish that. I don't care for the color either ? too yellow and too cool for that artwork.

So, I made some changes. I used the previous novels as guides. I like that the McCoy novels each have a different font because I think it gives them their own identity. I used a heavier font and a warmer color. I also let the artwork bleed, which is something I really like about the Struzan covers. Powell?s style makes that hard enough as it is, but on the real cover they made it worse. They?re starting to lose the whip, lost some of the snake, and the torch is almost gone to the point of looking more like an arched flame.
The Logo and the author's name I kept the same.

This is my version;

AOTD_mockup.jpg

StoneTriple

Here's the actual cover, for reference.

AOTD_actual.jpg

Here are the four McCoy covers I used as a guide.

4Covers.jpg

Last edited:

James

The retouched cover looks fantastic. It feels more like a painting, whereas the original smacks of photoshop. The coloring on the original is also a bit harsh on the eyes.

The font still seems a little off, though. I think it's because of the excess space in between the logo and the rest of the title.

StoneTriple

James said:
The font still seems a little off, though. I think it's because of the excess space in between the logo and the rest of the title.

As Rod Serling used to say; Submitted for your approval... ;)

AOTD_mockup3.jpg

James

Funny what a difference such a tiny change can make. I wasn't 100% convinced about the "Army of the Dead" font you had, but now it looks as though it's always been part of the cover. This is how the hardcover version should look.

Nice work!

StoneTriple

WeAreGoingToDie said:
looks good, though as a creative criticism: The text is pixelated...

That's intentional. I didn't want a perfect font, but at the same time,I also didn't want a goof type face like the White Witch cover, so I left it jagged.

StoneTriple

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Here's my take on the Army of the Dead book cover in a Bantam-style design:

armyofthedead.jpg

Enjoy! :whip:

The style is the only disappointing thing for me with these new Del Rey books. The move away from the full bleed covers used on the Bantam novels seems to be their new theme. I'm just not a fan of the dark artwork floating in a sea of black style. All the covers end up looking alike.

WAGTD, you can see the problem I had with the artwork - there isn't enough of it to bleed without cropping the hell out of it. All of Howell's art is like that. I like his take on Indy, but they're all the same style and color palette.

Powell_Indy.jpg

Last edited:

ROTLA

I don't know if this was listed previously in this thread (didn't have a chance to read ALL of the posts), so I apologize if it was. It seems this will be released in September, not May as previously reported. I could be wrong, but the Del Rey website and Amazon both have it listed for September (Amazon actually has a more specific Sept. 29th). Here are the links:

Del Rey website

Amazon listing

Again, sorry if this was already posted...