A trip to New York....

Hi there folks:hat:
Next week I'll go with my family to NY, we'll stay there for 7 days visiting the Big Apple:)
We've planned to visit National Gallery, the Statue of Liberty, 5th Avenue, Central Park, Hard Rock Cafe, Wall Street and we'll surely spend a day for shopping (I'll go to the Alden Shop and purchase my first Indy boots!).
I'd like to ask you some information about the city, the weather and other non-turistic places that deserve to be visited to gain a full view of this huge metropolis.
Any suggesting is welcome:whip:

bonoferox

Weather shouldn't be too bad until the mid-summer. Spring is generally nice the times I've been there.

I would also recommend the Toys R Us in Times Square, just for the amazement of it. I'm jealous that you're getting to Alden...

Joe Brody

The National Gallery is in Washington DC.

Search the forums, I wrote up some detailed tours and suggested sights for Elodie last year.

You should have great weather. It's a great time to be in the City.

Blue Jay

i am goint to ny this summer to for 10 days and then for 6 weeks to ann arbor ;)

good to know that there is an alden store in ny. do you happen to know where to find it?

Canyon

Hey there. I went to New York last year to the Finger Lakes for an Indy summit and also too the Central part as well (I'm returning to the Finger Lakes again this year). :)

You'll want to visit Times Square where you may be interested in seeing something in particular...

GetAttachment.aspx

:D

ALRIGHT!:D
I'll surely visit Time Square! Too bad I can't see the pic!!
Thanks however Canyon:)

good to know that there is an alden store in ny. do you happen to know where to find it?

I directly contacted Alden Shoe website and here's the answer:

"Alden Shop, 344 Madison Ave 212-687-3023
Eneslow, 470 Park Ave, 212-477-2300

You can also visit Alden's website www.aldenshoe.com and click on stores,
for other locations."

I hope it will help you!

Hey there!:hat:
We're going to leave tomorrow morning, we'll take the direct flight from Rome to NY. I just can't wait!:p

Don't burn the Raven Bar while I'm out, ok??!:D

Have a nice time:whip:

Stoo

Doctor Jones'89 said:
We're going to leave tomorrow morning

Last minute info! Hope you get it in time...Check out this link for Forbidden Planet.
840 Broadway is the location of one of the greatest sci-fi stores in the world.
Really close to Union Square and worth stopping by, if you're in the area.

http://www.fpnyc.com/location/index.html

Enjoy yourself!:)

Ok, I'm finally ready to tell you the story of my epic vacantion to NY!
Me and my family leaved from Gubbio (our town) last Thursday in the early morning, heading to Rome, then we took our direct flight (our company was EuroFly) to New York City!

We arrived there after nine hours and we was pretty tired, so we catch a taxi and we went directly to our hotel in Manhattan (the Helmsley Hotel) to have some good sleep:sleep:

We spent the first day in Ny walking around Manhattan Uptown, in particoular we saw the NY Public Library, the Grand Terminal, St. Patrick Cathedral and Central Park(y) It was a beautiful spring day so we stayed the most of the day inside the Park, walking, eating some hot dogs or bagels, and taking a nap!

We used the metro a couple of time but we expored the city most by foot.

In the other days we visited a lot of places: Time Square, Union Square, Broadway, Chinatown, Little Italy (or what remains of it), Noho and Soho, Tribeca, Canal Street, Grand Street, Wall Street, Ground Zero, Liberty Island, Ellis Island, Staten Island and the Madison Square Garden.

We also went to the Metropolitan Museum and to the MoMA and I was truly astonished by the beauty of their collections (in the Metropolitan we saw a Renaissance masterpiece that comes from my city the Studiolo of our Ducal Palace---here the link:
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/studiolo/studiolo.html

I also bought my Alden and I also purchased a Reflex Digital Camera, the Nikon D60 + 18/55 mm lenses), but now I'll let the pictures talk!
PS: the pics have been rescaled from 3872x2592 to 1600x1200 to ease the download)

The city was full of Indy's posters:
Here's one in Time Square (Canyon now I understand what you meant:D )

Another one on the side of a bus!

Indy collection in Toys4us

Some random NY pics

The Precolombian collection in the Metropolitan...

Does it remind you something...? :D

Now I was TEMPTED! :whip:

Where was I now??...Egypt or still in NY:confused:

A beautiful piece of WOMAN!

My Alden shoes!

A nice squirrel posing for me

The Grand Central Terminal

"We're about to complete a great quest..." (in Planet Hollywood)

Forbidden Planet (and another Indy poster on a phone cab---on the left---)

Time Square

The Public Library

Who you gonna call?

Call me!

I hope you enjoyed them:cool:

The Adventurer

Great trip and thanks for sharing it with us by pictures. I like all, but the "gold" ones...well, they make me think about tones of gold melted by conquistadors, such a loss. They belong in a museum;) ...or in a privat collection:D...but don't melt the treasures(n) ;well, back to your trip:(y)

Hi Adventurer:hat:
Thanks for your kind words!
I'm agree with you about the golden artifacts, we had surely lost so many beautiful things after the conquistadores destroyed the American civilizations...
But if you think so, the same thing happens when the Roman Empire fell: first the barbarian hordes, then the Catholic Church (I HATE THEM:mad: !) melted so many statues and idols (judging them "pagan" art) that we'll never see anymore.
However I must admit that many other things (like the classic literature) survived thanks to the assiduous work of the scribe monks and many melted statues had been reconverted in new artworks (like St. Peter baldachin in Rome):)
I just hope that nowadays we'll not make the mistakes of the past generations!

Thanks again!

It was great!:D
Tons of comics and movie props! I never saw something like that in Italy, it was like being in the Simpsons's "Android's Dungeon":D
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, Stoo!