Trial of the Chicago 7

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Shortly before Indy 4 hit theaters, Spielberg was preparing a film set eleven years later, in 1968. From Wikipedia:
The WGA strike, which started in November 2007 and lasted 100 days, delayed filming and the project was suspended. Aaron Sorkin was later to continue to rewrite the script for Spielberg, and the director intended to mostly cast unknowns to keep the budget down.
The script to my knowledge has never leaked and the project continues to be kicked around. If it's ever made it may show traces of Spielberg's influence (for instance, the arch enemy in American Sniper). His own interests during that era:
"Staying out of Vietnam and getting my grades to a point where I could retain my student deferment, which is what all students coveted during the Vietnam War. That was also around the time I was sweating out the draft lottery. I had a high number. I was lucky. My immediate political activity was based on self-preservation. I had a draft counselor. I legally did what I could to not go. But if I had to go, I would have gone. That's the truth."

Joe Brody

Fyodor Dostoyevsky said: "The degree of civilisation in a society is revealed by entering its prisons." And I'd submit that goes doubly for suspects on trial.

Judge Hoffman's treatment of Bobby Seale during the Chicago trial was barbaric, and I truly hope this film gets made.

There's a very good account in Tom Hadyn's solid 1988 Reunion. It's long been one of my favorite autobiographies.